Greetings and my first track in Renoise

Greetings!

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for this amazing Renoise community. It is truly one of a kind and a beautiful place to read and learn. Few days ago I have re-discovered the tracking-style composing by downloading the demo version of Renoise. In an effort to remind myself how patterns are put together, I have tried to compose my first track in Renoise. I still have to learn a lot to make my workflow easier, but I would like to share my first effort and hear what you think. Ignore the bit of silence at the beginning (still have to learn how to make zero pattern silent in a different way!), the song starts from the first pattern.

I have tried to upload it to the songs sections, but it seems that it is only possible to share direct links to actual audio files. Hopefully, I can attach the file here and it is not a violation of the forum’s rules. :slight_smile:

Once again, thank you so much! It’s great to be here!

Iceman

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately we aren’t able to hear some of what you’ve written without the same 3rd party plugins as you (Omnisphere and Rapture).

Happy Easter to everyone!

Thank you for your reply, Dex! Yes, I realized that other people would not be able to hear some of the parts that I have used in the file. I just thought of the old Scream Tracker / FT2 times when every sample was included in the module file. Loading a VST instrument, I somehow thought that it auto sampled the patch into the module file. :slight_smile: I see that there is Renoise Plugin Grabber tool, but I am not entirely sure how it works. Do you think that Plugin Grabber would allow making a sample from the VST instrument patch, thus making it possible for the file to be “playable” by anyone?

Another thing that I wanted to try is using hardware instruments. How would it work? I believe that I would have to sample a hardware instrument somehow. Still have to learn how it is done and what are the benefits.

I have Sonar 8.5 Producer software (this is where I’ve got Rapture) and I am wondering if sampling included VST patches is an option and a possibility. :slight_smile: Any thoughts / suggestions are more than welcome!

Thank you again and my apology for sending a native Renoise file with 3rd party plugins…

Iceman

Just a quick thought/my preference tip for the OP… I notice you have (what I call) a ‘octave jump bass’ going. What I tend to do is rather than just toggle octave every other line, I find it a little more interesting if you add rests and maybe a little more deviation. My little musical preference entirely however :slight_smile:

Just a quick thought/my preference tip for the OP… I notice you have (what I call) a ‘octave jump bass’ going. What I tend to do is rather than just toggle octave every other line, I find it a little more interesting if you add rests and maybe a little more deviation. My little musical preference entirely however :slight_smile:

4Tey, thank you so much for your sharing your thoughts and for taking time to hear my track! :slight_smile: You are absolutely right - there is an “octave jump bass” pattern going in the song. I have heard your example, which I really liked, and I see your point. Such approach really makes bass lines more interesting and less static. I love what you did in your example and will try to see what kind of changes I could introduce to my own effort. :slight_smile:

I wanted to ask if there is a place where I could read about all the special pattern commands like what x00 and F00 or C22 mean and stand for. Maybe there is a table of some kind or a link that would list the basic commands? I remember few commands here and there from the old tracker days, but as a ten-year-old kid, I did not write the entire list down for reference when I had it. :blush: :smiley:

Thank you so much again for your help and an amazing example! Take the best care and Happy Easter to you!

Iceman (Denis)

No trouble, only a quick example :slight_smile:

Effect reference documentation (and a reference card link) I think is around page -> http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Effect_Commands

_

I wanted to ask if there is a place where I could read about all the special pattern commands like what x00 and F00 or C22 mean and stand for.

Read renoise.com: User Manual: “Effect Commands” for detailed explanation.

In renoise interface there is quick reference at the bottom of the Pattern Editor.

7338 rnsfx.jpg

And there is _ very very nice _ video tutorial series at Renoise YouTube channel: Effect Commands

_

Happy Easter to everyone!

Thank you for your reply, Dex! Yes, I realized that other people would not be able to hear some of the parts that I have used in the file. I just thought of the old Scream Tracker / FT2 times when every sample was included in the module file. Loading a VST instrument, I somehow thought that it auto sampled the patch into the module file. :slight_smile: I see that there is Renoise Plugin Grabber tool, but I am not entirely sure how it works. Do you think that Plugin Grabber would allow making a sample from the VST instrument patch, thus making it possible for the file to be “playable” by anyone?

Yes the plugin grabber would make that possible. However there’s probably something in the EULA’s for the 3rd-party plugins that prevents you from legally releasing the xrns then.

_

Read renoise.com: User Manual: “Effect Commands” for detailed explanation.

In renoise interface there is quick reference at the bottom of the Pattern Editor.

attachicon.gifrnsfx.jpg

And there is _ very very nice _ video tutorial series at Renoise YouTube channel: Effect Commands

_

In addition you will often come across xrns files or forum posts which use the “old style” effect commands. A list of these can be found here:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-pattern-fx-commands/34424

4Tey , thank you so much for the link! Your example has inspired me so much and made me feel confident about variations and experimentation! :slight_smile:

Raegae , kiitos! :slight_smile: Renoise manual is one of the best manuals that I encountered. I still have to see the Youtube tutorials. :slight_smile: It will be of great help as it shows how certain things can be implemented in practice. Sometimes there are little things that a newbie misses that can radically change the workflow.

Dex , yes, I also thought about EULA’s 3rd party plugins, which would forbid any sampling activity. But it’s great that there are lots of sound fonts that can be modified and free samples. While VST instruments are great, there is much more challenge and motivation in using free samples and one’s own samples. I wonder if situation is the same about legal side with hardware instruments.

I did encounter some old style commands in XRNS tracker files. I am planning to see how my old Fast Tracker / Scream Tracker files play in Renoise. :slight_smile: Your link is very helpful as I still remember the old commands and will be happy to learn the new ones! :slight_smile:

– Iceman