Is Renoise terminated?

You do not make jokes, some users may take your words seriously! :unsure:

Taktik took a bike ride and now works at Ableton instead, he created Ableton link and their new sample slice system in exchange for the filters we got in redux. On the plus side, 3.2 will have Ableton link.

Taktik took a bike ride and now works at Ableton instead, he created Ableton link. On the plus side, 3.2 will have Ableton link.

I understood that was allied with Bitwing! ^_^Renoise-Bitwing fusion: “Bitrenowingise” is the new project…The name is too long for people to talk.

Hi xbitz , thanks for the info. I like MUX,but it costs 59 €.However, I leave the official link, if anyone cares:

http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html

yepp same feelings, IMO currently a MUX Modular wrapper is the best solution to solve this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xFX0N7Hr4c

can create keyzones, can use multi-out, has drag and drop support also has inbuilt macro system which can be connected directly to a Doofer one etc. (ok … it’s also costs some money)

Ehum… That goes a little beyond my horizon. Muxers and doofers and all that. I can’t even buy a pizza without worrying if the money gonna last the rest of the month so the muxer thing for 60 bucks is like grasping for the moon at the time being (as is the ReNoise license)

I have several kinks to fight with for the MIDI routing that are quite frustrating…

For now. this is what I have to do all the time with the MIDI device routing;

Using a M-Audio Key 69 I can set up to 4 keyzones on it using seperate channels. But it’s a rather poor workaround for the pitch and mod-wheel will then be limited to only one of those channels and will hence not work on the other instruments.

Problem nr 2 with the MIDI routing is that Mute/Solo does not work properly. For some mysterious reason, ReNoise still plays all the VST and trigger all their notes on the track, it only mutes the sound. There is a thing in Options supposedly to fix that but it doesn’t work properly. Using a ton of VST’s, this eventually borks the CPU with overload at some 8-16 tracks going on and all the VST are processed, even the ones that are temporarily muted.

Problem nr 3 with MIDI routing is that some VST, quite many in fact, will only work on Omni-channel. This also complicates it with the built in Keyzone per MIDI channel on my M-Audio controller.

Problem nr 4 is that I record a lot of it all live, as in real time playing, and the inability to rather swiftly swap instruments on and off makes that needlessly difficult.

This should be done with the numerical keys used for instrument selection being toggles, and VST’s should be working as they get highlighted in instrument window rather the complicated MIDI-routing and then manually pull down the volume sliders per track on my M-Audio controller or similar.

For example, in Sudio One, the only thing I like about that software is the “monitor” button each instrument has. This does the trick for VST. It toggles them on and off. Literally, as in no note triggers or sound. And it allows for as many VSTs as the CPU can handle to be played at any given time, no matter what channel they are on.
It shouldn’t be that hard to make ReNoise instrument selection window and the numerical keys do same thing.

Just some thoughts. :walkman:

Speaking of patience, thisparticular forum post from taktik is worthreading again today:

http://forum.renoise…lease/?p=293449

Sadly… That thread is 3 years old. Don’t want to sound pessimistic or anything but I’m not a young man and if the updates are years between, I may just have to give up on this alltogether. My hearing and vision are not getting better with old age. This is the reason I was asking if it was worth to purchase the license. I don’t feel good about paying that amount of money (Some of you say its cheap, but you guys don’t know my situation - everything is relative, especially pricetags) for something that may or may not ever happen at all. Does that make sense? - Had the updates been weeks or maybe months between. Ok, I’d find a way to scrounge up the cash. But not with the way it is now I’m afraid. I can’t motivate that.

Appretiate all the replies here so far though.

** Edited a few times for the most brutal typos… **

Speaking of patience, thisparticular forum post from taktik is worthreading again today:

http://forum.renoise…lease/?p=293449

Sadly… That thread is 3 years old. Don’t want to sound pessimistic or anything but I’m not a young man and if the updates are years between, I may just have to give up on this alltogether. My hearing and vision are not getting better with old age. This is the reason I was asking if it was worth to purchase the license. I don’t feel good about paying that amount of money (Some of you say its cheap, but you guys don’t know my situation - everything is relative, especially pricetags) for something that may or may not ever happen at all. Does that make sense? - Had the updates been weeks or maybe months between. Ok, I’d find a way to scrounge up the cash. But not with the way it is now I’m afraid. I can’t motivate that.

