How To Benchmark Your Mix?

Yes yes. I was thinking about taking that exact approach.
I hate to depend on external tools - I wanna learn how to do it top to bottom inside Renoise, relying on fundumental components only - EQ/compressor/exciter etc - and not on a specific brand of software.

You are totally right.

I happen to have a consistent problem in the mids.

On that subject (or not so much) - what is linear phase? and should I be ashamed of not knowing? :)
There is this Wave plugin thats handling multiband linear phase, and I am wondering if this is what I need to use in order to balance my mids to a better place.

linear phase ? no idea what that is.

:blink:

yes, be ashamed. well i am… kinda… ok, not really.

^_^

You need to read up on how filtering works in digital audio. The upshot is that a small delay is created within the ‘process band’ and can cause cross-over phasing. The worse the EQ design the more obvious this is an issue, some even have distortion at these points.

LP10 gets around this by using plugin buffer delay, so that all the bands are perfectly in sync. This makes for amazingly transparent EQing, and if you have it just on your master chain during the mastering process the plugin delay should be no issue.

If you can address the problems of the mids at the channel level do so there with reductive EQ.