In what things Renoise is better than other DAWs

1. Why Renoise? In what things it is better for you?
    Easy editting. Small efficient program. Because the notes do not take up a dimension by placing them vertically in a piano roll for me there is more overview while still easy to see/ get into the details. The vertical way also does it for me.

2. Do you have musical education (know traditional notes, harmony etc) when you first try Renoise?
    nope, but i do know some harmony etc.

3. What other DAWs you try?
    cubase for a long time (i hate it!) ableton, reaper

4. What music styles you prefer?
    Nu metal/ (hard)Rock/ Triphop/ (psy)trance /pop

5. What music styles you compose in Renoise?
    (psy)trance/ triphop/ pop

Because itā€™s a tracker. It makes jotting down notes speedy.

2. Do you have musical education (know traditional notes, harmony etc) when you first try Renoise?
Nope.

Many, but Iā€™ve stopped trying anything new that isnā€™t a tracker.

I donā€™t know.

:walkman:

Totally workflow. I have no attention span at all. With Renoise, I can just do things on the fly without hours of pre-editing and preparation. It also just feels more natural to me. I see the relationship between all elements much more clearly than horizontally.

1. Do you have musical education (know traditional notes, harmony etc) when you first try Renoise?

None!

1. What other DAWs you try?

Reason, Ableton and FL. Oh and Reaper. Out of these I liked Ableton the most, but even that doesnā€™t really compare to Renoise :0

1. What music styles you prefer?

Anything decent to my ears. I listen to songs/pieces more than artists or genres.

1. What music styles you compose in Renoise?

Mostly electronic based. Drum & bass, hardcore, UK garage. Sometimes hip-hop. Started out doing breakcore (still love it!)

1. Itā€™s a great VST host, it has very nice to handle effects chains, I like the quick and easy workflow with the relatively new pattern matrix, also like most of its MIDI integration. The overall usability just resonates very well with me, because Iā€™ve used trackers in the past, but am also familiar with (modular) synthesis. The instrument and sample editors are pretty good, much better than in most other modern trackers or DAWs that have their own samplers. Also the level of automation and fine grained control you can get over your sound is great for somebody who is a lot into sound design like I am
  2. 12 years of violin lessons and 2 years of piano lessons.
  3. Acid, Psycle, VAZ, Cubase, Fruity Loops, Buzz, Ableton Live, Reason, Reaper, some other small free ones. Trackers are no DAWs but Fasttracker 1 and 2
  4. A lot of different music styles, I donā€™t feel like listing them all, but they range from classical over jazz, hip hop, electro and folk to singer/songwriter and film scores. It is very hard to describe what makes music I like music I like.
  5. Itā€™s mostly mellow electronic stuff, often taking on color of some demoscene-ish music, mainly because those were my early influences.

I do not see how these infos could help you advertise Renoise in your country, do you care to explain what you are planning?

Well, answers to question 1 and 2 may be an interesting pointā€¦ many users answer they have no music knowledge or little at all.

Renoise is quite versatile. Aside from what others have mentioned I use it for sound design (very quick for setting up samples, fx chains, quick renders, layering, and so forth). Also I probably use 90+% of the features in Renoise and I can count on one hand the times Iā€™ve consulted the manual. I find it very intuitive and self explanatory (though I do know trackers well).

1. Do you have musical education (know traditional notes, harmony etc) when you first try Renoise?

Yes, took schooling, got a piece of paper. Iā€™m very happy to avoid traditional notation in music making though, everything I want to do is held back by it.

1. What other DAWs you try?

I use Pro Tools and Ableton, occasionally Wavelab and Audition. (Oh, and Auria now too). None are a replacement for the other. Different tools for different reasons.

1. What music styles you compose in Renoise?

Lots, as I on and off do sound design aside from my usual rock, IDM and industrial-flavored projects.

• mainly drums and fast/precise sample triggering (for now)
  • computer keyboard integration (bound to the ā€œzenā€ of trackers)
  • single window with tabs
  • pattern style programming
  • the save format (except for vst and au for known reasons)

little bit

e v e r y t h i n g (even cross plattform)

all except german schlager and pure scream or random noise stuff. oh and those teen- collage- bands.

I like the fact I can trigger,paste and edit notes with my keyboard instead of doing this with a midi-keyboard.
And for some reason, working vertical seems more logical than working horizontal to me.

Nopez

Ableton Live,Reason,Cubaseā€¦ hate it. Acidā€“>still using it for mashups.

