How Can I Achieve The Following Effect...?

I’m interested in an effect, which can be found in the electronic music very often. Unfortunatelly I don’t know how it is called, so I try to describe it. Image some continued sound. Now we start its playback and set its volume very fast from 100% to 0 and vice versa, such that it sounds “interrupted” every fraction of a second…

I’ve tried to reproduce such effect with Renoise but failed every time. The most natural way would be – to increase and to decrease the volume of a track like:

but it does not work. After setting the volume of a triggered note to 0 I can do what I want – the volume of the triggered note remains deactivated, s.t. I need to retrigger it. Why?

Ok, another way I could image is to switch the note OFF (btw. how can I input this “OFF” from the keyboard?) and to retriger it with some offset 09xx. But this would be too hard and laborious.

Can anybody explain me how this can be done else?

I assume you use the volume column for this?
The volume range for a note/notecolumn is 00-80 (in hex).
99 is actually another command (volume slide).

You can find a complete list of the commands here.

Use caps-lock to insert note-off.

The effect name is “Slicer”. You can achive it with:

• Volume modifier, by putting 00 80 00 80 continuously on each line after note.
  • Volume envelope.
  • Special slicer VST/Ladspa plugin.
  • Putting a gainer plugin and LFO plugin on track DSP. Connect LFO to Gainer “Gain”. Set the LFO type to Square. Set the time to 1 tick. Set the offset and Amplitude to give desired effect.

The effect name is gate and like that guy said, volume doesn’t go to 99. 80 is the full volume.

dblue’s glitch VST can do gate
tweakbench’s cairo VST is dedicated to it

but yeah, 80,00,80,00 etc. is easy and satisfying.
change it up too, you don’t have to use that exact pattern. try creating interesting gate rhythms.

Gate is bit ambiguous. Gate is a device that can close audio stream for arbitrary reasons. Sequenced gate or LFO controlled gate, like this one is commonly named “slicer” on hardware devices and plugins.

There are also noise gates, (gate is closed by low volume in channel), sidechain gates (gate is closed on high volume on sidechain), peak gates/feedback killer gate (closes when volume on channel goes too high, probably due to feedback). So calling this effect “gate” is not that good idea.

Ahem, what about the built-in volume slicer command:

04xy - Volume slicer → x = factor (0=0.0, f=1.0), slice at tick y. (Sample instrument related only)

note to self: create a volume slicing tutorial song…

thanks Suva

forgot about that thing. never figured out how to use it.

The oldskool volume slice trick using the ghosting note technique still counts as well if you want a slide per line…

000 | C-400.. 07F0 |   
 001 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 002 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 003 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 004 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 005 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 006 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 007 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 008 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 009 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 010 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 011 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 012 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 013 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 014 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 015 | ---00.. 07F0 |   
 016 | ---00.. 07F0 |   

Many thanks for all you answers! :) Damn, my main problem is that I just always forget about these maximum values for volume/panning.