Here's A New One..

Here’s a new one:

Finished song, with vocals, that I don’t know where to categorize it:

http://www.infraxes.com/numb.mp3

And here’s a new song (in progress, has many parts to add yet, the chorus needs to be longer and actually have vocals put on it):

http://www.infraxes.com/you-don’t-like-to-camp.mp3

I would have put the Numb song in the songs area of the website first and linked to the song from there, but my password doesn’t seem to be working and when I have it send my password it doesn’t send me an email (unless it’s one of those things where it sends it 12 hours later or something), the website was down last night, so I assume it’s related to that… Good luck with fixing the website problems.

Numb - good stuff. interesting chords and time signature as always. what meter is this, 5/4? parts of this song sound a lot like dub, with those echo pianos, the delays on the snares on the beat, and the bassline… (the part that starts around :52 through 1:27… and then later on in the song). cool!

don’t like to camp – vicious. did i ever tell you that you have a great voice?
so are you gonna send this song to him when you’re done?

yes Kizzume has a good voice, but I don’t like its timbre so much, it’s too dark for me. I think that this could be improved by the use of brigther instruments (like saxophone, for example) which replay some vocal parts, also giving a bit of relief to the listener.

I indeed think that vocals are too present during the song; I would substitute the “hoo-hoo”'s with above mentioned sax lines, for example.

edit:
I was talking about “Numb”

edit2:
I realized that the term “hoo-hoo” could be misleading: I don’t refer to the background voices, I refer to the lead voice, which sings like “hoo-hoo” sometimes during the song, like in the end

I´m listening to Numb right now. And I have to ask you if this is something you done when you are clean because I really like this much more than your earlier tracks! I think its better.

I really suspect that this is a result that comes from you being sharper when not smoking.

I´m impressed! Its really good!

I don’t agree about a too dark voice I think your singing is top quality and I mean commercial top quality.

I also think it would sound more pro if you put a bit more reverb on your song. If you listen to similar tracks you can hear that there is often quite much reverb. Don’t over do it though.

I´m not sure what IT alien meant because I think you should keep the background ohh ohhs. But givening the listener a break from your song and adding a sax is really a good advice if its done nice it would make it a even better song.

3d time I listen to this song now and it grows.
Maybe adding the Sax or piano at 3:11 would be a nice variation.

The weakest part of this song I think is the short intro.
In a popsong you have to grab the listener right from start with something.

Listening to the test now.

Can’t say I like this as much but I think you should put the end in the beginning of this song maybe keep it in the end too.

that’s why i like it so much. it’s really unique. even when he sings high-ish notes, it still retains that baritone boomyness. really really cool :drummer:

My focus for quite a while has been on dark, beautiful, and complex music. There isn’t much dark beautiful music out there in general (and finding groups that have those qualities that are also complex is even harder)–it’s something that I feel is lacking in the music industry–anytime there’s usually something dark it has to sound harsh and distorted, like speed metal and the such. Depeche Mode has had some songs that go dark and beautiful, but the vocalist very rarely sings outside his lower range, and they rarely use many harmonies, and complex–I don’t think I’d call any of their music complex per se. There are a number of artists that have put out a few dark beautiful songs, like Portishead, Bjork, Radiohead, and Stereolab, but they’re not the style of what the majority of those artists put out. My favorite Paul McCartney song of all time, from his latest album “Chaos and Creation in the Backyard”, is “Riding to Vanity Fair”–absolutely beautiful, dark, and really good lyrics and vocals.

I’ve always had a love for odd timings, especially when they can be made in such a way that they’re still catchy. The numb song is in 5/8 (the 8 signifying that the count is faster) and the test song is in 7/8. The most catchy 5/4 song that just about everyone knows is the theme from Mission Impossible.

I know I’m just basically tooting my own horn here, but I really like where my music has been going. I like how much more control vocally I have now that I’m not smoking weed anymore. I like the way I’m able to focus on things now that I’m not smoking anymore.

I also like the fact that I don’t take contstructive criticism personally anymore now that I’m not high all the time.

Those are some interesting suggestions for the sax–I don’t have a single decent sounding sax sound, however. I have some pretty good bassoon and oboe sounds, but I don’t think that would hit the same way, even though I love those instruments.

The vocal mix is always a hard one–in the past, when I make the vocals quieter, a lot of people complain about it being too quiet and that they want to hear my voice more, and when I make it -this- level (I like this mix, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the -best- mix, it’s just my preference) there’s the other group of people who think that the vocals should be more subdued.

The Numb song I consider to be a finished product. I really do like the idea of making a more over-the-top intro for it, but I figure the intro is short enough that the meat and potatoes of the song comes in quickly enough that the laid-back intro still works. --But the test song is definately a test, and input on what could help -that- song would be the most beneficial to me. I’m still trying to get concepts of what other parts should be added–something more harsh, more mellow, a stylistic change, I haven’t been able to decide–and I also don’t know what time length I should shoot for either–is it catchy enough to be something I could push as pop, or is it too weird and are the lyrics too suggestive of me being gay?

i’m not sure if the acid part really works with it. you might try some other sounds and see how they sound.
the song definitely needs some kind of C section.

when you said something more “harsh, mellow”… to my mind came the idea for a mellow section with maybe just some pads playing, and you singing with your voice slowly escalating into almost screaming by the end of the section (obviously with some dramatic lyrics to go along with it) … and then it goes back into the chorus …

it’s not suggestive of you being gay at all really – if somebody who didn’t know you listened to this, they would just assume the person it’s directed at is a girl. anyway you gotta be true to yourself… so i wouldn’t take out the references.