Is there any way to bind instrument selection to MIDI CC?

Hello!

I’m using Renoise with several virtual synths and MIDI keyboard (Novation Impulse 25)for live performance. My synths are binded to tracks through “Plugin -> Outputs & Routing” menu.

When I want to choose another instrument, I have to select it in GUI using touchpad. It takes too much time, so I started looking for alternatives. My keyboard has some unused buttons, and I tried to bind them to “Navigation:Instruments:Increase/Decrease Current Instrument [Trigger]”, but I’m not really satisfied with result. It’s not really consistent, sometimes instrument number doesn’t change, sometimes it change too much.

Ideally, I’d like to somehow bind an instrument to MIDI CC, so when I press a certain controller button, a certain instrument become selected. However, I didn’t find such a binding in Renoise. Searching forums didn’t give anything relevant. Any ideas?

Thanks!

As I mentioned in another post recently, it is possible to have an instrument in Renoise respond on a different MIDI channel.

Theoretically, you could set up your instruments for live performance on different MIDI channels, and then switch channels on the fly from your controller.

I see that the Novation Impulse even seems to have a dedicated “MIDI Chan” button for this.

Maybe you can give that a try?

As I mentioned in another post recently, it is possible to have an instrument in Renoise respond on a different MIDI channel.

Theoretically, you could set up your instruments for live performance on different MIDI channels, and then switch channels on the fly from your controller.

I see that the Novation Impulse even seems to have a dedicated “MIDI Chan” button for this.

Maybe you can give that a try?

Seem to work. It’s still not ideal because I have to press “MIDI Chan” button and then _slightly_turn the “Data” knob, but it’s definitely better than touchpad and is fast enough. Thanks dblue! :slight_smile:

I have to press “MIDI Chan” button and then _slightly_turn the “Data” knob (…)

Ah, I thought perhaps the +/- buttons could be used to step through a single value.

I’m not too familiar with the Impulse, but I do have a Remote 25 SL (which I barely use, haha). I know I can set up templates on that thing, and then quickly switch them with a single button push. Perhaps you can do something similar with the Impulse, setting up a handful of generic templates which use different channels, and then flip between those instead?

Perhaps you can do something similar with the Impulse, setting up a handful of generic templates which use different channels, and then flip between those instead?

You’re totally right. I used to think that I can select templates only by using the same “Data” knob. Can’t believe I didn’t realize by myself that I can use +/- buttons as well. Thanks again!