Inspiration

I’ve been stuck on inspiration for about 4 years now?..
I have enough inspiration, but not enough to finish things. The fresh start slowly turns into a boring loop that i can’t think of a fitting sequel for to break this repeatative main. It’s not that the song is repeatative, but my mind is tangled in it. I hear pretty much inspiring music around me and new sounds, but it does not seem to get to me that much.

A coop is mostly the solution in this situation, but when you have songs that expand over 200Megs of sample data (even truncated to the samples you only use!!), you think twice before exchanging yar stuff with other composers.
And with renoise you also have the plugins you have to share to make things work…

Another idea (which I’m admittedly yet to try, but I think might show promise):

Try to seperate the engineer you from the muse you. Goldie (drum n bass DJ/producer) and Jay Kay (from Jamiroquai) are like this; they can’t engineer, but they can imagine a track and tell the engineer what they want. In doing so, they come at dance music production from a “what would sound cool” direction, rather than a “what do my tools suggest” direction.

Goldie inspires his engineer, because the engineer wants to prove that what Goldie wants is possible. Working on his own the engineer might not bother.

Jay Kay vocalises what he wants for the drums and whatnot, and one engineer reckoned that if he ever learns how to engineer (and thus begins to think in terms of filters and LFOs and delays), they’ll all be stuffed.

The muse you has great ideas of how a dance music track should sound, and can probably “think” a tune through every step of the way, mainly because he doesn’t get paralysed by worrying about how to do it.

The engineer you gets too involved in the “how”, and what’s easily possible with the tools at his disposal, and what these presets and effects sound like, and possibly his knowledge of music theory, to see the forest for the trees.

Seperate these two processes, perhaps with the aid of a recording device to capture the muse you’s thoughts, humming and beatboxing, and then try and engineer it.

That said, I should probably take my own advice. :P