How did you meet Renoise?

I’d like that too. I made a suggestion for a “smart command line” similar to the ones found in some modern code editors, browsers, and app launchers. If you’re interested, please take a look and upvote it. Smart Command Line like Alfred, VS Code, Vivaldi, Spotlight, etc
I think that’s the thing that could make Renoise 100% QWERTY. The way it’s implemented in VS Code and Vivaldi browser, you can invoke any command the app is capable of from the smart launcher without searching through menus.

1 Like

I was looking for a DAW to work with, looking into Logic, Cubase, Bitwig, Reaper, Reason, Ableton, FL Studio. I was talking with Alex Mauer at the time who tipped me off on Renoise as his favorite program to work with.

I checked it out after some experience with Milky / Famitracker and fell in love with it.

4 Likes

last month gave up reason
no need for that smelly annoying thing called a piano roll so nice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Damn straight! I’m not missing Reason one bit!

2 Likes

I was trying to make some music ~13 years ago, but I was completely overstrained. I was trying to understand Reaper, etc. Everything was completely new to me. Bought a microkorg XL and a drum machine. But I didn’t know where to begin with. I played a bit with Psycle and thought it was cool, but never finished a track.

2015 I bought a new computer (which I’m still using) and switched to linux with an iso image of KXStudio. I was looking for music software that works well with Linux and found Renoise. I also read that Depeche Mode used it, so it must be cool and great I thought. Installed it, played with it and fell in love with it immediately.

The trigger event that completely changed everything was RENoiSE NATiVES COMPETiTioN! - 2018 I decided to join and so I was forced to finish a track:

I got some nice resonances and posted it in a music forum too. People liked it and that motivated me to continue. My mixes got contiously better and I’m still learning from track to track and it’s so much fun. When I’m not working on a track something is missing and I get discontent. In the past I had to force myself to make music and to use the bought gear. Not with Renoise!

6 Likes

I wanted a pattern based step sequencer and not linear sequencer like Logic…

After I used RENOISE to compose my first track, I became a convert to Tracker. To this day I use RENOISE 3.2

I met RENOISE thanks to my friend from Brazil who told me about Tracker based sequencing… For the style i do, it’s just perfect.

5 Likes

Yes competitions forced me too to get tracks finished.Good track man

2 Likes

I “met” Renoise when I got fed up of Fasttracker 2 about 20 years ago. There were no other decent alternatives, except an early new tracker made by a demoscene guy called Arugru (who understood real Amiga tracker culture) which that showed a lot of promise. He stopped working on it though, and the project was taken up by a new team. I got involved in 2002 with this new group of people, suggested some improvements based on my own experience, made early photoshop designs the user interface etc. There was some personal problems between certain individuals, the team shifted but thankfully Taktik remained, took over and pretty much saved the entire project. I cannot stress how important his role was and still is in this project. Then there was a vote over the name around 2002 - 2003 to replace the somewhat uninspired “Noisetrekker” original title. “Renoise” was chosen by popular vote on the old forum (“re” names were pretty popular at the time, what with REason and REcyce etc). I later continued providing input on key features, designed multiple loading screens, I got the logo designed (the one still being used to this day!), organised the first community driven online music compos, made Renoise demo songs, designed and created multiple builds of the website (not the current one).

I’m really proud to have played a part in this tracker. It is my favourite DAW by far and I’m super thankful for Taktik and the devteam’s involvement over the years. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Are you the guy from the big beat collective Shaper???

yeah man!

1 Like

Man thanks for the history lesson about Renoise and please do share any other ones.You and any other developers involved in the making of Renoise dont know this but you saved my life and maybe many others too.I thank you sir

1 Like

Nice! I really liked your music, reminded me of Prodigy’s sound around the new millennium. A pity it does not seem to be available anymore online. Is there any music of yours still available somewhere?

I guess you are actually part of how I came to Renoise as well then :slight_smile: I kind of new about Renoise for a while already, but never really looked into it. I had used Buzz, Live, Tracktion and EnergyXT (1.4 of course, not 2) in the past, and then had moved on to Reaper, which just started getting really good. Then at some point I realized that Renoise also runs on Linux, and thought to check it out in more detail. I intended to use it on my netbook for making stuff on the go. You had a video up back then, making a beat in 10 min. That kinda got me hooked. Well, that and Beautiful Lies from B-complex, who I also found out about around that time (2010).

1 Like

What what where where?

Thanks for sharing man, I’m glad to hear it helped you and wish you the best.

1 Like

Chain of events:

• College friend shows me some Wisp and Aphex Twin.
  • Another friend points me toward Venetian Snares.
  • I see the video for “Vache” and think “wtf, that looks amazing!”
  • Renoise.

Fun fact: I learned to use Renoise while sitting in my underwear on painkillers after having my wisdom teeth removed. It was most of what I did with the time. Despite feeling like shit, it was a good time.

I think a really important part of meeting Renoise is meeting other Renoisers. That part has been amazing. Be it Texas folks like Daed, zvλd, and MIDI Fister, remote folks like Hitori Tori, or folks I still haven’t met in person like Bytesmasher and dblue, the community has really been something else. Something super rad.

4 Likes

I’m old enough to come from 90’s tracker world. Used to create lot’s of (bad :slight_smile: ) music back then but then it faded out in early 2000 when Fast tracker started to be too limited. I tried to get into Fruity loops but the workflow was so different and with all the real world stuff happening there wasn’t time or energy to learn it properly. Then I guess around 06 - 07 I found Renoise and all the fun came back because it felt just like ancient trackers. Back then it was huge thing that you could use VST:s but nowadays I find that I render almost everything to samples so it’s kind of back to 90’s but with lots of effects to mess around and manipulate sound. Love it.

3 Likes

community sources xrni ?

Yeah there used to be a whole section of the forums for downloadable instruments made by other Renoisers. I’m hoping that comes back…

The old forum downloadable section is archived at:
https://files.renoise.com/forum/downloads/
Instruments:
https://files.renoise.com/forum/downloads/Instruments/

3 Likes

Hi all,

Typically don’t use trackers. Never have. So i’m used to Reason/Bitwig/Cubase /Cubasis (for IPAD), Beatmaker 3. I was aware of them but Renoise was the first one i’ve tried and that was because of the Polyend Tracker which got my interest. But I wanted to see if I could get used to trackers, so I tried the demo of Renoise and in a short space of time bought renoise and redux because it’s fun and I don’t always think that about music production. The ability to try things fast/mix things up is great.

3 Likes