Idea: Kickstarter campaign to make Renoise open source

To be fair - I think it was a post of someone disappointed by the slow speed of development & lack of communication (expecially in advance) from the dev team concerning what is planned and already in the forge. This pissed me off a while, too, but now I get by & just chill and wait for things to happen & people to troll around.

Fun fact: renoise is based on an open source tracker. And the original tracker’s mit license made the current commercial & closed source state valid. Go to the menu bar “help”->“About” and read the text, then do research, then say “Oh”…

Go to your user menu in the top right corner, then Manage Ignore Prefs.

Thanks dblue.

Open sauce?

funny-cat-trying-to-open-vodka-bottle.jp

maybe im not such a renoise professor/bug discoverer/millionaire as you,
but i can’t see the need for this.
renoise will go st if go open source.
get off your hands of it please!
i went through many systems for music and i stopped at renoise for it being stable, fast and exclusive cool peace of software.
excellent work. no need for updates for me currently.
if thing goes to too many open sourced hands, it just gets more problems on board, unnecessary slowing down features, more updates, more fixes, more shitty developers speculating with stupid addons/plugins.
i think this post is a big troll thing among others, that comes here and there on forum attempting to inject stupid multipurpose s
t in the heads of renoise developers.
please dont be an enemy of great working stable renoise. dont ruin it.
f$$k $ff with your wise features. sorry

Ah C’mon man, what kind of rubbish is this now? How old are you? 13 and in the puberty? I never said I would put hands on the code, since I don’t believe that I have taktik s skills and knowledge.

Handling an open source project can be a good or a bad thing and highly depends on the politics of the maintainer and also on the chosen license model. Most projects benefit from such a step. And everybody who wants could at least try to contribute.

Well, and regarding making suggestions, yes maybe I made too much already, but then just don’t read it, it’s just an idea and won’t harm you physically. Don’t be afraid, nobody will be injured or badly influenced.

This thread wasn’t meant as trolling, but as a serious idea. Kinda starts to get on my nerves that some of you try to turn almost every thread into shit.

And now fuck off yourself.

Are you for real ?

Are you just on this forum to bad mouth off in various threads ?

What exactly is your ploy ?

I think shall go back to my coolness, whatever that nonsense means ?

Try getting over yourself for a few minutes and realise that you are not the only person on planet earth, because to be perfectly honest, every single other existence on this planet is showing more decorum than you.

Intense. I don’t think I’ve seen this sort of interaction on the forums before.

While we’re doing the whole off topic thing, I’ve been pretty into pretzels dipped in hummus lately.

Was also sort of into the constructive discussion of an interesting topic, regardless of my personal opinions on the matter or on anyone else posting.

Maybe I should start a “favorite studio snacks” thread?

Edit: done. I can assure you no political gesture has been made in this post.

Absolutely, enjoy the studio snacks or bring them into the park.

Oh, and something I’d totally back on Kickstarter would be a Linux-basedunit capable of running Renoise in near-zero latency

It should have multiple inputs, output and be euro-rack mountable.

Open source hardware is also a thing.

Do you mean kind of general audio linux daw computer?

danoise, as in a teletype-like eurorack module that ran renoise? That alone would force me to get into modular.

Do you mean kind of general audio linux daw computer?

Yes. It’s very time-consuming to configure a well-performing linux box, find a sound card with good drivers, making everything go well together.
So the idea would be not to focus on a distribution alone but rather, finding combinations of hardware and software that work well - and document the whole thing!

The idea isn’t really unique, there are companies around that build professional rack-mountable systems specifically for musicians. This would be simply the open source equivalent of such a system. And it wouldn’t even cost a fortune if you were able to buy the components and assemble it yourself (10 years ago, such a system would have cost an arm and a leg!)

danoise, as in a teletype-like eurorack module that ran renoise?

This is pretty awesome but you can’t run Renoise: http://monome.org/docs/modular/teletype/

As always with Brian Crabtree, a slightly idiosyncratic approach.

Blender is open source , while being a fantastic 3d program it’s NEVER EVER BUGFREE .

With each release , new bugs dissapear , old bugs get ressurected …etc…

I don’t want to see this happen to renoise .

My 2cents