How do you use the Pattern Matrix?

I already named the sections on the left. But, i need to name the blocks in the matrix. I create complex music. I can understand for simple drums ,pads, leads, drops etc its ok the way it is. But i need a better overview that i don’t have to switch everytime to the sheet and matrix back and forth to see the FX on the pattern.

Complex music? So what exactly is and is not complex music? :P

Lol, well, let me say that i use a LOT of FX automation and a LOT of variations with Drum patterns. :walkman:/>
Anyway, thnx for the input. :panic:/>

I actually have ZERO experience with the Pattern Matrix, I never even bothered checking it out until I read your post and experimented for about 10 seconds… So this suggestion will probably be useless but here goes…

Why don’t you just create a new pattern whenever you need it, insert a new blank pattern with the + button, copy your desired pattern/tracks to it and then make changes to whichever parts you choose. It only takes a second to insert a new blank pattern into the mix, press CTRL+F4 to copy a previous pattern, CTRL+F5 to paste it and there you go. A pattern in the middle of the mix which is a separate entity to your aliased stuff completely.

Does that make any sense, would it work or am I way off? I’m guessing I’m way off because it’s way too simple.

Might be After all, the pattern matrix is hardly more than a way to display all tracks in a pattern, and all patterns in a song.
You can easily skip the matrix (Renoise 2.5) and still make music…

For me, personally, the matrix is best used when I am experimenting with a track structure - mute slots to try out different variations, copy and paste big parts with ease.
And also, if checking out someone else’s song - you get a good idea about how the song is structured by a quick glance on the matrix

I just started messing about with it a bit more tonight and you’re right it does have some nice uses - especially the copying and pasting big parts easily. That can definitely help with work-flow and speedy arrangements. I guess I was sort of accustomed to how Renoise operated before the Pattern Matrix, in fact I was getting a little frustrated with the way patterns are now arranged in the playback section because it is quite different to how it was before, but now I’ve realized it’s tied in explicitly with the Pattern Matrix! It took me this long to finally realize how it works, I guess I should have read the manual instead of just trying to guess :lol: … I was still operating on the mindset that you make various patterns and then you cue up which pattern number you want to be played. So for example you could start off with pattern 10, then go to pattern 1, then pattern 4 - just random. But now I see that the patterns are labeled in ascending order automatically for ease of reference. So much still to learn though!

Too bad you didn’t read carefully my response what i want to achieve. What you are saying is basic stuff and it ends there. IT is a simple thing, maybe too simple. :guitar:

Actually, the old-school way is not gone - it’s just a little hidden, because it was basically confusing people who are new to trackers (no wonder - having an arrangement that can play any part of a song at any time, what the hell? )

Try to right-click the pattern sequence and uncheck “Keep sequence sorted” - this will disable the automatic creation of unique patterns and allow you to have patterns in any order.

Isn’t it logical that aliases are just “mirrors” of the original? I mean if my name is Ragnar and my alias is TheBellows, then if i get killed in a dubstep drop, my alias won’t keep on tracking. :D