Good way to clean up live playing

Hello all,

I am a big fan of using Renoise for sequencing, but am wondering if there are any ways people work with live midi playing in Renoise that is… a bit cleaner. Are there any tools or techniques that anyone uses to organize live playing in Renoise’s tracker based sequencer? I really like being able to play directly into a pattern, but are there better ways of live midi playing? I like the quantize while recording function, but would really like to also preserve the original playing.

isnt the best way topreserve the original playing, to just turn quantize off & then nudge the ones u dont like a bit around here & there?

maybe me got ur question wrong though, then just let me know.

Well, sure, but I was just wondering if there is anything special or techniques that people do to make it easier to work with their live playing.

first (my workflow) me needs some kind of #metronome …this could be the built in one, or just some simple type of drum-groove, even a bassline could work here for example if you wanna jam a ‘loose’ melody over it. yet some kind of metronome should help you to play them notes in pretty tight. occasionally it can also help to lower ur bpm to play in the notes, then when u r satisfied, just turn it back to the original tempo; this can work well with basses & drums, if you having complicated stuff going on there, I might have to mention that I rarely use the quantize feature to play, as its too rigid and robotic for me, even u could re-program some feel back in there with humanizing stuff & nudging around, yet this can also be pretty time - consuming, depending on what kind of music ur doing.

Well, sure, but I was just wondering if there is anything special or techniques that people do to make it easier to work with their live playing.

https://www.renoise.com/tools/auto-clone-patterns

Very handy if you’re improvising.

What I tend to do is play/record a lot, then select the parts I like and tweak them, editing down the results to keep just what I want.

very interesting topic

so far, i see (as beginner) renoise as a very sophisticated and fast tool for transcription (a little similar to guitar pro or a text editor)
have always a drumachine or a bass handy to play the written or to complement

I am interested in peoples interpretations on how to use renoise live.

I am not yet, tho am planning to soon. Currently I use a controller like my mpk 2 to control different vst and once set up an xbox controller as a midi controller,

tho I must admit I haven’t dived into this side of things really.