Renoise is just like any other product in that you buy the actual thing, not some potential future version of that thing. So if you conclude that Renoise currently doesn’t meet your requirements in terms of needed features, it seems quite reasonable to not buy a full license for this particular tool —especiallyif money is an issue.

It’s a bit tough to deal with the fact that Renoise development seems to get slower and slower for each new release. But at the same time it seems reasonable as the codebase gets more complex and the team stays small.

However,let’s not rule out the developers’sense of idealism here.

Maybe they are willing at some point to actually discuss alternative paths for this great project to live and prosper.

Now, my eldest son is 17 and very much into game programming. He said to me the other day, as he demonstrated his new Playstation VR stuff, “Dad, maybe in 10 years from now we’ll see innovative music software in a virtual reality framework”. Then he showed me the stuff he’s doing in Unreal Engine and I have to say that the text on their website really got me, so I’ll quote it here:

If you love something,

Set it free

Unreal Engine is now FREE
FREE for game development. FREE for Virtual Reality.
FREE for education. FREE for architecture. FREE for film.

Pay a 5% royalty on games and applications you release. We succeed when you succeed.

(Quoted from: https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4 )

Now maybe the developers of Renoise are open to similar thoughts in the future. At least that’s what I’m hoping for, and I’ve been using Renoise since 2002 so I guess I’ve beenpatient enough. If they were tomake it possible tolicense portionsof the codebase rather than the compiled software, we’re talking a whole new game.

Let’s not rule anything out. Maybe a “Renoise Engine” is there on the horizon. Maybe we’ll once again see the great tracker community flourish.

If you can’t afford Renoise, then use the demo, create a great track forMBC#9(ask someone to render your XRNS), win the bucks, and buy Renoise. :wink:

Actually I was considering the same - whether to buy the full version in light of slow / sporadic updates - but came to the conclusion that current v3.1 already does much more than I need, so I’ve bitten the bullet.

Fingers crossed for new features and all that, but I’d be happy with my purchase even if v3.1 was the last one we get.

Using a M-Audio Key 69 I can set up to 4 keyzones on it using seperate channels. But it’s a rather poor workaround for the pitch and mod-wheel will then be limited to only one of those channels and will hence not work on the other instruments.

You want a traditional split keyboard, with various ranges playing different instruments?
Maybe I didn’t completely understand what you are trying to achieve, but you can achieve this via Midi > Input - the splits are saved as part of the song. See my previous answer?

Problem nr 2 with the MIDI routing is that Mute/Solo does not work properly. For some mysterious reason, ReNoise still plays all the VST and trigger all their notes on the track, it only mutes the sound.

Yes, tracks can be muted in two ways. Here’s how I usually understand them:

I always likened it to the difference between a conductor and a producer.

Off = conductor telling orchestra to stop playing, eventually comes to a halt
Mute = producer turning down fader, instant change but band is still playing

So, depending on what you choose, MIDI mapping the mixer solo/mute buttons will have either one behavior.

Note:_matrix mutes_will always use Off

Problem nr 4 is that I record a lot of it all live, as in real time playing, and the inability to rather swiftly swap instruments on and off makes that needlessly difficult.
This should be done with the numerical keys used for instrument selection being toggles, and VST’s should be working as they get highlighted in instrument window rather the complicated MIDI-routing and then manually pull down the volume sliders per track on my M-Audio controller or similar.

For example, in Sudio One, the only thing I like about that software is the “monitor” button each instrument has. This does the trick for VST. It toggles them on and off. Literally, as in no note triggers or sound. And it allows for as many VSTs as the CPU can handle to be played at any given time, no matter what channel they are on.
It shouldn’t be that hard to make ReNoise instrument selection window and the numerical keys do same thing.

Just some thoughts. :walkman:

Ok, that’s a different scenario. Some of these plugins are so heavy that, even in the_idle state_ they’re bringing down performance?

