how can this type of re-trigger be done in Renoise?

This is house/tech producer Kink. It seems he’s doing this quite easy with a couple of pattern commands (in Buzz?). Does anyone have any tips how to replicate this in Renoise? I’ve tried all sorts of timing and re-trigger commands and just can’t get it as smooth as this. Any insight is hugely appreciated!

(link should start playing at 2:18)

Id try just something like this:

(only effect column)
R02
R02
R02
R03
R03
R03
R04
R04
R05
R05
R06
R06
R07
R08

You get pretty cool sounds if you add a 2nd effect column with an D05 in every row ;)/>

Edit:
I watched the video again & i thin he is using a full beat as sample: You just need to add an 2nd / 3rd effect column with an Offset to a slice marker, if you don´t the retrigger will start on the beginning.

Thanks so much. I gave that a try. Had to start closer to R5 as R2 was a bit too fast. Did the sample slice offset so the snare would be triggered, set voice to cut, but still the timing is nowhere as smooth as this Buzz video.
It seems after more playing its not so much R commands but a loop in the sample editor and being to stretch the loop end out over time. That gives the exact sound, however I don’t see any possible way to program or automate the end loop to lengthen in a linear way though.
So I’ve got a loop and S40 on the 04 step to trigger the snare and manually stretching a short loop (which is around the snare) out that gets longer is pretty much what I’m looking to automate somehow.

Seems to me like he is adjusting the lines per beat on the fly. This seemed to get me pretty close.

irrelevant question: why do you have a 7F command in the volume column? saw some other people doing it too and couldn’t figure out why.

That’s the default note volume/velocity.

That is default if you enter notes with the qwerty keyboard. 7F Being full volume.

ah, thanks for clearing that up. apparently i’ve never pushed this button

edit: still not sure why it is 7F instead of 80 though.

7F is the maximum value (127), mostly for midi compatibility for midi output devices and plugins. Every manual input from 80 and higher is accepted but gets automatically translated to 7F in the background.
You would save your cpu some unnoticeable cycles to just stick to the actual values and not use values that go through an extra hoop of getting translated first before getting processed :)

This little trick can also be heard in Synthacon9 by The Tuss (Aphex Twin) and the intro of Mangle 11. He uses it to great effect in both tracks and Mangle 11 is an exceptional example of just how far you can mangle up a break. I’m convinced he used tracker software for that. Some of that stuff just doesn’t seem realistically possible in any other kind of DAW.