Hardware Drum Machine

I am currently in a new search for some hardware, specifically a drum machine. I am looking for sound similar to Luke Viberts drum sounds…does anyone know what he uses?

don’t know what he uses, but maybe you can find out on http://www.vintagesynth.com

but if you are on this board you probably have a great software drum computer called Renoise ;)

I remember him saying something about layering drums to achieve that full sound…to me, that sounds like he’s using a sampler (or perhaps, multiple drum machines!!)

808 / 909 ?

Consider getting a Yamaha rs7000.
Great drum sounds + sampling and synthesesis (the latter being somewhat limitied, though still useful). Great sequencer, plenty filters and awesome effects as well! :D

Vibert uses Reason.
Just find some samples…

Okay so I scrapped the drum machine idea and Im looking at either the future retro revolution, the vermona perfourmer or korg radias. The future retro looks appealing because of its sequencer, but id rather have the sounds of the latter synths. Any thoughts? I need an analog sequencer for my red square as well

Layering is the way to go :)

But if you insist on getting a drummachine, Yamaha RS7000 is ace
… if you can’t get an affordable Roland off Ebay ;)

That’s what I’m trying to say! ;) :D

It’s expensive, but you might want to take a look at the Elektron Machinedrum. (or Monomachine.)

A lot of the IDM guys are well into them. (Machinedrum’s basically a drum synthesizer/sequencer, but it can do a lot more and can sequence other gear too.)

My own big recommendation would be picking up an Emu Classic sampler - (they’re dirt cheap right now on ebay… an E6400 or something… if anyone in the Hiphop scene realised they sound as good as SP1200’s, their price could shoot up 500% in a very short time) - and the Goldbaby drum machine samples, (like Tape808 and things.)

The Emu makes a BIG difference. I don’t even know why this is, but normally when you play 808 or Linn samples on an Akai or through a good computer soundcard, they sound somehow thinner and less rawkus and upfront - (a real 808 has quite a big sound it puts out, which just doesn’t sound or feel the same when you’re using samples) - but through an Emu you get that big, authentic sound. Playing the Goldbaby 808 samples through my E6400 (and make sure you sample them in, and don’t just import them digitall) it really sounds and feels like an 808.

And I love the Yamaha QY700 for sequencing. I know Aphex Twin’s got one, and Tom Jenkinson still sequences everything on it afaik. Really tight, really solid, really fast to use. Basically a h/w Renoise with an optional Piano roll and additional linear sequencer (along with the pattern sequencer.)

I’m tempted by the Korg Radias too… The Z1 is one of my favourite synths - really covers a lot of bases. Can only imagine the Radias offers even more. But then again, not into some of the cheesy D&B demo’s I’ve heard off the thing.

(Youtube is probably the best way to check out gear short of actually going into shops and using it. And tbh, I can’t think straight when I’m in shops checking things out anyway, so it’s Youtube all the way for me. Demo’s of everything you could imagine.)

Indeed! I forgot to quote you as a matter of fact, sorry :)

If you insist upon hardware, the only ones I’ve ever liked using are the Roland MC 808 and 909. I’ve owned a couple Boss machines and an older Korg Electribe and they left a lot of be desired IMO. I definitely prefer software. Of all the hardware and software I’ve used, I’m convinced Renoise is the best thing going for beats.

And I believe it was said a few posts above mine, but layering layering layering. Also, I’ve found if you’re working with a loop, a very basic idea that works great as far as layering is concerned is starting loops at different points in the sequence.

For example, if you’re working with 2 loops and a 64 step sequence and just want a basic “beat” with no pattern effects, it gets a little more interesting if you start Loop A at 00, letting it run out, then Loop B at 00, 24, and 48. Adjusting volume, panning, etc accordingly of course.

Tbh, there’s much better stuff out there than Boss drum machines and MC303s.

Emu SP1200, Akai MPC’s, Sequential Studio 440, etc. then you’ve got the new Roger Linn thing, Machinedrum, JoMox XBase, etc.

And like I was saying, if you get a chance to use a real 808 or 909, you get a sound you just won’t be familiar with if you’re only used to using second-gen samples.

The other thing about hardware is that it gives you more ways to interact with music.

You can weigh up pros and cons all day, but as a musician, it’s insane to choose to restrict yourself to one way of working.

Check out some Machinedrum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtxX0VEpMSI that gives you so many possibilities in terms of sound generation and interaction that you won’t get from Renoise (as great as it is)