Unfortunately, there’s no explicit “enable/disable this plugin” switch in Renoise. Closest thing is the “Auto suspend”, which is located here for effects, and simularly in the Plugin panel for VST/AU instruments

I’d use this feature with caution - possible side-effects include plugins loosing the timing, trouble when rendering and so on…

Note :Read this comment before the last of Danoise. He got ahead of me :slight_smile:

Hi Finnishcoffee. I’m going to be honest. In my case, the price of Renoise for Spain is: 58,00€ (+ VAT 12,18€) = 70,18€ (euros).I suppose in other countries the price will vary.I have a licence for Renoise and other licence for Redux.I bought Redux to support Renoise’s project, although I know I was not going to use it widely.And I do not have the money either, I had to save.And honestly, I did not like that the team of Renose spending time in Redux.Because it is development time not invested directly in Renoise, but it is a small team and needs to be financed in some way, I suppose…

Now compare the price of Renoise with other DAWs.Then you will see that Renoise is the DAW more cheaper.Therefore, the problem is not the cheap price of Renoise, but rather their purchasing power.If you can not buy it, I suggest you save.The reason is that version 3.1, without any future update, already has a value much higher than 70 €.You are lucky to buy it at a price that is contained.You buy a DAW with 14 years of history.It is no small thing.If you ask for more complicated things, maybe you should save more money, and buy other software in the future.

If you want to compose and record live with VSTi, I suggest you do it per steps.Play one instrument. Ends. Then another, and so it goes completing its composition.I only use a midi keyboard for everything. But maybe you can connect more keyboards or midi devices and routing (more money).

However, it would be a great help to create a keyzones for a keyboard midi only for control various VSTi in the same time and have a visual aid.It would be more sophisticated than using XRNI renoise instruments and his keyzones section, but it would be advanced level already. Danoise says something about it, but it looks very complicated to control with the view.Maybe other users who have multiple connected midi devices can help, since they will be more involved in the matter…

Right now I have a 61-key midi keyboard with 16 additional pads (Novation Launchkey 61).I do not know if I can assign the keys to a VST # 1, and the pads to a VSTi # 2…So with the keyboard playing a multi-octave instrument, and with the pads, the percussion, for example.The problem is to assign each pad the specific percussion within the VSTi.All this I see already convoluted.

Regarding the updates, it is true. Many of the renoisersare older with age and tired sight.In the forums is full of comments of complaints about the lack of faster updates, because users get older, I included, and is desolating…And we also need a Renoise to accept larger screen resolutions so as not to break the view.I’m sure the developers know it. Something they are doing behind closed doors to solve it… even with his small team.

MUX cost 59€ (per Paypal, checked).That’s why I put the price.It seems like an out of place solution, more so it can cost more than the DAW Renoise itself.

And then another reflection:If it can hurt to buy Renoise’s license, how much will it hurt to buy several VSTi of a certain quality? Because the prices of these are not cheap precisely…

yes renoise is dead , all the developers have been bought out by apple , they are now working on a ios tracker with piano roll

You have to buy an iphone or ipad, a special controller connected to the mini jack connector that is discontinued, so you then need a special adapter for only 995,- and link it up with the iwatch to make it work. You save files directly into icloud, which automatically publishes it on itunes. You may buy the rights to your song for a small fee.

Renoise is just like any other product in that you buy the actual thing, not some potential future version of that thing.

Nope.

https://www.renoise.com/shop

Renoise Digital Audio Workstation
Full version license (3.1 - 4.1)

Your license is valid for one full version. For example, if you start with Renoise 2.7 you’ll get updates up until, and including, 3.7. Our point releases pack features, not just maintenance updates. Check out our release notes and see for yourself what a great value this represents.

Na, it’s not “terminated”, but we’re currently indeed busy with something else which has nothing directly to do with Renoise, but may benefit it on a long term. For this year we’ve only a little Renoise bug fix release planed and a few updates to the contents/libraries.

Either way, use it for what it is and not for what it maybe could be.

Good to get a little feedback and some sage advice. Thank you.

OK I’m back on this forum and I just tried out renoise 3.1 (been using 2.8 previously).
I still have this exact same problem and I feel I have to try explain it different then the first time.

When in “edit” mode - The problem is when using more then one instrument (VST) that Renoise is recording every single keynote on every track at all times.
This is what is creating the problem with recording as an actual musician, meaning real time playing of the select instruments.

What Renoise need is a way to record only some instruments while leaving the others idle. Or to put it in a different perspective, A “Recording” flag per track and/or Instrument so only those are recorded.
I find it mindboggling that this is not there, or maybe I’m just a senile old fart who doesn’t know how to do it. LOL

Example:

Instrument 1 is a piano VST
Instrument 2 is strings VST
Instrument 3 is a Flute VST
Instrument 4 maybe a Choir VST

Recording nr 1 I play only strings and choir, starting with the strings, choirs fading in and out using a MIDI fader to control volume of the track they are routed to.

