How come Renoise can't handle a LOT of wavefiles?

Don’t get me wrong… I just think Renoise is awesome… and I will never be using an other daw… but one thing I don’t get is why Renoiseis getting memory probs using a lot of wavefiles?

For instance, Acid Pro and Reaper don’t have this problem…

Can you please define exactly how much “a lot” is? I guess we must be talking about several gigabytes of samples here, or what?

Renoise keeps all samples loaded directly in memory, and does not stream them from disk like other DAWs may do, so the main limiting factor here is how much RAM you have available.

It also depends if you’re using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows and Renoise, due to the memory limits that 32-bit systems have (max. 3-4 GB). Maybe you can describe your system in a bit more detail here?

Renoise keeps all samples loaded directly in memory, and does not stream them from disk like other DAWs may do, so the main limiting factor here is how much RAM you have available.

why is that? I acidpro I can save a project as a “zipped file”. When i open the project afterwards, the audio tracks will be extracted to a “temp” directory…

It also depends if you’re using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows and Renoise, due to the memory limits that 32-bit systems have (max. 3-4 GB). Maybe you can describe your system in a bit more detail here?

4gb mem.
32 bit.
not going back to 64bit ever again.

Again…I really adore Renoise… and I can use rewire to do remixes… But it would just be cool if I could use more audiotracks. that’s all :slight_smile:

why is that?

That’s just the way it is right now. DFD (direct from disk) would of course be nice, but it’s quite a technical challenge to implement correctly.

not going back to 64bit ever again.

Any particular reason? (BTW, do you mean 64-bit Windows, or Renoise?)

I’m running Windows 8 64-bit here just fine, and also ran Windows 7 64-bit just fine before that.

I primarily use Renoise 32-bit simply because most of my favourite old VSTs are 32-bit and I prefer to avoid sandboxing/bridging, but I could easily switch to Renoise 64-bit if I had to (I keep both installed).

Either way, if you’re regularly working with huge multi-gigabyte projects, I think you’re gonna run into this 32-bit RAM limit sooner or later.

64-bit is simply the way forward if you need to do some real heavy lifting.

Seriously!? Your 32-bit computer is pretty much obsolete. The problem is not Renoise, it’s your lack of RAM.

Seriously!? Your 32-bit computer is pretty much obsolete. The problem is not Renoise, it’s your lack of RAM.

Jepz. And before 64bits computing nobody was able to make music :w00t:

Jepz. And before 64bits computing nobody was able to make music :w00t:

hey buster, no need to get fresh. we’re trying to help you out here. it’s alright

hey buster, no need to get fresh. we’re trying to help you out here. it’s alright

I offer my sincere apologies.