I would like to hear your music made with Renoise or other Daws

1 Like

This is a work-in-progress tribute to Ronan Fed, using only his VSTiā€™s.
Anyone who can describe what style this is?

4 Likes

I think there are some issues in your mix: The low end sounds blurred, because I think thereā€™s too much stereo on the low end. At least this is what I see in the analyzer. The synths could be louder and thereā€™s a lack in the highs. It sounds like through a carpet. The composition sounds nice and very 80ish.

Thanks for your input. I have never learnt how to mix and or master. Itā€™s like being lost in the woods. Been whatching tutorials on mastering and compressing, and I think I understand the principciples but still it seems to get worse the more I work with that.

You just have to use your ears and have to have a pair of good (not expensive) headphones or speaker.

There are some very nice tips in this video:

2 Likes

Well, that visualization at 30:44 is so me :slight_smile:

Old School trance with a pop twist.Nice composition but you really need to fix your mix

Demoscene :slightly_smiling_face: (Some would probably call it some sort of Trance, but I wouldnā€™t.)
I really dig the composition! :+1: Is it your own or is it a remix of something?
But just like others already said, the mix is pretty flat and muddy and needs to get fixed. You could watch related videos for hours, try to get something out of it and do experiments and try and error stuff, or you could read this (or other posts in that thread) in 2 minutes, do it exactly as described and get the basics ready for action. Itā€™s up to you. :wink:

1 Like

All tips appreciated! Thanks :slight_smile:
Actually I was active in the Amiga demoscene in the 90ā€™s in groups like Anarchy, Equinox, Phoenix.
I found some of my old stuff here:

Of course there are influences and coincidences from the demoscene as well as other styles.
Those times you did not have much more tools than volume to work with - Iā€™m still in that mindset :wink:

My brain is focused on composition. certainly not on remixing or remakes or blatantly using others work as the main theme to call ā€œmy ownā€

2 Likes

Ah nice, Equinox. Good old days. In my experience composers from back then who were part of the demoscene still have that kind of sound nowadays. Iā€™ll always recognize that style, no matter how hard they try to ā€œhideā€ it. Just because I love that sound. Good memories, good feelings. I checked two of your MODs, as expected itā€™s nice nostalgic stuff that has ā€œthatā€ style. Btw, in case youā€™re interested in getting a ā€œnostalgic refreshmentā€ in terms of Renoise, click here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Only 12 years ago I felt the same. :wink:

1 Like

A piece of butter spreading itā€™s wings:

4 Likes

i was having images of a future war in my head while listening to this,truly a great piece of music!!

1 Like

Thanks stoiximan, iā€™m quite happy with how it turned out myself, probably one of my better mixing jobs.
I tried to apply as much as i could from the mixing tips video i posted earlier, having it in mind while arranging. I think it helped me understand better how to achieve the sound i want.
How do you think the mix/master sounds? I tend to end up with a mix that is muddy in the low end and too harsh on the upper frequenciesā€¦

1 Like

I tried to make something a bit more relaxing, though i couldnā€™t help myself towards the end.
:face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Good compression/mastering sounds robust but a bit dry for me also a bit bassy for my taste but i guess bass plays a major role here so.I would make that little arpeggio near the end after 4.29 a bit louder and wider not all the way from the start but gradually also changing the speed of the song gradually making it faster so the listener would know we are coming to the end. Maybe i would also use an autopan on it going like crazy from left to right gradually.I would introduce the tempo change at 4.29 but thats what is popping up in my mind dont know if it would work.All this listening to headphones i must listen to my speakers tomorrow regarding the mix

1 Like

Very much open to feedback on this one, the arrangement is kicking my ass lol, but I like the core idea a lot

3 Likes

I also like the ā€œcore ideaā€ (style), nice late 90s ā€œchillyā€ after hour vibes. Good instrumentation so far and the vocal sample fits quite well. What I donā€™t like is the fact that all the hats are even softer than the ā€œbackground effectsā€, whereas the drum is loud and partially rumbling throug speakers. You really gotta work on the balance. Push the hats, cut the kick, increase the volume of synths and pads. And add some more stuff, a ā€œsnareā€ (a soft one just like your hats, maybe a wooden one like a reverbed stick or similar) would be a good start. Add some slight rhythm, add some variations without losing its repetitive core. I dig the repetitiveness, which is part of the style, but the song seems to go nowhere. What I miss is a proper buildup and/or some structure, especially after the ā€œbreakā€ at 2:30. The music is ā€œbubblingā€ until the end. Grab some ideas from its ā€œsibling trackā€ and improve it.

2 Likes

Feedback is much appreciated, and I totally agree that the transitions to more/less energetic parts feels off. Iā€™ll go back to the drawing board regarding the mixing as well ā€“ especially the percussion.

I frankly shied away from using a snare because my impulse is to do a kick snare kick snare type arrangement that Iā€™m trying to break out of, but I will try it out and place it where it sounds interesting. Just a trial and error thing. Iā€™m still kicking myself for losing the files to the sibling track you posted (it hurts to even think about).

Honestly, at this point in the production process is where I am at my weakest --revising/revisiting is a chore because iā€™m fighting the impulse to start from scratch. The foundations of the track are built and Iā€™m for some reason scared to change anything for fear of ruining the whole thing lol.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback, I will revisit and post again :slight_smile:

1 Like