Problem is, Renoise is recording all 4 instruments on their designated tracks and even though they don’t make sound (Volume to zero) - Program still plays the notes on each one of the VST’s while “Edit” is on and this also means CPU load is same as if all of them were audible. The MUTE button does nothing to change this. It SHOULD prevent any MIDI information, be it Keystrokes, Pitchwheel, modulation or whatnot, from even happening during the recording.

So when I’m done with the strings and choir, I have to actually backtrack and mark every single note in the tracker for the piano and the flute and delete them.
Retardedly timeconsuming and negates the whole idea of using a MIDI controller I think.

Recording 2; Now I want to play the Piano and the Flute. Modulation and Pitchwheel is used on the Flute from time to time and lo and behold… ALL VST.s on that same MIDI channel are modulated and pitched, even when they shouldn’t be because I have no way to turn off recording on those instruments/tracks individually…

What am I missing here? Is there a way to turn off that so it only records the selected instruments and don’t mess with everything else as well just because I have to use MIDI routing for playing multiple VST’s at same time?
It doesn’t make sense that it records all instruments no matter what.

Aside from this and a few minor nuisances, Renoise is the tracker that I like best. There aren’t all that many to choose from to begin with but I don’t like the other DAW’s that has Studio One look.
I’m an old school OctaMED Soundstudio (Amiga era) user and ReNoise is the closest I could find to that one. =)

Also noticed that the Instrument Editor is detachable. But wouldn’t it be nice to detach the Mixer? - I find myself swaping between tracker and mixer a lot. having the mixer on the other monitor would be awesome. :slight_smile:

M.C in Finland

Na, it’s not “terminated”, but we’re currently indeed busy with something else which has nothing directly to do with Renoise, but may benefit it on a long term. For this year we’ve only a little Renoise bug fix release planed and a few updates to the contents/libraries.

Nice to hear some words from you taktik, much appreciated!!

Nope.

https://www.renoise.com/shop

Renoise Digital Audio Workstation
Full version license (3.1 - 4.1)

Sure, you’re absolutely right about the license being valid between versions X.Y and (X+1).Y.

What I meant to say was more along what taktik just said, i.e. that you actually should buy the current existing product rather than some non-existing potential product. As a user you’re granted the license to use the software as-is, but not entitled to have your preferred features implemented.

Sure, you’re absolutely right about the license being valid between versions X.Y and (X+1).Y.

What I meant to say was more along what taktik just said, i.e. that you actually should buy the current existing product rather than some non-existing potential product. As a user you’re granted the license to use the software as-is, but not entitled to have your preferred features implemented.

Yes,Renoise has 14 or 15 years of history. This is what you are buying.What is included in the license (more versions, is an addition to sell more), will come.It is assumed that the users trust the words of Renoise’s team.Obviously there will be improvements and more versions. It’s a matter of time, and also to continue to support by the community (the moment the community disappears, Renoise loses meaning).

OK I’m back on this forum and I just tried out renoise 3.1 (been using 2.8 previously).
I still have this exact same problem and I feel I have to try explain it different then the first time.

etc

Hi!I’m not sure what exactly happens to him.

Do you use the VSTi alias? (/Plugin “VST alias”)

And then you route each VSTi alias to a separate track? (/Plugin “Audio Routing”)

If you do well each VSTi alias ---- track routing,Each track takes control of each VSTi separately. Turn on the silence, and it will work.

For example:

• (in Instrument Box) instrument 00: Label “String”
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 01: VSTi (Kontakt Player + library 01), Audio Routing: Track 01 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 02: VSTi alias (Instrument 01) (Kontakt Player + library 02), Audio Routing: Track 02 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 03:VSTi alias (Instrument 01)(Kontakt Player + library 03), Audio Routing: Track 03 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 04:VSTi alias (Instrument 01)(Kontakt Player + library 04), Audio Routing: Track 04 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 05: Label “Wind”
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 06: VSTi (Kontakt Player + library 01), Audio Routing: Track 05 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 07:VSTi alias (Instrument 06)(Kontakt Player + library 02), Audio Routing: Track 06 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 08:VSTi alias (Instrument 06)(Kontakt Player + library 03), Audio Routing: Track 07 (in Pattern Editor)
  • etc.

The VSTi alias appears in the drop-down menu “Plugins”, when you have already added at least one VST to the instrument box.

