Incorrect Status-event Bar Message - When Running Out of Memory

When saving, I often get a dialog saying that rns “failed to validate the document…”. Then, the Status-Event Bar says “[songname] could not be saved!”.
Not true. It’s always saved here. And the song always works.
Been like this since (at least) rns 2.1.
btw:
Maybe an option to switch off the validation process? It often fails here due to memory shortage. But the songs are always working anyway.

Does it ever happen that the “document” is not validated because it’s corrupted? I thought validation was meant for more physically sensitive stuff like cd burning and such (of course there’s a purpose, I’m just wondering…).

Just out of curiosity :) , is this memory shortage due to ram or harddisk space?

Either way, upgrade your system!

OK, only the first part about the Incorrect Status-event Bar Message could/should be considered a bug.

Same thing with backup saving in out-of-memory-situations. In this case rns will pop up a dialog saying “Failed to save a backup of the current song!” after having done just that.

RAM! I have 2 GB. Thanks for the advice. In fact, it’s mostly due to huge xrns’s, long songs, many tracks and instruments.

But it’s not a problem for me (yet). Everything works fine.
And there’s also a way to avoid these messages: having another memory hungry application running at the same time. This will make renoise write more to the harddisk instead of ram. And then there’s no problem. Not even an apparent one.

If you have 4GB, you can start Windows with a special boot.ini option to gain another GB of memory, but that will currently be it.
Either use sampler plugins that allow DFD (direct from disk reading) or just don’t consume too much memory.
If Renoise will turn into a 64-bit variant one day, that particular problem will vanish (if you have enough memory ofcourse)

I could rephrase this to “may not be saved correctly”. But this does not really solve the real problem?
If validation failed, because Renoise is running out of memory or whatever, we can not guarantee that the song is correctly saved.

Yearh. Something like that would be correct.

I’m reporting this issue because someone might sometime find himself in a situation where

1. rns can’t complete validatation due to memory shortage no matter what he do,
  2. he thinks the song can’t be saved at all

A phrase like “song was saved but could not be validated and might not work” would let him know that

1. the song was saved
  2. there’s a (from my experience rather good) chance it works

This fixes your/our problem.
As I mentioned, my problem is really not a problem at all. The only way the memory issue affects me is this validation thing. But yes, it might be a sign of real problems to come. I’ll take care of it then.
Thanks for the information, Vincent. I’m familiar with these limits and possibilities.
I think the plugin grapper can often help bring down memory usage too?

EDIT: If you choose to fix, also remember to fix the saving backup failed dialog.