I have > 2500 unfinished XRNS files. You?

Unfinished, approx:

*.xrns = 2105
*.rns = 416

*. xm = 527
*. rbs = 92
*.wrk = 377
*.cwp = 83

:blink: :badteeth:

I was just cleaning up my storage and figured that I have a massive amount of unfinished songs/loops, more than 2500 :badteeth: I guess it’s fair to say that I struggle to finish songs, I really need to fix this as there’s quite a few that deserve some sugar. Truth is I always get like a mental block at the arranger and automation, for me these things are a bit cumbersome to be honest to a degree where I just go njahh… :huh:

I’ll throw up some tunes open for collab at some point and I’ll be looking for people who enjoy arranging and automating haha…

Do you have many unfinished songs and if so why do you think that is?

Heres a piece of wisdom that took me many, many years to arrive at, I hope it helps…

If you find that you spend more time starting things, falling down the rabbit hole of detail in crafting the sounds along the way … and this means that you end up with lots of unfinished works then consider this; what gives you more pleasure… starting/experimenting or finishing a tune?

Sometimes I need to finish tunes because it’s my job to deliver something to someone who expects a completed work. But most of the time I spend simply using the tools, the instruments. We are a student of our own muse forever. Don’t let this become a negative for you, it’s quite the opposite.

To paint it slightly differently; what is the purpose of finishing a piece of music?

btw. does anybody here smokes weed before / during composing? just curious…
Ive got feeling that this habit made finishing songs much harder for me than before when i wasnt been smoking.
The dark side of it - i dont enjoy making music without it.

I find it indeed a Lot easier to finish stuff since i stopped smoking weed… :slight_smile:

I find it indeed a Lot easier to finish stuff since i stopped smoking weed… :slight_smile:

They say smoking weed helps with creativity but it sure does make a person lazy and forgetful.

also, I wonder how many unfinished songs I have. I bet it’s around that much or more. I don’t see a problem with it unless i’m not finishing anything.

You see, I never left my experimental phase. I have moved away from a little but i’m always looking for new ideas and inspiration.

I find it’s getting easier to finish songs the more I do it, but i’m really good at intros and not so good at outros.

I decided to make a website called songfragments for my (and others) unfinished songs I want to donate to the public. It’s not finished and so far it has a few unfinished songs that I don’t care about

that much but I don’t consider complete crap. Actually some of the songs are crappy.