Ghost Images

Sorry if this idea has been already said, I’m a newbie. How about ghost images in the envelopes of notes and what ever else data that’s in there.

I like it and would use it. But make it optional because I wouldn’t want even more pressure on CPU.

I don’t understand what you mean… Envelopes don’t hold any audio data… They modulate sound… Perhaps if you could put up a graphic or something…

I made a picture Envelope

That envelope right there, controls automation. When its connected it shows you your answer via pop-up box… The envelope automatically determine an, “on/off,” range of zero to 100%, depending upon the parameter it is connected to… Although panning, and volume of your track show left/right/center and level respectively…

I guess specifically what you are looking for, is the envelope to convert percentage to pitch for you. As that is what your image shows. Quite complex, as the rules for this would change depending on the Synth, plugin, or instrument the envelope was automating. If your range is 0 to 1200 cents, where 0 = 0% and 1200 = 100%, than you have a range of 1 octave… If 0% = C, than basically 10% = C#… give or take a few cents… it will be 20 cents sharp

No I just need a reference to where the data is. Ghost images of faint ones of the pattern editor. I don’t like looking up at the pattern editor and figuring out where I want the envelope to go.

When I started with Renoise I found it difficult to sort out where I was, on the pattern editor, when I was making automation adjustments… Hopefully the image helps, but keep in mind, Renoise’s automation is tied to an instrument, not a track. If you have a synth, or an instrument that has a note on line 16 in track 1, and a note on line 40 in track 8, than its possible to set yourself up for real confusion by having another representation in the automation envelope itself. especially because automation is not tied to the track… the only information that is important, is where about in the pattern are you at any given point in time… information that is already given imo…

And I’m not negating your feature requests. I am just trying to help. :slight_smile: maybe you are new at the program, maybe you have been a user since version 1. I don’t know. I am just offering some help, in case your feature request is not implemented… maybe you can see this as a workaround or something…

Cheers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ah, there is a misunderstanding here. MrKarx isn’t talking about instrument envelopes. What he suggests are icons representing pattern events, such as triggered notes, in the effects automation curves which are tied to the seperate tracks. In my opinion renoise does need this since the automation curves are very hard to navigate since your mind has to switch from vertical to horizontal and convert the position of events which can be very confusing at times and is the reason I personally never use the automation curves but pretty much only the pattern FXs to control dsps.
+1

Great idea. That’s why I offered a workaround in case it did not happen B) but the idea does call for looking at automation as A. automation that can be tied to a track. B. automation that is not tied to a track. C. What are the types of data can be seen as, “ghost image’d.” 1. Tracks events… ( types of events. ) 2. Vst events ( types of events ) 3. rhythmic events ( types of events ), etc, etc, etc…

Maybe I am confusing the idea still?

I do not think this is a bad idea… Because I love ghost images, ghost data, and all things about that. I think its an idea that might not come for a version or two, "who knows? right?, which is why I offered a work around…