Frogs, Logs & The Grue

Back again chaps with more pics. This first batch were taken a couple of weeks ago on a very wet day at the bottom of Craigellachie. Not far in, I came across a tree that had bizzarely snapped right at the base.

Moving swiftly along since it was really pissing it down, I came to the mysterious ‘Bottomless Loch’ and scared off a heron, but never got a good shot of it.

I did however find approximately 6 billion freshly hatched frogs stumbling along the path. Seriously, they couldn’t move properly yet, so I managed to get in real close.

Moving around the loch I stopped to get the shots below and also found the main batch of spawn.

It’d been very windy recently and branches getting ripped off in the forest is normal. Having nearly half of a tree torn apart however was not exactly expected.

And moving closer to the road, there’s nothing quite like some horrible strewn garbage to get your enviro-rage up.

Fast forward to this Monday and I took a hike up to Tullochgrue, a place where you can get some great shots of the Cairngorms, but also one which is suffering from a squawking plague of horny pheasants.

One of ye olde abandoned farmhouses that I didn’t venture into due to my olde unabandoned fear of lockjaw and horny pheasants.

And finally a couple of landscape style pics.

:yeah:

The adventures of Achenar continue!

Thanks, inspiring pics…

sweet pictures

thanks for sharing

“The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.”

I SEE NO GRUE!!! … probably because your pics were all in the light of day

Also, that cable strewn about would make a good prop for a video :P

I was wondering if anyone would know what a grue was, aside from a shortening of the place ‘Tullochgrue’. I suspect there’s one in that farmhouse. Another reason not to venture in.

this is beautiful and inspirational. thanks, Achenar

some of the tree damage looks like it was done by lightning possibly