Impressed With Renoise Tracker

just out of curiosity: does “great MIDI support” include writing of MIDI files? In that case, how is the result of MED-made MIDI files importing in ReNoise?

Exactly my question (well, a few words off actually :)). SMF export was available on OctaMED on Amiga at least, if I remember right. But I never tried it… Alex?

the SMF (MIDI) export of MED (in the PC versions too) is totally ok … but a more perfect solution is another small tool on amiga named Midit. It’s a CLI tool but there is a MUI-user interface available too (search Aminet).

Midit exports everything - every command-page and sysex-sends included within the patterns. The only problem is, it can’t load MED-songs made with the PC version of MED (=MMD3 nearly the same like the MMD2 … MMD2 should be possible with Midit too - unlike the info description of Midit - but not MMD3!)

I used Midit years ago to play my MED-songs onstage without MED. only with a midi-player and my synths … with perfect 1:1 results.

http://de.aminet.net/aminet/aminet/mus/mid…di/midit.readme

The results are ok as i said … this way it’s possible to get all note data … but of course the pattern-length information is lost. (imho MED was one of the first well known trackers with the possibility of individual pattern lengths) … :(

you see IT all possible solutions to get MED midi-only-oriented songs into Renoise is combined with hours of work for one song. i can choose to re-edit the patterns because of the lost length info, or reedit the note-off’s … that’s why i know i will try everything to code a simple converter (without sample-converting) if a rns-format description is available ;) … if no other guy does it ;)

if I’ve understood well, only the first 64 rows of the patterns are converted? In that case, maybe could be useful to try to edit the MED file in a way that the longest pattern is 64 rows, by cutting exceeding rows and pasting them into new patterns.

By the way, new XML-based format specifications are almost complete. Keep waiting ;)

All right. I decided to register this great tracker. Unfortunatelly my Visa card expired 2 months ago so Ill get another one till next friday so Ill register it in saturday via internet. I hope it will work using Visa card.

All best :)