filter scaling response ..

I really start to dislike the filter frequency scaling .

When applying a linear decaying envelope , we can clearly see how the filter responses behaves …

The first halve/part of the decaying curve is o;K. but the last part is to abrupt where it reaches 0

Changing envelope vurves have no effect on the last part of the decaying envelope .

We should need a rescaling of the filter’s freq .response

You could probably fix this with the formula device, I think the scaling formula’s for all DSP devices were posted here a while ago (can’t find them though, maybe someone can help?) - with these and a bit of maths you could set your own scaling curve…

Edit: Here is the post I was referring to:https://forum.renoise.com/t/kbd-to-filter-play-the-filter-resoance-not-quit-there-yet/44409 - Now for some maths :slight_smile:

Edit2: You could also stick the filters in a doofer and adjust the scaling that way, like so:

Click to view contents
true
    true
    Init
    Bundled Content
    true

Device only

Device only
      Cutoff

Exp Slow

Device only
      Resonance

Linear

Device only
      Macro 3

Device only
      Macro 4

Device only
      Macro 5

Device only
      Macro 6

Device only
      Macro 7

Device only
      Macro 8

false

Init
      Bundled Content
      true

true
          true
          Init
          Bundled Content
          true

Device only

2x
          Biquad

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

true

I’m talking about the polyphonic filters

I found a little relief in multiplying linear fader/curve/adhsr modules with each other, then shifting/rescaling the whole stuff with operators. It is a very fiddly business, but can result in smoother/snappier curves if done right.

For example multiply two time synced linear faders with each other - quadratic curve. Have one going from 1…0, the second from range…0 and then you can add a third addition operator to transpose the whole curve. And then you can adjust the curvature of the faders to control the slope even more.

It is the nerdiest shit, I know, but it works and makes better filter/pitch envelopes for me. For complex operations it might blow your brain or bust the 12 (I think) module limit of renoise.

Yes , there is no other option then to use multiple operators , whick kinda sucks when you want to control / automate .

I just wish the filter had a more natural decaying response , when using just one operator …especially towards the end of the decayng curve …lower frequency of the filter .

All of them fail in that department .

For example multiply two time synced linear faders with each other - quadratic curve.

Yes, I did this as well, except with four linear faders :slight_smile: It’s a bitch to adjust the Macro controls, though. But the envelope really sounds smoother and nicer this way, a lot better than whatever the curve shape setting does on the Fader modulation device.

Next time I’ll try just a quadratic one. The curve doesn’t look quite as good, so I added more, but I should judge it by sound, not by looks.

(sorry about the late edit, I messed up some keypresses writing this post)

yeah with some math magic you can get very nice responses. also the faders are most rewarding for the multiplication trick, due to their selectable curves…for simple envelopes they can work very well

though it can be a little sick and evil mind game to set things up - I mean it can be fun, but it sometimes eats more time than such things are supposed to. still I find it has to be done to make renoise sound better.

here look at this instrument. I made the curvature of a filter decay automatable!