Four things I seem to be unable to do with Renoise

Hi. Though I’ve known Renoise for a long time, it’s only recently that I started attempting to use it frequently. I’m used to Modplug Tracker (OpenMPT). The basic things are the same, and I managed to use Renoise’s settings to make it easier for me to get used to it. But there are three things that would come in handy I’ve been unable to do. Maybe it’s possible. Maybe it’s not. So here they are:

1. Deleting everything in a selection. Pressing “Del” won’t do. I can do it by cutting the selection, but if I want to delete the things without copying them to the clipboard, I can’t. Is there a way?
  2. Changing the instrument of the contents of a selection. In OpenMPT, I can, say, select a whole track, select a different instrument, press Ctrl + I, and thus change the instruments of all the selected notes. I haven’t found a way of doing this in Renoise. Is it possible?
  3. Configuring Renoise so that, when I enter a note in the last line of a pattern, the cursor goes to the first note of the next pattern, and not to the first line of the same pattern. Is this possible?
  4. Configuring Renoise so that, if I keep a key pressed, it won’t go on entering notes. I have been able to change the speed at which the note is repeated. Is it possible to configure it so that it’s not?

Ctrl+X (possibly you could remap it to del in preferences if you want…)

There’s a tool that does this though: Convert Instrument by Ledger. Awesome tool that I for sure couldn’t live without.

I think this is set by one of the toggle buttons in the lower left of the pattern editor. It’s called something like “wrap-around mode” or something. When you’re learning renoise you definitely want tooltips on for stuff like this.

Don’t know. If edit is off then you can keep pressing it right?

What i’d like is an option to keep the cursor on the bottom line in such case.

1. Deleting everything in a selection. Pressing “Del” won’t do. I can do it by cutting the selection, but if I want to delete the things without copying them to the clipboard, I can’t. Is there a way?

I think you have to Cut it. Renoise has multiple Clipboard though, so you can cut it into one which you don’t have data you want to keep ready to paste stored in it already.

1. Changing the instrument of the contents of a selection. In OpenMPT, I can, say, select a whole track, select a different instrument, press Ctrl + I, and thus change the instruments of all the selected notes. I haven’t found a way of doing this in Renoise. Is it possible?

Advanced Edit- Selection In Pattern ticked - Instrments box - Remap (once setting your source and destination instrument numbers. Will need to do it more than once if you are changing from more than one instrument.)

1. Configuring Renoise so that, when I enter a note in the last line of a pattern, the cursor goes to the first note of the next pattern, and not to the first line of the same pattern. Is this possible?

Wrap-around option Off. Second button from the left under Pattern Editor.

1. Configuring Renoise so that, if I keep a key pressed, it won’t go on entering notes. I have been able to change the speed at which the note is repeated. Is it possible to configure it so that it’s not?

I don’t think so… Why would you want to while editing without playback on??

Thank you, guys. I’ll try these things. I guess for that, for changing instruments, I’ll have to use the addon. And for deleting what’s in a selection, I might manage with using a different clipboard (I don’t usually use more than a single clipboard anyway).

As for not wanting to repeat notes if the key is pressed, it’s just that I like, when editing the pattern, to hear a long note so that I can know how the instrument sounds. If I have to disable recording while doing that, then I must play the note twice. I know it may be strange. But it’s the way I got used to work. Still, this is relatively unimportant. I’m getting used to it.

Also, you gotta know that the Convert Instrument tool I think has different shortcuts for ‘all notes in track’ ‘all notes in track in song’ and ‘all notes in selection’: awesome

Couldn’t you change the step length (for pattern editor) to zero to achieve this? Ctrl+0 (the zero above the P key, not the numpad)

Perhaps I don’t understand what you’re asking tho.

No. I just don’t want to be forced to let go of a key to prevent it from entering additional notes when I’m editing a pattern. Let’s say I’m entering the notes of a string section. I like to hear the long sound of it playing, so that, while I’m entering the notes, I can listen to how long notes will sound, which is how they will sound when I play the song, instead of having them cut off. This wouln’t be a problem if I recorded the song in real time, but I don’t work that way.

I guess I’ll just have to get used to it. It’s not a big deal.

No need to use a tool for this. As said you can use advanced edit.
Advanced edit is a panel that is on the right side of the pattern. Its expanded by clicking the button above the pattern scrollbar, just below the instrument list.