Help, choise studio monitors bi-amped 5-7", room 10m2, front bass

I sometimes see those Yamaha HSx monitors selling at Massdrop and I think I’m going in when I see them listed again.

I have a pair of HS8. Really like them, great sound, but I might have been better off with a smaller set. They can be quite loud. :slight_smile: But I got a really good deal on them.

I don’t have a subwoofer. I have no need for one, for the kind of music I’m producing and the size of my studio. (This might be different if I had a smaller set.)

I have mine on speaker stands with some isolation padding, and nothing behind them.

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-hs7-hs8s

https://www.attackmagazine.com/reviews/the-best/ten-best-nearfield-studio-monitors/5/

Especifications Yamaha HS7:

• Speaker type 2-way bi-amp powered studio monitor
  • Frequency range (-10dB) 43Hz - 30kHz
  • Components LF 6.5" cone
  • HF 1" dome
  • Crossover 2kHz
  • Output power 95W (LF:60W, HF:35W)
  • I/O connectors XLR3-31 type (balanced), PHONE (balanced)
  • Power consumption 55W
  • Shape Bass-reflex type
  • Cabinet material MDF
  • Dimensions W 210mm (8.3")
  • H 332mm (13.1")
  • D 284mm (11.2")
  • Net weight 8.2kg (18.1 lbs.)
  • Others LEVEL control (+4dB/center click) , EQ: HIGH TRIM switch (+/- 2dB at HF) / ROOM CONTROL switch (0/-2/-4 dB under 500Hz)

My room is about 10m2. 95W and 43Hz - 30kHz.With these speakers would have power to spare.I’m worried about bass.Will it be too much for such a small room?

Thanks for the links!

Take into account that HS7s have a very bad shielding, or better let’s say almost none. So if you live near a mobile transmitter like me, you sometimes will hier the “be-be-beep” in the speakers. Never seen this problem here with any other vendor.

Especifications Yamaha HS7:

My room is about 10m2. 95W and 43Hz - 30kHz.With these speakers would have power to spare.I’m worried about bass.Will it be too much for such a small room?

Hard to say. Depends on the room. My room is maybe the same size or slightly larger. There’s a bass adjustment on the back of the speakers as well. I sit failry close to the monitors (1 meter or so). I’ll move around a bit to check the sound but mostly I sit in one place as I adjust things. I have them set at 50% volume and then never turn the PC to full volume. Just too loud.

I don’t think the bass would be too much though if you keep the overall volume comfortable. But room acoustics and speaker placement are going to factor in as well.

Whatever speakers you get you’ll have to get accustomed to how they sound in your room.

I started mixing on so-so headphones, and when I later heard the mix on my car speakers the bass was just too strong, tracks were quite muddy.

Now what I hear on the speakers are a pretty good indicator of what I’ll get in the car. (I also test things on other speakers and headphones.)

Nah, these ones:https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_nekkst_k8.htm?ref=search_rslt_Nekkst+K8_384428_0

Take into account that HS7s have a very bad shielding, or better let’s say almost none. So if you live near a mobile transmitter like me, you sometimes will hier the “be-be-beep” in the speakers. Never seen this problem here with any other vendor.

I wrote it down on the list!Compiling data… :slight_smile:

I have not read that many people have had problems with this…

Nah, these ones:https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_nekkst_k8.htm?ref=search_rslt_Nekkst+K8_384428_0

This model not seems great to me.8" would make my room very small.

Hard to say. Depends on the room. My room is maybe the same size or slightly larger. There’s a bass adjustment on the back of the speakers as well. I sit failry close to the monitors (1 meter or so). I’ll move around a bit to check the sound but mostly I sit in one place as I adjust things. I have them set at 50% volume and then never turn the PC to full volume. Just too loud.

I don’t think the bass would be too much though if you keep the overall volume comfortable. But room acoustics and speaker placement are going to factor in as well.

Whatever speakers you get you’ll have to get accustomed to how they sound in your room.

I started mixing on so-so headphones, and when I later heard the mix on my car speakers the bass was just too strong, tracks were quite muddy.

Now what I hear on the speakers are a pretty good indicator of what I’ll get in the car. (I also test things on other speakers and headphones.)

Thank you for this!I am seeing that it is important to equip each speaker (the rear controls).For example, Tannoy Reveal 502 does not have just rear controls, and that hurts the purchase…

I suppose using the HS7 in my room, I will have to regulate some rear switch to solve the bass (my main problem).

I’m going to have 4 listening sources:

1. Studio Monitors (what I lack)
  2. HiFi (my Technics equipment)
  3. Headphones x2 (Intra-auditory and circumaural)
  4. Car (seedy equipment) :smashed:

Thank you for this!I am seeing that it is important to equip each speaker (the rear controls).For example, Tannoy Reveal 502 does not have just rear controls, and that hurts the purchase…

I suppose using the HS7 in my room, I will have to regulate some rear switch to solve the bass (my main problem).

