Forum R.I.P. Kaneel

Kaneel needs to learn to ignore assholes… that’s all there is to it. He puts too much weight on the opinions of people who really don’t fucking matter. It saddens me to see him so manipulated by people who are just out to step on others.

I was about to yell and scream that this wasn’t on youtube anymore, but someone mirrored it

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x1zyx5

who’s making the drama though? looks at thread he asked for this account to be deleted - what’s so unreasonable or drama about that? especially since there is no way to tell what his reasons are. that there even is a thread about it I consider polite and preventing confusion, not drama.

for me internet overdosing and subsequent account harakiri absolutely are an integral part of it all, it’s like shedding skins. dunno, I do think it sucks, too, it’s a shame, but at the same time I can respect it. it’s the kind of thing I do myself, and fuck everybody who thinks they are entitled to anything anybody posts online… !

so yeah, may mr. Kaneel find what he is looking for, and be back sometime.

He put a LOT of effort into that last album. And I put a LOT of effort into the mastering too, literally took weeks of fine tuning. It was a bit disappointing to see such a tepid response to its release. It’s hard to keep up spirits when your work isn’t getting the buzz you hoped for. Some people take this on the chin, others get hurt by it. Depends on sensitivities.

Let’s face it, most of us here aren’t really that interested in each other’s art, if we have art at all. Most of us are here to learn more about Renoise, and how to make our bass more wobbly, how to cut up breaks, how to do side chain compression, how to mix, how to master, and so on. Technical insecurity. You don’t see many threads about the emotional or spiritual value of music, nor discussion about the ideological matters of music. I see a lot of fussing over technique but not a lot of passion, not a lot of heart. I see a lot of disposable diluted music and not much magic with longevity. I see it more likely that this thread will turn into quibbling about etiquette rather than talk about Kaneel’s musical ideas.

This place used to feel a little more warm and homely, but things grow bigger and we get tired of repeating ourselves on trivial matters. Good luck to him.

MMD, didn’t that album get like 200 downloads in one week or somethin?

Who says it is purely for the drama?
Perhaps he got fed up of his artist-phenomenom and is just ready to do something completely new. Give the guy a break

I wish to cancel my account on Renoise forum to promote my music, please.

1 Like

I get your point, but you must remember that there are probably only about a handful of renoise users who check forums regularly ( when i say a handful i probably mean about one or two hundred :)) which seems to correspond to the number of downloads his album got in a week, so i dont think that lack of interest from the renoise forum side is the issue here (i downloaded the album myself, and i love it). I would argue that trying to promote an album online through nothing but word of mouth, is a very tricky way to find good publicity. Most artists become succesful through performing live shows, then having an album to market as well. Look at any successful electronic musician- they perform live regularly, have taken MANY years or trial and error, and normally only gain proper recognition with their third or fourth album. The only artists who become successful through the internet alone are those who manage to have some sort of viral video out there, and their success is as fleeting as the fame that they are often bombarded with. All i can say to kaneel is this : Hang in there! You are an invaluable asset to the electronic music scene, AND the renoise forums… Dont let a poor initial response jade your enthusiasm, the quality of your works will be recognised in time, if you just stick with it. The internet is merely a tool to supplement your art, certainly not the only (or most successful)medium through which it can be shared :) get out there and get some good old fashioned gigs going :D

I can only speak for myself and have to say that even though I use this community to learn more tricks and tweeks with Renoise I am here to find music made by others also. If it wasn’t for the ability to listen to what others have made using Renoise I wouldn’t have learnt half of what I know today. Listening to someone elses song(s) (made in Renoise) I get inspiration, ideas, and lots of aha-moments since I get to hear stuff I may not have thought about myself before. If it wasn’t for this community I would never have discovered great talents and music by JBL, eatme, D Fast, Kaneel, MMD, Suva, Saine, Mick Rippon, dep… just to mention a few.

So, I am not here just because software support. I do care about the community as well. I do want to hear what others make. I do want to learn about other Renoise-musicians.

