How to use an envelope to overcome the LFO rate limit, an old trick

Ya, definitely possible to modulate it!

1 Like

Also, what happens to the sound when the amplitude is modulated via an envelope? That’s kind of a ‘filter/tone” method (the louder it gets, the more aggressive the sound, softer volume modulation gets the less waveform modulation).

Oh I’m just so excited!

1 Like

Yes, interesting possibilities, for sure. I just tried this method on the filter section, and there’s definitely some potential there as well, especially with the AM filters. LP was pretty cool, too. Of course, you can always combine high-rate modulation across volume, pitch, filter, etc… Good things

Great! Yeah this is funky patch :badteethslayer:

2 Likes

Actually we have a limitation on loop size, we can just set it but not modulate start and end of the loop. Maybe in the future versione of Renoise :pray:

1 Like

Maybe this can help?

1 Like

Well this can handle sample loop and its great, I need to control envelope loop and if I’m right it can’t be done actually.
Thanks for looking for a solution, any suggestion is welcome.

1 Like

That would be fantastic to be able to control envelope loop length for this technique!

1 Like

Thank you for idea and inspiration!

my short demo

4 Likes

Funny why ya’ll jumping on this , you’ve all been living under a rock ?
I’ve been doing this since 3.0 was capable of (relatively ) fast envelopes and immediatly asked for finer loop resolution
It 's not FM (linear frequency modulation ) , and certainly not phase modulation ( YAMAH FM ) ,
It’s just exponential PITCH modulation that is still flawed by renoise TPL based envelopes
Sorry to be the party pooper ,sure it’s still cool as an effect
… to end this on a positive note :slight_smile:

1 Like

The envelope can NOT loop at 1ms , ( 1000 HZ ) , the engine is not capable of that
You
It’s not because the display shows you 1ms that it’s actually capable of doing so

1 Like

apparently! :upside_down_face:

what other gems are you sitting on??

1 Like

Windowed sync :slight_smile: (which is the method used for the resonant waveform in the casio cz , the rest in the casio is phase distortion )
window sync 2.xrni (540.4 KB)
windowing fractalize.xrni (83.9 KB)

3 Likes

Very interesting!! Can you please explain how this works?
Guessing it has to do with a dc wave thru the AM sine filter, but, why/how/what’s going on here?

1 Like

The waveform in the sample editor acts as a windowing function ( can be a saw , triangl;e etc…) , the actual resonant peaks is a sine osc …I am using the ring mod effect .
The fiter sweep is done by modulating the pitch of the fing mod effect
I have far more and better stuff made in reaktor , the beauty of windowed sync is those harsh resoant sounds while there is actually no filtering going one at all
See " emulating a resonant filter ’ from the wiki phase distortion page

Made in reaktor simple audio examples
https://app.box.com/s/cgeaq1ufal51vernxg6fqbtccwi12e3m
https://app.box.com/s/b2to4bp2ckmywsbu1yyvwcc6kusfp6x1

3 Likes

Very cool. Thank you for sharing this technique! Having fun experimenting with it, and seems quite promising so far… Imagine it will makes its way into some productions :slight_smile:

That second reaktor example definitely gave me some Cylob vibes :metal:

I think so, and for sure I’m not skilled like you :smiley:

1 Like

Again you’re right, the minimum size to have a “consistent” loop is 10 ms (displayed) still fast enought for my taste.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, your technique is brilliant

1 Like

I am a big Cylob fan
One of his latest L.P.s '54 minute mirage 'is awesome
He does almost everything in supercollider( at least the digital stuff ) ,
I am still learning it …it’s pretty damn hard …even ater a year

1 Like

Yeah, supercollider has a learning curve, for sure… One of these years I’ll read the book… got a copy sitting on the shelf! Was working with some SC tutorials a few years back, but didn’t keep with it. Renoise is too fun :upside_down_face:
Definitely dig on some Cylob tunes from time to time… I think Late in the Day was the last ep of his that I gave repeat listens… I’ll check out 54 minute mirage :+1: