[fixed] Redux: running out of memory when loading "large" SFZ

I am demoing redux on Linux 6 bits (and find it very nice). When I read that it could load SFZ, I was… happy. And it does, except that it seems that large SFZ produces out of memory errors. Try the free salamnder piano for instance.

Hello.

Yes, Redux loads samples into RAM, is not really intended to be a “universal”, from-disk-streaming SFZ player. There are loads of plugins which do this job just fine. Kontakt for example, or the Linux sampler project on Linux.

It’s not, because we’re aiming for a different workflow with samples in Redux (and Renoise): Samples can always be destructively edited in the sample editor, projects will always bundle all samples with the project file too (are always self-contained), so you don’t have to worry about missing samples when moving/reloading your setups.

The other reason why we currently don’t support direct from disk streaming, is that you can in theory playback any sample from any position at any pitch and direction with sample commands in phrases (or patterns in Renoise). Because of those possibilities to manipulate sample playback, it’s also quite hard (up to impossible) to correctly preload chunks of audio files into RAM. And preloading of sample chunks which may be played back next is necessary for direct from disk streaming to work properly.

BUT, what of course should not happen is that Redux crashes when running out of memory while trying to load X GBs of samples. I’ll check if there’s a problem we’ve missed. When running very low on memory the hosts may easily start crashing too though.

The real problem seems more that it seems as if Redux could be used for such kind of instruments. Maybe it’s because if the use of the SFZ format. We needed a format to manage keyzone presets in Redux and wanted to avoid inventing just another format, so we used SFZ. It is not used as a generic instrument format in Redux though, but just as a multi-sample definition. So loading SFZ files also won’t replace the entire instrument in Redux, but only the samples (keeps modulations and DSP chains untouched).

Maybe it then helps if we spit out a warning before loading huge SFZ instruments then (explaining that samples are loaded into RAM), so you know what you get?

Thanks for this accurate answer. It makes sense now. It’s just that Linux Sampler has some limitations and Linux Audio lacks of a better SFZ player.

This said, maybe something should be done for preventing crashes.

It’s an awesome idea though, because you can swipe a million premapped samples you couldnt otherwise.

It’s an awesome idea though, because you can swipe a million premapped samples you couldnt otherwise.

I’m not sure I understand.

This said, maybe something should be done for preventing crashes.

Found the problem. Will be fixed in the next update. It should then, at least, gracefully fail with an “out of memory” error instead of crashing down.