Improvements of automation editing - collection

Really. I know Renoise is quite good. And I know that you maybe do not get it because there are habits. But it could be much more easy with some minor improvements.

Here is a collection:

1. show values on mouse over on a point: Would be helpful to get the value without holding mouse down on the point (and maybe accidently move it)

2. show real converted values for au plugins. AU supports it. Definitely.

3. vertical/horizontal lock as in photoshop: A shortcut to move and duplicate a point on the same x or y axis/moving points just in 0,90,180,270 degree: Maybe I did not get it, but how can I easily duplicate a point on exact the same height?

4. There is also a value field below which can always show the value on mouse position… Why not?

5. As I already suggested: A horizontal bar that always shows the current automation value on play position, so there is a crosshairs instead of a vertical position line.

6. There is a small rectangle next to a slider which indicates that there is automation on the slider. Thislittle rectangle could be used to temporarily disable automation by clicking with right mouse button. Also this feature in the list left to the automation.

7. In line mode: Double clicking on a point deletes the point just like in draw mode. Why this is so inconsistent?

Thanks.

Totally agree, especially number 1-3-5-7. Odd-numbered, yay!

And editing more pattern than once (making line through 4 pattern for fade in for example)!

Something little different but related:

Aye, would all be handy additions for sure +1

you can already do this, but you need to zoom out first to see more than one pattern (I use the mouse scrollwheel for this). Read the manual.

Common, just with line and it is boring linear fade in… if you wanna curve, you need to change every pattern individualy. If you wanna draw that fade in you cant, you are limited by pattern borders…

You need to be more specific when you just say fade-in. I would like to see an upgraded automation editor as well, but currently do the complexer envelope generation with tools, like; Automasher | Renoise

Yeah, i should be more specific, sorry. And to be honest i´ve forgot about line, dunno why :rolleyes:
Btw. i know these tools but automasher cant create one envelope for more patterns as i know :-(.

Hold the left ctrl/cmd key while hovering above the point: observe the node value → no need to move or touch the node at all…
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Graphical_Automation#Editing_with_the_Mouse

“Left Control” + Dragging a point will fine-tune its value. “Left Control” + Hovering over a point will display the point’s value.

vV, why not just show on mouseover? Why not use the display below?

Don’t ask me, the info is still a tooltip. The tooltip has a default delay when hovering with a mouse above a parameter supporting it. For the automation points this has to be enforced with the ctrl/cmd to have an immediate effect.
I also don’t know why it is done there and e.g. not for instance everywhere else (where i personally also would desire a quick glance at a parameter for consistency sake)

And this!!!

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?/topic/40969-nobug-linearcurvepoints-modulation-applies-just-for-one-pattern/page__fromsearch__1

I would like to add the following request for automation:

Moving automation left and right using cursor keys. You already can move the automation to up and down using cursor keys. At least I cannot find a shortcut for it, does it already exist?

Another idea:

Add “recording on/off” toggle to context menu of any parameter’s automation indicator, so you could even record the output of meta devices to a specific parameter and later modify the graph manually.

The record button could indicate with a third graphical state, if there is any parameter recording enabled. On right click on the record button, you would get a list of recording enabled parameters, with option to select the device and disable all again and disable single ones.

This “listening for change/input/recording” also in the api, so you didn’t had to write automation by script anymore, instead just move the slider, and renoise does the rest in a proper highres way… So for VSTi, instead observe for vst parameters, you would observe for input/change of the slider.