How Can I Get X Frequency?

Hi, I’m experimenting with different frequencies outside the western scale, how can I create a frequency of x hz? 852 Hz for example?

I guess you need an oscillator vst. I can generate waves with specific frequencies using some LADSPA plugins on linux.

You can do it with renoise :

1 - Create a new sample inside Renoise and leave it empty

2 - add a DC Offset device on a channel set to 20% for example (change it if you want to change the amplitude of the sinus).

3 - add a Ringmod device on the same channel (it must be after the DC Offset), adjust the frequency to 852Hz

4 - play note with the sample in this channel

@gregj: damn, can’t say that i understand how that works but it sounds clever! (=

If i’ve understood correctly what happens:

the DC Offset create a constant signal, the ringmod device multiply the incoming signal with the choosen waveform at the specified frenquency.

“proper” instrument example

Any fm synthesizer should do.fm8 or toxic biohazard

Use the method shown using the ring mod device, but instead of using the DC offset use a looping DC offset sample (draw a single sample long sample about halfway above zero); this way you can use the volume envelope of that instrument. Use keytrack to modulate the freq of the ring mod. I dont know how the other scales work out mathematically but sent the range and clamp according to this. use linear scaling. should work well but it will be monophonic.

Thanks for all the answers. I will try the different options.
kickofighto: How I “use a looping DC offset sample (draw a single sample long sample about halfway above zero)”
ToybOx: I have the FM8, but I cant figure out how to do this.
gregj Good! very straightforward.
Now, a simple question. In the standard tunning, we have C-D-E-F-G-A-B, now, all, from C1 to B8 are at 852 Hz,correct?

i don’t understand what you mean by that but i’m guessing you are looking for something like this? http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

I mean, the standard frequencies, when A4 = 440 Hz, but I´m not looking for that, I know that.
I´m working outside that.
With the trick that Gregj gives me, theres only one “note”, the one with 852 Hz. That is what I was looking for.

That was AWESOME.
I made a little synth with this.

• 2 ring mods
  • key tracking device with clamp A-2 -> A-7
  • hydra device with key track as input and outputs each ring mod with range 110-3520 Hz
  • 1 lfo for ring mod 2 phase
  • 1 XY device for lfo speed and hydra out for second ring mod

no envelope but a way fun toy, likely done before…

cheers

What I do to generate waveforms (and this will let you get specific frequencies, too) is hand-draw a two-second line at the top of the waveform view, and then apply a ringmod to it at whatever frequency I want. That way you can get specific microtonal stuff without too much hassle. Although the DC offset tool will basically do the same thing.

make a new instrument
open the sample editor view
click the pencil icon to draw a sample
it will prompt to enter number of samples, channels, bit dpth etc
enter number of samples as 1 (see picture)
now draw the line; it’s only a single sample so it will only be a straight line (see other picture)

Edit the volume envelope (this will work as the real envelope for the “synth”)

use this with keytrack device appropriately set (clamp, min the freq coresponding to lowest note, max the freq for the highest note in the clamp) I usuall use A at either end of my clamp because in western tuning it will usually be a whole number; A0=13.75, A1=27.5, A2=55, A3=110, A4=220, A5=440, A6=880, A7=1760, A8=3520 Hz. (I think). You’ll have to try some math and do some research for quarter note tuning or whatever you’re trying to do.

Great tips!