Hello, I have a question

I’m worried about that I uploaded an instrument that contains sound sampled from and steinberg vst called dark planet, this is a plug in you have to pay for. Its not the original sound but the samples to the original preset from that vst plugin is pretty similar. Is this likeillegal pirating? do I have to remove the instrument I uploaded? help me figure this out

Its not the original sound but the samples to the original preset from that vst plugin is pretty similar

Then I think you need not worry. After all, you’re not making money by selling this instrument?

Of course, “pretty similar” is an open definition, but it’s usually rending of pure presets (especially with ROMplers) that are discouraged.

“pretty similar” it doesn’t actually sound the exact same. But can I sample from any source? Films, cds, actual physical synths or instruments freely? Freely to use in my own production and distribute to help others?

I understand that i can’t just copy a hole part of another song, like a loop and make may own remix without permission, or can I?

But what about samples?

so I cant sample from my synth that has built in sounds? only if i own it then?

It’s a huge and complicated subject, but the essence is quite simple.

If you’re distributing and/or reselling sounds you might need to be aware of any conditions attached to those sounds. If you’re publishing music the sounds are usually part of a larger context and no such issue exist.

With softsynths, it’s usually a case of changing them from the original preset, enough that it’s not a 1:1 representation of the original sound. And even then, often there is no problem rendering a sound like that, since you most likely won’t capture the full character of the original synth.

Some sounds are “iconical” enough (say, 808 drums) that soundware companies obscure the sounds through layering and by adding effects. And these companies are definitely not out to break the law :slight_smile:

So in this case, I really think you’re fine

With softsynths, it’s usually a case of changing them from the original preset, enough that it’s not a 1:1 representation of the original sound. And even then, often there is no problem rendering a sound like that, since you most likely won’t capture the full character of the original synth.

Precisely. I use samples almost exclusively in my work for years, some sampled from commercial products, and I’ve never been in any legal trouble over doing it.

I understand that i can’t just copy a hole part of another song, like a loop and make may own remix without permission, or can I?

Frankly, I would simply avoid this. There are a myriad of ways of producing sounds from samples that don’t rely on literally “copying” someones work. That being said, it’s somewhat common in some dance genres to have another artist’s material sampled and then mangled up so much that it doesn’t have much resemblance to the original and included in the mix.

Cheers.