If You Were Buying A Notebook Now What Would It Be?

I have a macbook pro right now, which has worked well for me. But I think right for the money a used g4 mac powerbook (13 inch preferably) or one of those lenovo thinkpads are really solid choices. Super reliability is definitely something you want in a notebook.

My old 3ghz p4 runs renoise nearly 2x as fast as macbook 2,4ghz c2d. How’s that possible?
e: Must be the drivers? I’m asing here cuz I thought this might seed some info about laptops in general, but if it’s a driver issue then nevermind…

Don’t get a Vaio.

I don’t know a single Vaio user who is happy. Sony suck fuck as far as I am concerned.

Seriously, if you are looking for XP, get a Thinkpad.

The extra expense will be work it.

If you DON’T opt for a Thinkpad, you will be in lardy-plastic slab flabtop land for the forseeable future.

Thinkpads are used in space…

I own a MacBook Pro now and I will always own one (or two) in the future. Solid machine, never lets me down.

Same as Keith303 here, I also did my research and came to the same conclusion. 2.5Ghz penryn dual-core with 6mb cache, 4 GB, XP3 1530, except I went for 1680x1050 and a 200GB 7200 speed drive.

Beautiful laptop. Running ASIO 4 all. My only complaint it that there is a lot of self noise from the chipset. I have not got an external soundcard yet, but I can run it for a few hours easy on the 9 cell bat on high performance… which results in zero self noise.

Whoever said a laptop was unsuitable needs to get their fact right. Don’t think I have had a Renoise tune I have downloaded go beyond 15% CPU.

I was going to go for a Alienware, in fact I’d set my heart on one, then I came to my senses. I mean just check how much they charge for 4 GB, it’s £££ extra on top of 2 GB. Paying for a boutique brand I’m afraid there.

Just to make myself clear… the above comment is absolute rubbish.

Seriously! :wacko:

i’ll not praise thinkpad as much as i did, before owning one. of course it is good and maybe better, than a lot of other brands, but using it i experienced a broken display, dvd drive and a power supply. luckily, it all happened in a warranty period and was replaced fast. anyway, i still like this machine, it is working almost 24 hours a day, because i don’t have a desktop.

One of those new tiny Toshiba Satellites. Great for Renoise on the go.

Either that or an old G4 Macbook or a IBM P4.