How To Return To "stereo Selection" Instead?

hi, how can 2.8 be used so that the “mono selection” is disabled?
in the sample editor…

Make your selection in the middle of the waveform to select both channels:

2869 sample_editor_selection.png

If you’re talking about completely disabling the ability to select the left or right channels independently, this is not possible.

indeed, was hoping there would be a switch

As you can see, the hit box to select both channels is twice as large compared to the left and right channels. Hopefully this is big enough to catch even the most clumsy mouse movements. Do you really find it so incredibly annoying that you want to completely disable it?

If people really hate this crap, then maybe we can tweak the hit boxes a bit to make it less sensitive, but I don’t think we’ll bother with an option to completely disable it. There’s already too much damn clutter in the preferences :)

definitely.

yes i do, because this is what can happen: i have undo off so i can edit large wavefiles. iloaded in 30 samples. i’ve been editing all of them for quite a while, deleting silence, etc. then i accidentally cut left or right only. i presss undo. bang. every single change is gone and all the instruments are gone. i’m getting no “are you SURE you wish to delete 30 samples?!” confirmation, but that’s beside the point.

as you can see, it’s not about clumsiness, i can deal with that. it’s about losing all the samples you multi-loaded in. that’s the only reason i wish to have a enabler/disabler for left/right vs. stereo cutting.

if it isn’t stereo editing in the sample editor that causes a fuck up, then it’ll be something else next. When you have ‘undo’ ticked off in the sample editor shit is risky.

I have to agree with Jonas on this one. Aren’t you just as likely to make a similar big mistake even when you have a stereo selection? If you’re working with undo disabled, well, you’re basically in the wild wild west of sample editing. Gotta be very careful no matter what you do. Limiting the type of selection you can make is never going to change the fact that it’s dangerous to work without undo.

I realise that working with undo enabled on large samples can sometimes be a bit slower, but it’s there to save your ass in such situations. Use it :)

this isn’t about losing changes to single wavefiles… this is about losing the loading-in-of-multiple-samples to multiple instruments… i’m doing something very specific to stems that are 24mb each, and if i undo due to this selection issue, each and every loaded sample is erased from the instrument box. that’s a bit different from the boo of messing up something and then reloading a wavefile in. if undo is off, undo will actually only undo the loading-in of the samples. it gets hairy if you load in 80 samples at once and then they all go…

ctrl+y brings the samples back?

what jonas said and i’m getting used to the editing. it was a bit clumsy in the beginning. used to just click anywhere, so yeah…

a nice thing is you can also use your up/down arrows to switch right/left channel. shift+left/right-arrow to select for the finer edits. really intuitive sample editor you got going there guys, great work! :)

okay, can the left or right selection that you made with mouse, be switched to full-selection via a keyboard shortcut?

i also just “click anywhere”…

what is your ctrl-y mapped to? mine isn’t. (tried ctrl-y, cmd-y, option-y)

Prefs > Keys > Global > Document > Redo

(the counterpart to Undo)

Default mapping should be [Ctrl] + [Y]

Might be different on Mac, not sure.

If you already have a selection made, you can use [Shift] + [Up/Down] to change channels.

Yes but that is still the last step done before you started processing any sample. If you take the risk of toggling off sample-undo, then you should also accept these consequences. they are clear and have always been like this.
You perhaps might want to suggest improving methods on processing large samples which is understandable.
But meanwhile simply tag the undo checkbox to secure your reversion of changes even if this means that it requires time because you are working with large samples.

I guess I’m not quite following you here.

With sample undo enabled, here is what happens for me:

• Load some stems into multiple instruments (2 wavs, each around 5 minutes in duration)
  • Make a destructive change to instrument 1’s sample data (ie. cutting out some part of it)
  • Make a destructive change to instrument 2’s sample data
  • Press undo. Changes to instrument 2’s sample data are undone.
  • Press undo. Changes to instrument 1’s sample data are undone.
  • Press undo. The loading of the samples is undone, and the instruments are returned to their default/blank state.
  • Press redo. The samples are reloaded, the instruments are recreated.
  • Press redo. The changes to instrument 1’s sample data are redone.
  • Press redo. The changes to instrument 2’s sample data are redone.

With sample undo disabled, here is what happens for me:

• Load some stems into multiple instruments (2 wavs, each around 5 minutes in duration)
  • Make a destructive change to instrument 1’s sample data
  • Make a destructive change to instrument 2’s sample data
  • Press undo. Sample changes are ignored. The loading of the samples is undone, and the instruments are returned to their default/blank state.
  • Press redo. The samples are reloaded in their original unmodified form, the instruments are recreated.
  • Press redo. Nothing else happens. Renoise says “Nothing to redo.”

Do you experience something different?

im not sure how to word such a suggestion.

dBlue the two possibilities of working you described are the way Renoise works and are the way Renoise works for me.

Well the sample loading got sped up, there might be a way to do the same with at least cutting and pasting.

yeah, or what if the undo actually contained the cut part so one doesn’t spend time creating an undo for a 400mb file that you cut 20kb out of from the start. as a silly example.

Let’s please ignore any performance issues for a moment…

Can you please simply tell me: If you have sample undo enabled, does the undo behaviour actually work and do what you would expect? i.e. Does it undo these sample cutting mistakes and save your ass?

If it doesn’t work, then we may have a bug to fix. That’s all I’m trying to find out here, man :)

you described two ways of using the sample editor with undo and undo off. if i have undo on, it works the way you described as undo on. if i have undo off, it works the way you described as undo off.

so the answer is simply, yes.