INSTR: Pitch scale of sample

Aiooo,

I have no idea where to put this feature yet.
Maybe it should be part of the Keyzones.

per sample, there should be an option to set the pitch scale.

(for example, if you want to put ambient background noise with no pitch underneath a pad with 1/2 tone pitch for all notes)

Have you explored the modulation sets thoroughly? You can really do quite more with the modulation sets than the eye might meet.
I’m sorry if i don’t understand you correctly, but the key-phrase “per sample” simply makes me consider using the modulation sets for that.
If these don’t perform your idea, then i would like to know what the modulation sets lack for this?

Layers should each be pitched in per note set presets of frequencies.

now we only regular pitch following input note: or equal temper (1 stands to 12*SQRT(2) = 1.105946309435 )).

I am missing “no pitch regardless of input note”, 1/2 the input note pitch, 1/4th the input note pitch, or for example, the 31 tonal system (Euler-Fokker) or the pythagorean (Pythagoras) system.

Their pitch should be applied over all notes selected in a samples Keyzone (input key range) with a preset instead of combining devices.

There should not be a requirement to calculate complex scales like the exact pythagorean with a formula; these should be keyzone pitches than can be edited or presets in frequency per note. The modulation pitch envelope functions more as a “tuner” from the (unselectable) pitch scale now, which is only equally tempered. So, in the Keyzones, there can be a “pitch scaling” next to the “range notes” with presets. My old 1989 synth even contained a table which allowed you to set the relative to A 440Hz frequency per note per layer for the same sample (keyzone) and choose between presets varying from “1/2 note pitch” to “no pitch” to “equal temper” to “inverted equal temper” divided over the whole range that that sample was pitched (keyzoned) in.

I would like the pitch NOT TO PITCH on all notes - this is impossible, all notes pitch to the input note
I would like the pitch TO BE HALF of the input note - this is complex as all pitch envelopes are related to original note
I would like the pitch TO BE TWICE the input note - this is complex as all pitch envelopes are related to original note
I would like the pitch TO BE INVERTED on all notes - this is impossible, all notes pitch relative to their input note

How about control the pitch from the automation in the track which give you full freedom? In the below example the pitch has a simple operator that does not do anything but remaining at a specific position until it is controlled:

This is not an option. I want presets. Of different frequencies per note. This is called “instrument tuning”.

I want to instantly be able to NOT PITCH a sample over it’s keyzones
I want to instantly be able to PITCH ALL NOTES ACCORDING TO …(preset)…
(preset) = 1/2 note, 1/4 note, reversed (from high to low), reversed 1/2 note (from high to low), pythagorean, custom scheme for all notes to save/load with A0 44Hz and B0 100Hz and C0 77.88Hz etc

all notes now have a Pitch envelope - from there you can pitch from the frequency from the input note.
but the frequency of the input note is now FIXED (as in equal temper tuning always.)

there is a keytracker; but it’s impossible to set all frequencies individually per note easily editable with one keytracker device.

So, if I wanted, in my piano, I could easily tune the 3 strings per note in frequency. Renoise can’t, it needs a modulating formula.

Then you need something that is capable of selecting chain sets from within the track, but because of the big numbers that are guided along with it, this is pretty much only automatable and not on delay positions.
In your case you would only need four sets which are addressable with a pattern effect command, but more than 14 sets cannot be controlled.

It will take quite a while before Renoise will revolve the internal instrument control that far, but if you really need that kind of stuff right now, i can only suggest you to take a look at the Independence sampler of Yellow Tools which offers this kind of functionality.

On a related topic, having a sample that preserves the same pitch across the whole range would be quite useful for example, for breath sounds in a wind instrument, or some “static” element of a synth sound, etc.

I’d see this as an entry in the Scales menu: “Constant tone” or something. /* edit */ oh wait, … the scale setting is per-instrument, not per-sample… forget what i just said then -)

You can have settings per sample, you just cannot have multiple settings per sample. The only way to go around it now is copy the same sample, attach it to a velocity level near the velocity level of the other sample and attach a new set with the new scale to it. This way you could have 64 samples each giving four sets (64*4 = 256). It can consume a large amount of ram though and your velocity levels interpolate in levels of 4 minimum.

First velocity layer, 4 different sets:
Velocity level 10 Sample01 -> attached to Set 01 with no pitch scaling
Velocity level 11 Sample_01_dup -> attached to Set 02 with pitch scaling x (pitch all 1/2 semitone)
Velocity level 12 Sample_01_dup2 -> attached to Set 03 with pitch scaling y (pitch *2)
Velocity level 13 Sample_01_dup3 -> attached to Set 04 with pitch scaling z (pitch inverted)

Second velocity layer, 4 different sets:
Velocity level 20 Sample02 -> attached to Set 01 with no pitch scaling
Velocity level 21 Sample_02_dup -> attached to Set 02 with pitch scaling x (pitch all 1/2 semitone)
Velocity level 22 Sample_02_dup2 -> attached to Set 03 with pitch scaling y (pitch *2)
Velocity level 23 Sample_02_dup3 -> attached to Set 04 with pitch scaling z (pitch inverted)

Now if Taktik adds sample aliassing, the RAM abusement will be resolved, you would still need to use velocity layers to allow different chains being used on the same sample and trigger them with velocity values.

Here is an example instrument that does this, the velocity scales are just a bit extended to be able to get some rough idea when triggering it with the midi keyboard:
Attachment 4402 not found.
It will not be easy to jam in a lead live though.
If you do want something live, it is possible to create a script that listens to midi or keyboard shortcuts where you can change the modulation sets, but in that case you can’t really compose with that.

I have found a free application that can do exactly all the things to tune the scale of any MIDI file.

Scala can use .scl files with scale definitions and/or edit the (relative) pitch of each note in the interface,

and then apply the new scale to any MIDI file.

It was very easy to invert the equal temper scale and apply this to a MIDI file for me. Sounds wonderful.

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/for Scala and a (real big) number of .scl scale definitions.

If you want to compose or play live in a certain scale, you can use this wonderful free piano VST/AU plugin:

http://www.supremepiano.com/product/piano1.html

• on the Piano tab in the Neo_Piano plugin, load the .ins file that comes with the download as Piano File

• on the Tuning tab in the Neo_Piano plugin, load the .scl file for the scale / tuning to use

This isn’t about bitch scaling, it is about “tuning”.

And this reminded me of:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-scl-to-xrni/38075

Could bitch scale your instruments with scala tunings, maybe it could be revived & updated to 3.1 if it doesn’t work right away? Afta8 is still active here, after all?