But I also respect Kaneels desicion as well. It’s not like he’s going to stop making music (I hope he won’t). He will just not partake in the community as much as before. Although I’d never go that far myself.

Vive la Kaneel!

I don’t know anything about this particular forum member “Kaneel”. But from what I can read between the lines of his own bye-bye post, he seems to be making a healthy move away from second-handed elements in life.

It’s never good to (subconsciously) adopt second-hander attitudes. Making music with heart and soul is too much of a personal matter; it needs to be untouched, exclusive. It is incompatible with seeking an audience or any approval from others. Any focus on such seeking will lead into a dead end, it’s just a matter of time and pressure.

Keep up with your music making, but trash the second-hander attitude. Then you’ll eventually discover that only when you reach the psychological state of being indifferent to the response of other people, in any form or matter, will your subconscious be free to access the best within yourself.

(Btw, actually it works like this in romance too. When you’re happy and confident with your life as a single, you will attract potential partners. If not, by subconsciously seeking the approval of others – parents, girls, friends, society, anybody – women will sense that and reject you.)

What’s this then? Someone didn’t like his latest release? Haters gonna hate etc.

I would have said “please keep at least those nice tutorial vids on youtube” but I guess that’s too late now.

How does me not appreciating what I see as self-deprecation indicate that I don’t care? Kaneel has many times commented that he has issues with others’ receptions to his music, so it only makes sense that he deleted his account because of his feelings towards that issue… he’s made quite a few comments recently about how he feels he has no musical talent… and that’s self-deprecation. Now obviously I’m not aware of the entire situation, but how am I supposed to presume anything else when that’s all I’ve seen recently? Presuming I don’t care because I make a comment that I think it’s lame that he deleted his account because of self esteem issues is lame in itself… I care quite alot about Kaneel as I’ve known him in an online context since I joined these forums and set up the official Renoise IRC channel with him. His music is inspired and unique, and he has no reason to be shooting himself down because of the response or nonresponse of assholes who couldn’t care less about his genius or his personal success. I feel he spends significantly too much time looking for the approval of people who shouldn’t really matter to him, and not nearly enough time finding the audience he most definitely deserves. This is precisely why I said it was a lame move to delete his account… because I honestly felt he did it for the wrong reasons. Granted, there’s obviously more to the story than that, which I’ve gleemed a bit about since, but I find it hilarious that you picked the quote of one of the persons most disturbed by the “Kaneel leaving the forums” situation and claim that it’s an indication of people not caring.

I made that comment precisely because of how much I care… and IF the move to leave had been made simply because Kaneel was having poor self esteem issues, my comment about not having respect for the move because it was nothing more than self deprecation would have been quite an apt representation of my feelings on the subject… but keep in mind that not respecting a single action one has made is NOT an indication of lack of respect for the person who made it. In fact, quite the opposite: If one takes the time to point out lack of respect for one thing that someone’s done, but doesn’t criticize anything else they’ve done, it quite possibly be a sign that they respect the person and simply think they’ve made a poor choice. So congrats on choosing the worst possible example of “noone really caring”.

As long as Kaneel’s not giving up on music, I’m happy.

oh?
strange descision, but its up to him, possibly a crafty self promotion ploy?
he showed me a few things in renoise
i encourage anyone to mirror his vids

Good Bye Mr Kaneel. I enjoyed your posts and videos. I wish you the best luck on your internet suicide. Hope everything works out for you.

The saddest news I’ve ever read here on renoise forums. :( He is somehow the most amiable renoiser on this forum.

Well, that sucks. I wonder what brought that on.

That video (And solely that video) is what got me started on renoise in the first place.

Kaneel will be missed.

Heh you are all too easy. It was just a publicity stunt.

Yes, I’m in this forum to learn about my tool, my instrument, Renoise. I think & talk about music everyday (ideological, emotional, espiritual, etc). I have a sound cloud account, a myspace…
Besides that, I’m interested in other threads, here in Renoise forums.
About Kaneel, I think taking away his video tutorials is a bad move. And that one needs to think about making great music, thats first, then, if you want to be famous or get recognition , well, thats another story.