Have a mono-button, 2 check 4 dissapearing sounds

To check for phase cancellation is what I meant (had to look it up heh).

I don’t understand what it is you are looking for… why would you have to have a button for that?

Well, what I wrote is what I meant. :)
Explanation (I’ll try) : sometimes when you use a stereo effect on a sound, it sounds perfectly ok in stereo, but when you hear it played back on eg a mono radio station, the stereo sound could disappear. With a button, one could quickly check if this stereo sound is still there when the track is heard in mono.

Ofcourse, this could be checked when rendering in mono, but a button would be much faster.

I do know what phase-cancellation is… I just didn’t understand why you wanted to force your channel into mono-mode so that it could occur.

I don’t think it’s a very useful function, but maybe that’s just me…? I mean, there will always be parts of sounds missing if you convert stereo to mono…

Scebario: If you set a instrumet panning to 100% left… and then later on a radio-station plays the same song in mono… (with a mono-converter which simply take 50% right and 50% left) then the song will not sound as it was intended…

…atleast that’s what I think he meant… so I guess It would be quite usefull

I will add a “Mono” device to the native effects section. This is fast done.
Any furhter ideas for what it should do/control ?

How about mono 0% - 100% instead of just a mono button?

How about mono 0% - 100% instead of just a mono button?

??? What would that do ???

Do you mean like:
Lout = L*(1-v) + Rv
Rout = R
(1-v) + L*v
with v from 0.0 to 1.0 (100%)?
In words, panning each channel individually towards the center?

I still don’t see what that would be useful for though.

actually i suggested ages ago (via mail to taktik) add “stereo” param to the gainer. and when “stereo”=0 then it mix channels to mono, when stereo=200 then it expand stereo difference between channels. this is totally equal to little steinberg’s “stereo expander” vst…

this is very indispensable sometimes, trust me.

Thanks for adding a device taktik.
For me, it shouldn’t have anything more.
It saves having to render the song in mono and then check if it’s ok.

For example if you want to reduce the stereo image of an instrument. Some VSTi’s produce very wide sounds…

ok :)

actually i suggested ages ago (via mail to taktik) add “stereo” param to
the gainer. and when “stereo”=0 then it mix channels to mono, when
stereo=200 then it expand stereo difference between channels. this is
totally equal to little steinberg’s “stereo expander” vst…

Ok, then lets add it to the gainer. A new device would be an overkill.

yay:)

Resurrecting the thread to say: Yes, a mono button (in the master section of the mixer :D ) would be very nice!

There is a VST that will help you in the meantime called dfx monomaker here:

http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/extras/

if you don`t have it already :)

Ok, thanks. But (sorry, a real newbie question:) is there a master bus to apply that plug to?

No probs, :) yes, have a look at the third set of screenshots down here:

http://tutorials.renoise.com/?n=Renoise.Tracks

The Master track is always to the right of the normal tracks and left of your sends in renoise.

Ok, thanks! So I’ll just add that plug to the master, turn it off and save that song as a template.

(But I’ll still be waiting for a mono button on the mixer. :lol:)