How Do You Describe To People What You Do (produce Music)

Here’s a typical branch of that conversation: :P

You - Yeah, I use Renoise
Uninformed - You mean Reason?
You - No
Uninformed - You mean like Fruity loops? Cubase? Acid?
You - No, no no. Renoise. You ever heard of Trackers?
Uninformed - You mean like bittorent?
You - No. Ever hear of the demoscene?
Uninformed - You mean like shareware?
You - No. Chiptunes?
Uninformed - (blank expression) ??? Why would somebody write a song about chips?
You - (sigh)… Anyway, the roots of the scene are pretty oldschool, from the Commodore & Amiga days although things have changed a lot since then.
Uninformed - OHH! So you write like Nintendo sounding music then?
You - Goddamnit NO. I hate you!

I think it’s best to say something like “I make music on my computer,” then just change the subject. I don’t know why so many of you want to over complicate everything.

yeah - just say no.

person: so i hear you make music - what do you play?
you: no.
person: oh? i thought…
you: no. I heard you touch children?
person:…

com·pose (km-pz)
v. com·posed, com·pos·ing, com·pos·es
v.tr.

2. To make or create by putting together parts or elements.
3. To create or produce (a literary or musical piece).

Snipped just the relevant portions thats pertain to what we do.

I don’t mention renoise or a pc. A computer is involved in some way with most of the music people like to nowadays so I don’t think mentioning it is relevant.

Most of us have midi controllers so we are playing instruments. I don’t enter my notes using the computer keyboard.

The above definition encompasses producing as well as you can see.

Do what I do and just simply say you compose music.

That is what all of us do.

i really don’t care a lot about people that wonder why i am not playing an instrument when i claimed to “make music” as a hobby beforehand. none of these buddies could ever value or roughly understand what i am doing nor would the conversation turn into a direction which could be considered intresting for anyone of us. so i usually do myself and that respective being the favour to simply skip topic.

fckng brilliant :D

Q: Ohh, you compose music. What instrument do you play?
A: I play Microsoft natural ergonomic Keyboard 4000

I play qwerty

i’m glad the best thing about being crazy is never having to explain yourself.

no what is that supposed to mean? :) 2-unlimited was great!!! :yeah:

You don’t live in America… Where to “pump people up” for every Friday night midnight bowling, every Sporting event, every school dance concert, they have to play “Y’all ready for this” first.

That song makes me want to mass murder people. And I know it is the 1st thing Americans think of when they hear the term Electronic music.

Wait! I did a google search for “Y’all ready for this”. What is the second hit???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4N1ZxM9q6c

Oh yes, and I live in North Carolina…

GOD DAMNIT

the song is “Get ready for this” and its not 2 Unlimited’s fault that one of their song got abused in US :) Back in days when 2 Unlimited was active they rocked hard :)

I had that album. I think I still have the original cd. I think it’s time to burn it like the chortles speccy christmas video…

IO was saying “Yall ready for this” because that’s exactly what he says in the beginning of the song…

Twilight Zone was the other incredibly annoying song.

Youtube Video

‘pump up the jam’ by technotronic is another one of those trax to get you pumped. i still have that tape stashed away w/ my old miami bass tapes

Honestly, never talk about electronic music production with those who haven’t a clue. It’s a big waste of time.

now i do admit to jamming out to that in 5th grade :D along with Snap - rhythm is a dancer

It always comes down to: I’m a f****ing rockstar and chicks dig me for that. You should too.

Q: What are you doing in your freetime?
A: I make some music.

Q: Cool, what instruments you play?
A: I don’t play any instruments actually. I make mostly electronic music using computersoftware.

Q: :blink: What genres are you into?
A: Trance… mostly.

Q: COOL! Like Cascada and stuff?
A: ARGHLL!

Honestly, I also don’t really bother anymore about trying to explain what I’m doing. In the end the ppl I know start to behave obviously uninterested, as long you don’t do anything “mainstream”. Other fact is, that they just don’t get it.

Konsumbrötchen…

I’m better off starting making beatZ for HipHop… bitches