First Impression : Reaktor is not worth the high price for me !

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. :yeah: I guess it is just not for me. I don’t see the advandage of orchestrating few (admittedly fine sounding and designed) racks over a highend software synth (like the U-Hes). Every midi related editing like Polyrhythm generators I can build with Renoise or program myself with one of the open source solutions easily. And I don’t need another sequencer in a sequencer at all (many ensembles have integrated sequencers).

I guess it is just no for me, respectively it does not suite my workflow, so I concentrate on Renoise/Redux/Reaper + sophisticated Synth VSTi and effects instead and for the occasional exotic gimmick I program something myself (if there is time in the future again, sigh :blush: )

Oh yeah. I understand that completely ! That’s why I didn’t really want to convince you. I just stepped in to give another point of view to other people.

When a soft’s not for you, it’s not for you.

That’s a pretty expensive lesson. Sorry for the pain. I try to find as many opinions (like OP) before buying something especially if it’s expensive.

People enjoy different food, women, software, etc. The Reaktor is my personal desert island pick.

Keep an eye out for Loomer “Epoch”. (Probably not the final name. Named because it’s already half a decade in development already
and the old thread on KVR is the biggest one ever… Like 90 pages or so… →

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=341953&sid=a02d805a00540cb56387925386ffb311

So there is a second thread now since a while, over 30 pages as well already… :slight_smile: )

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=454461&sid=a02d805a00540cb56387925386ffb311

EDIT: And there still is PlogueBidule and the (pretty amazing) recently released Usine Hollyhock 3. (Which I use a lot actually)

Well epoch will be ( if ever released ) a verry advanced modular midi environment (only ) , with the ability to host vst plugins

Honoustly I think it’s the greatest troll thread ever , the release has been postponed for years .

I very rarely come out and just say something like this, but this is one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever heard in my life. Only a complete fool would think they have something so incredibly complex figured out in a matter of days.

There are thousands of ensembles in the user library and some of them can do things that no other piece of software or hardware can do. It’s a gold mine that I’m still digging through and discovering new things after 5 years of using it. How you can make up your mind after 3 days of barely scratching the surface is a complete mystery to me.

It is a pity, that you seem to prefer to not read posts carefully, so I just hint you to a free product that is free and more capable than Reaktor : https://github.com/csound/csound

Maybe some time in the future you will be able to understand.

1 Like

You chose the Renoise forum for a thread like this? LOL, just about everybody with a license to Renoise has a license to Reaktor…

1 Like

Not me, but with VCV and Paulstretch and all sorts of other beautiful free software - who needs it? It is a beautiful synthesis creation-station, though!

2 Likes

I have yet to try this out myself, but I did recently find out that pd can run as a vst plugin with PDVST:

Reaktor Blocks is definitely my favorite feature in this one… I feel like I’m just, “scratching the surface,” and you get unbelievable fresh, cutting edge sounds.

Have one, too. Just saying, that there is a lot of free software, that can do something similar. PD, CSound, Supercollider as the old school tools plus a lot of new stuff, which came out the last 10 years. Please stop with the elitist bandwaggoning. Reaktor is good, but there is a LOT of free stuff, which is more in line with the demo scene culture, which Renoise is playing/played a big role in, too, so it is more in line with free/community driven tools.
Please stop digging out a years old thread and front me emotionally over a rational issue.

I make pop music. Reaktor has been on countless multi-platinum albums. Is used by everyone from underground bedroom producer, to Grammy winning superstar…

Csound and anything else you mentioned is not more capable than Reaktor. However, nothing you mentioned is as accessible as Reaktor

You are probably right. My question now would be, how can this deficiency of accessability of GNU/Linux based audio tools be overcome ? Most probably you have other personal challenges.

Might I ask which ensembles you mainly use from Reaktor for your productions ? I still have a license, but did not reinstall it, yet.

“I have other personal challenges?” What is that supposed to mean?

Are you trying to be rude?

No, it just implies, that you focus on the music and not the platform. I am not trying to be rude, but it is obvious from your posts, that you do not care about monopolization in the software “market”. Microsoft is actively trying to undermine the GNU/Linux and open source community and Renoise is one of the few successfull projects, which is working flawlessly on Linux, even though it is not open source, which is fine, but NI for instance has done NOTHING in order to deliver working Linux versions (DSSI or compatible VST like U-he), which is also fine. But it heavily profited from open source software like CSound. CSound is the father of Reaktor and CSound is completely open. There should be more awareness.

I know what csound is to Reaktor. Since you don’t know me, please don’t try to assess what I care about

If u want an integrated modular type system and tracker. Check out Radium if i understand correctly PD is intergrated in that program and its a tracker.

Okay man. I did not want to offend you, sorry for that.

1 Like

Thanks, looks great ! When I build it from source it will be in demo mode I suppose ?