Indy,House,Drum&Bass,Hip Hop

Electro House, Fidget House & Dubstep, Stuff like this:

http://soundcloud.com/bob-houblon/bob-houblon-stompin

One reason I just came up with: renoise is super fast and responsive. When I just have written a loop I love to just ā€˜rewindā€™/cue dj style by hitting RCtrl a dozen timesā€¦ Donā€™t know of any other DAWs out there that have a keyboard shortcut for that built in. Wouldnā€™t wanna miss that.

Itā€™s the best tracker around. Traditional DAWs are just waaaay too slow to use.

Nope

Reason, Cubase and Sonar and countless trackers

Almost all of them

Almost all of them or atleast try to.

Tracking with a keyboard is much faster than sequencing in a DAW with a mouse. Iā€™m no real keyboard player, so I almost always have to record my notes one at a time by hand.

Trackers also have lots of built-in sample effects, allowing me to sequence my notes with all the vibrato, pitch-bends, glissando, or whatever. Those same effects in MIDI sequencing are much more of a hassle to do by hand.

Renoise itself brings a lot of other features beyond normal trackers. Realtime DSP effects, VST support, Rewire, and stability (Buzz has DSP effects, VST support and can generally crash hard without too much training).

I started with very brief piano lessons in 2nd grade, roughly age 7. I started in school band in 5th grade, roughly age 11. I taught myself guitar at age 13. I can read sheet music, but my music theory is otherwise somewhat limited and fairly rusty.

Iā€™ve used Cakewalk SONAR 5, still use Ableton Live 7 (trying to decide if I want to upgrade to 8 while itā€™s still discounted), am trying to get more comfortable using REAPER, and am currently infatuated with Renoise, despite itā€™s shortcomings for mixing.

I listen to almost anything except rap/hip-hop, country, and bluegrass. I love industrial, classical, classic rock, metal, punk, chip(Nectarine Radio FTW!)ā€¦and moreā€¦

Mostly electro-industrial-breakbeat mishmash.

1. In-sequencer sample mangling capabilities, powerful keyboard-based step sequencer, very good sample editor, easy to use and good looking interface, stable VST support, integrated slicerā€¦ and I like trackers with their geeky commands and hexadecimal codes.

2. I knew basics, what I have learned in elementary school.

3. Iā€™ve tried most of them in search for ā€œthe perfect dawā€. Before Renoise I mainly worked with Reason, Acid Pro and FL Studio on PC and Protracker and OctaMED on Amiga. Now I use it with Logic on Mac.

4. Rap (though I listen to any genre, depends on the mood).

5. Rap, electronic.

It works on Linux, is very stable, comes with a pile of very useful DSPs and an awesome sampling engine.
Editing note events is pretty quick and an overview of the track contents is pretty easy to get.

Studied music theory for myself before, I guess I got the basics nailed down.

Wrote my own midi sequencer, gave up because I wanted to make music and not another piece of software.
Tried out Ableton Live, Muse, Rosegarden, LMMS and Ardour. Never really made anything noteworthy with
them other than experiments.

Ambient, Space Music, Goa, Trance, Psytrance

Ambient, Experimental and toying around with Trance/Dance music stuff.

1. Gabberkicks
  2. Gabberkicks
  3. All of them
  4. Gabberkicks
  5. Gabberkicks

You might want to edit this before you grow up and realize you posted really lame things on the internet. Takes one to know one.

Why, did my spell-check miss something?

Considering the rest of his post, Iā€™m pretty sure he was just taking a trollish stab at your musical tastes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=everything+but+country+and+rap&aq=0&oq=everything+but+country&aqs=chrome.2.57j65j0l3.4722&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=bourgie&aq=f&oq=bourgie&aqs=chrome.0.57j5j0l2.3361&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I completely forgot to mention ā€˜popā€™. I donā€™t really care for most of that either :)

I prefer the ā€˜trackerā€™ approach of rhythmically banging your keyboard over the piano roll in Reason or Ableton Live.

I can read notes, harmonies and play an instrument in real life, so - yes, I definitely had some before Reason. Not sure if I had all that before trying my first tracker, though. (NewTracker on Amiga)

Tried some and stuck with Reason and Ableton Live (Rewire FTW!).

Breaks, a bit of progressive house, movie and videogame soundtracks.

House and breaks, both original and remixes. An example can be found here. :drummer:

in everything. Even in cold weather!