I’m going to have 4 listening sources:

1. Studio Monitors (what I lack)
  2. HiFi (my Technics equipment)
  3. Headphones x2 (Intra-auditory and circumaural)
  4. Car (seedy equipment) :smashed:

An important step is to listen to a good set of reference tracks, on each of your speakers, so you know how well-produced music ends ups coming out on each system.

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/creating-your-own-reference-cd

I have a Renoise “song” that has a dozen or so instruments that consist of short samples from a number of different songs, selected because they serve well for me as reference checks for different kinds of vocals, percussion, bass, balance, tone, etc.

It’s not very scientific, but I can more easily sample things that are more or less in the realm of the music I produce.

i recommend the yamaha hs series, and if u have enough money and a room with enough space to position them far away enough form the walls, buy the smaller ones (hs7 or 5) + their subwoofer. if u have to spare evry nickle and dime then buy the big ones (HS8). if u have a small room buy the tannoys, cos the bass reflex is from frontside´.

yamahas have a very “analytical” clean sound, while the tannoys have, almost significantly compared to yamahas, a more bass and sub characteristic. i had both of them and i dont regeret it so far^^.

with a bigger room i would have bought the big yamaha hs8, not the tannoy reveal 802.

(info: yamaha has a dedicated hs 8s subwoofer, while tannoys have none. at least i never saw one anywhere)

got mine all on b-stock. so i saved some money.

I have the hs8s.

The room I compose in is small and they work quite well in small rooms.

I got them because I mix in bigger rooms from time to time as well.

Just because they work well in bigger rooms doesn’t mean they won’t work in small rooms. You don’t have to mix loud, but you have that option.

They aren’t that much bigger than the 7s, but I believe the 7s may have a more accurate midrange, while the 8s have more accurate bass. That is subjective though.

I have this with my Presonus Eris E8, never had it with my old Rokit 5’s G2 with the same setup. Fortunately it doesn’t happen that often, but I always know 2 secs in advance when someone calls me…

While I’m at it: I don’t notice they’re getting overly hot (not as mentioned in the speaker list above).

I includes in the list the Focal Alpha 65

I have found a store that sells them at a very good price (210€/u).Yes, it gets out of my initial budget, but I want to know if it’s worth it. Does anyone know this model?

alpha-65.jpg

http://www.focal.com/es/alpha/492-alpha-65.html

http://www.hispasonic.com/foros/monitores-focal-alpha-65-impresiones/482898

http://superbassaudio.es/monitores-activos/9924-focal-alpha-65.html?gclid=CM2fvfHUy9ACFeoK0wodWRAHqg#idTab5

My advice: Spend as much as you can on Monitors. If you are thinking about stretching your budget to go for Focals then do it!

The secondary advice would be: Listen to them, and decide for yourself. Adams are excellent for the money and will go a long way with you.

My advice: Spend as much as you can on Monitors. If you are thinking about stretching your budget to go for Focals then do it!

The secondary advice would be: Listen to them, and decide for yourself. Adams are excellent for the money and will go a long way with you.

Thanks for the advice!I want to gather information before I show up at a physical store. Finally, I will have no choice but to take a trip. I’m looking for some physical stores nearby for potential listeners.This is an inconvenience for me, but I do not want to fail before I buy. Neither do I want to spend more money than necessary.

I want to read more opinions sooner…

Of course, before you spend any amount of money on better speakers (and it’s boring, I know) - you really ought to address any major acoustic problems in the room.

Simply put; if your room is acoustically bad, no speaker on this earth will make it sound good. And the room is just as important a factor in listening as the output device.

Simply put; if your room is acoustically bad, no speaker on this earth will make it sound good. And the room is just as important a factor in listening as the output device.

Yes, acoustics are important. Distance from your monitors makes a big difference though.

In many cases you can’t avoid acoustical problems other than throwing some rugs and such to help with a room that is too live.

If you have to work in a room that is small and/or bad acoustics, stay close to the monitors. The closer you get to your monitors the less bad acoustics come into play.

I include in the list the Pioneer S-DJ60X.

s-dj60x-angle.jpg

https://www.pioneerdj.com/es-es/product/monitor-speakers/s-dj60x/black/overview/

You should add the Mackie’s to your list!

http://mackie.com/products/mrmk3-series

Ok, so you got every budget to midrange model on your list. Looking forward to what you will say after having played your chosen files over some models in the shop. Not choose the one that will make stuff sound sappy, choose the one where you have the strongest feeling of having everything in the mix presented in a cold and honest way, intense but still balanced. Making stuff sound cool on those will make it sound even better everywhere else.

I just want to give you another pointer to watch out for: you maybe have some prefered volume for working. Some like it real hot all the time, others have neighbors or sensitive ears, and like working with lower volumes, and only rise a bit for final stages. As you said bass is important for you (I wish you better luck with your room than I had with my try!), you should try adjusting the speakers in the shop to the levels you like working with most, and see if bass is still clear and punchy. Especially, as I know that some of the larger speakers can be tuned for loud action and might suffer relative lack of bass when played at lower levels. I also say this as you mentioned a small room with little distance in the triangle, so lower volumes going on by default.

Or this:

20c268220fec2a6ed1f2a6c8de005f5b.jpg