Idea For A "Simple" Advanced Edit Scripting

I am not the biggest fan of running exes from anonymous authors on my system. They are closed source so it can be tough to see if there is any malicious code hidden inside them. I doubt that anyone here is that kind of person but who knows. It would be so easy to write one of these small programs that any script kiddie could have fun with us. If you force the script into a browser instance it has no ability to write to the system. This is much more secure. I believe you can pass variables to a browser instance directly. Regardless of the implementation I really like this idea.

I am mostly just playing devils advocate here. I like the flexible version but it only takes one teenage jerk to mess us up badly.

Well, you don’t exactly see Renoise drowning in 3rd party scripts today, so why would we expect to suddenly get flooded with suspicious .exe Renoise scripting files? Word gets around quite fast and most guys who would distribute such scripts for Renoise are well known in this community. Or just wait to run the .exe until it’s been confirmed as safe by the rest of us…

Anyway, I’d run Python scripts. You’d run javascripts, and another guy would love to parse the xml in good old Assembler… All of it should be optional. No need to limit anything because of some arbitrary ‘security issues’.

In addition to XML, maybe Renoise should decompress XRNS into a temporary directory allowing the scripts direct access to the WAV/FLAC/OGG files too? It could detect file changes after script execution and reload the data. This could give more DSP power to scripters too lazy to make a real plug-in?

I would like to enter the parameters for my scripts directly into renoise rather than have to design my own ui system.

This way we can have parameters without programming our own ui system. These params can be added to the file or appended to the script call. What do you guys think?

Browsers being able to load stuff from everywhere from the net could be used to load malicious stuff too, so this is no argument for me. I’d be one of the guys doing “scripts” in good old C probably.

At least on windows this is possible. Microsoft allows programming of so called HTML applications (*.hta), which do exactly this.

I like that idea a lot! This would be one less dependency to worry about, especially since i haven’t found a small ZIP library usable from C, which is crossplatform.

Again one more less dependency to worry about. A simple internal GUI engine would be awesome, since i could write my stuff in plain C, which would be very portable to other OS then. The script XML file would be a good place to store the GUI definition.

Now THAT is a really good idea!

Not just for the lazy, but also for the hungry and poor… ehh, I mean for the curious people who want to start experimenting in Notepad or something. Could boost some creativity in a very simple way.