Feature Request: Add Instruments DSP Effect Parameter to Modulation Tab

So the way you modulate Plugin parameters with an Envelope is by using the keytracker to reset an lfo set to oneshot within custom mode. Thats a nice little hack, however the custom envelope function in the lfo device is lacking in functionality, especially when compared to the actual modulation tab of an instrument. I would be totally down for an option in a context menu of a plugin, to raise the parameter of that plugin to show up in the modulation tab (even if that only works for the ones within the instruments effects tab and not the pattern editor). However if the devs wanna stick to using the keytracker LFO combo please include an a(h)dsr function so that I can work with the sustain parameter.
thoughts?

is it possible to write a tool that does interacts with the instrument modulation tab?

Of course, it would not hurt to have an ADSR-like device in tracks as well, but keep in mind that everything in the track DSP applies to all signals, notes, FX within the track. So it could only be used like a classic ADSR if there’s only one instrument playing monophonically in the track. An ADSR is usually a per note/voice modulation, so it fits better into the sample modulation.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s possible.

2 Likes

the clap plugin format provides this functionality. It allows per-voice modulation of every parameter and is extremely efficient. but i wouldnt mind if the modulation isnt that granular. for me its enough if the envelope retriggers. exposing the plugin parameter in an instruments modulation tab and having its modualtor functions would be huge. i dont even care so much about the track dsp

can I leave this as a feature request as is or should we move this post to the tools discussion page?
Honestly for me the most exciting would be enhancing the modulation tab if thats possible. not what the posts title says anymore. (edited the title now)
It would be a huge gamechanger if you could easily add a parameter from an effect in the instruments dsp chains to the modulation tab. even if ‘only’ monophonically.

Who knows maybe Renoise supporting Clap with per-voice parameter modulation could be a candidate for a Renoise Version 4 upgrade that everyone has to pay for. I certainly wouldnt mind after years of using renoise to have a reason to fund its development by making a full new version upgrades payment mandatory (even though I would have to way to renoise 4.2 to pay again).

please provide more details about what “add a parameter from an effect in the instrument dsp chains to the modulation tab” would look like and how it would work.

i recently was working in this space and added loaders for modulation devices (
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.45.00
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.45.18
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.45.25
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.45.33
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.45.44
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.45.53

yep, it’s duplication, but that’s because the API does not currently allow for figuring out what the selected modulation tab is (Volume, Panning, Pitch, Cutoff, Resonance or Drive?) - leading to basically having to have 6 times the 8 modulation devices for loading them to each place - tedious, but it’s a functional workaround.

I’d be interested in finding out what else one might need in the Modulation view, and whether the API allows for it.

Please write some details for us @PrinzNika so it’d be easier to understand what’s wanted.

basically when you are inside an instruments dsp chain, you can right click a parameter and that opens a context menu with the option to raise the parameter to the modulation tab. and inside the modulation tab of the instrument you can then use the modulators on these parameters. the same should also be possible for the Macros! at least thats my idea of an upgraded workflow that integrates nicely with renoises prposed workflow

and just a reminder that the last time people had to pay to get the current version of renoise included, the would have had to buy renoise before 2010! (thats when 2.5 came out) come on please make us, your community pay you, for continuing your work on this project