Do not confuse “VST” (effect in DSP chain) with “VSTi” (instrument in Plugins).Is not the same.

It is important the “Audio Routing”.For example, the Kontakt 5 allows 44 Buses.You can load 44 libraries at once with 1 VSTi and 43 VSTi alias , and Audio Routing In each Track in the Pattern Editor.Each track controls each VSTI alias separately.This serves to consume less resources of your hardware.You can ignore the VST alias, and use each slot in the instrument box for a separate VSTi (various Kontakt 5, more resources).

When playing an instrument, first select each track associated with the instrument (VSTi or VSTi alias). Active the select automatically the current instrument in Pattern Editor (ALT + SHIFT + Ç).

Use Groups in Pattern Editor to use different effects and common functions (mute various tracks inside the group, gain, reverb…)

I recognize that this is a little confusing.But I guarantee it works fine.I have gotten to load 28 GB of libraries in memory RAM with multitude of VSTi alias.Surprisingly Renoise holds out like a champion (I own 32GB of DDR4 RAM).

If I have not understood correctly what happens to him, apologize for the long message.If you use orchestra instruments, welcome.Renoise is not just for electronic or experimental music.Also serves classical music or broad symphony orchestra.

Note : By the way, “Midi Routing” of each VSTi I think it is done just like “Audio Routing” in Plugins.I do not usually use Midi Routing,Because I record live in steps.For example, I first use a viola for compas (rhythm), and then play the piano separately, then percussion, and stretch the piece, add details, etc.I do not try to control several instruments at a time, but “the idea of here and now”…This way I have more control of what happens, even if it seems the opposite.

@ Raul

Yup. I use the MIDI and Audio routing to make sure all VSTi instruments stay put in a a designated track.
The stuff you are mentioning in your post are new to me. Selecting several tracks at once and using groups? - I didn’t know that existed. Once the VSTi are set up and routed, they don’t play or record in other tracks and I thought that would be sufficient. I’ll have to start the program and look at that.

What happens is that I start recording and play live with the instruments I want to use, say the piano and the flute. The strings and choir tracks are silenced with Volume slider to minimum. I tried using MUTE but that didn’t make a difference.
So when I start playing, ALL instruments produce notes in their tracks. That’s the problem. I can’t figure out a quick and simple way to stop MIDI routed instruments from constantly being recorded without first undo the MIDI routing on them and that very effectively kills my chanses to swap instruments on the fly, while playing.

Each track has a a SOLO and a MUTE. None stops notes from a routed instrument to be recorded.
A third button “RECORD” appears to be what is missing on each track.

Maybe I should simply make a video where i show and tell what’s going on for it’s hard to explain. :smiley:

@ Raul

Yup. I use the MIDI and Audio routing to make sure all VSTi instruments stay put in a a designated track.
The stuff you are mentioning in your post are new to me. Selecting several tracks at once and using groups? - I didn’t know that existed. Once the VSTi are set up and routed, they don’t play or record in other tracks and I thought that would be sufficient. I’ll have to start the program and look at that.

What happens is that I start recording and play live with the instruments I want to use, say the piano and the flute. The strings and choir tracks are silenced with Volume slider to minimum. I tried using MUTE but that didn’t make a difference.
So when I start playing, ALL instruments produce notes in their tracks. That’s the problem. I can’t figure out a quick and simple way to stop MIDI routed instruments from constantly being recorded without first undo the MIDI routing on them and that very effectively kills my chanses to swap instruments on the fly, while playing.

Each track has a a SOLO and a MUTE. None stops notes from a routed instrument to be recorded.
A third button “RECORD” appears to be what is missing on each track.

Maybe I should simply make a video where i show and tell what’s going on for it’s hard to explain. :smiley:

Yes,You can use “Groups” in the Pattern Editor to control endless Tracks at once.You have up to 5 levels of Groups (in Pattern Editor):

• “CTRL + T” = insert a Track
  • “CTRL + G” = insert a Group
  • Clic central button Mouse = Mute Track/Group

It seems like you have a problem with MIDI routing with your keyboard MIDI. If you make a video it would be great :slight_smile:

When recording live, you must select the track related to the “VST instrument” with routed audio.If you play your musical keyboard, Renoise should record notes only on the selected track, not in multiple tracks.

Note: the Groups do not accept notes.I suggest that you master the groups to control types of similar instruments at the same time (volume, gain, mute, solo, etc.)…