Issue with Internal Sequencers (in VSTs)

Hi! I went to the IRC about this issue, but nobody seemed to know and they said it’d be better to ask here.

I’ve been using lots of VSTs recently that utilize internal sequencers/lfos - a good example is FXpansion’s Tremor. Tremor is a drum machine with an internal sequencer which is unique in that each “lane” of the pattern can play at a different specified time signature / loop length, which makes poly-rhythms really easy.

My frustration is this: if I press play in renoise, as soon as renoise hit’s the end of it’s “song” (by default on opening, the 64 line blank pattern), it sends this message to Tremor (and other VSTs) to “reset” and start over at the very beginning. So, if I have a complex rhythm with lots of parts going in my VST, or, say, an LFO that isn’t perfectly synced with the BPM, as soon as renoise hit’s the end of the pattern everything gets reset, which is really jarring and frustrating.

I assume there must be a way to turn of renoise sending this “reset” message it’s sending to my VSTs, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the option, and the only idea people in the IRC had was to “just add more blank patterns”, which is frustrating because no matter how long the “song”, it will eventually hit the end, and it can be very unexpected when it does, especially if your VST’s internal sequencer isn’t synced up with stuff and you just wanna jam.

If I wanted to do this type of thing in ableton, I’d just open up Tremor (or another VST), press play, and just jam and not worry about anything getting reset suddenly because it’s “song” is infinite.

Hopefully I explained this well enough, I would really appreciate some help on this matter because it’s really frustrating. Just in case I didn’t explain it decently enough:

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open up renoise and a VST with an internal sequencer / lfo (depends a bit on the plugin)

2. Set the sequencer/lfo to something other than 4/4, or in a way that it will not match up perfectly with the end of renoise’s default 64line pattern

3. Press play and watch it reset once the end of the pattern in renoise is reached.

Expected Results: Internal pattern just keeps on going inside the VST without sudden interruption? Or there’d be an option like “Turn of internal sequencer reset at end of song” in the preferences? idk

Actual Results: Internal pattern is reset.

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

My frustration is this: if I press play in renoise, as soon as renoise hit’s the end of it’s “song” (by default on opening, the 64 line blank pattern), it sends this message to Tremor (and other VSTs) to “reset” and start over at the very beginning.

There is not a ‘reset’ message as much as it’s just transmitting the current song position. And I think it would be a terrible decision to allow Renoise to not send the proper song-position to plugins. Ableton does this, Renoise does this. The only difference is that the Ableton document is open-ended.

But if you just add enough patterns to make the Renoise song longer - as long you’d realistically need - there is no problem, right?

PS: If you’re really into a live jamming-on-a-pattern type of workflow I would recommend a tool like Bystrano’s Auto Clone Patterns.

There is not a ‘reset’ message as much as it’s just transmitting the current song position. And I think it would be a terrible decision to allow Renoise to not send the proper song-position to plugins. Ableton does this, Renoise does this. The only difference is that the Ableton document is open-ended.

But if you just add enough patterns to make the Renoise song longer - as long you’d realistically need - there is no problem, right?

PS: If you’re really into a live jamming-on-a-pattern type of workflow I would recommend a tool like Bystrano’s Auto Clone Patterns.

Thanks for the quick response!

I appreciate your suggestion, and I think that tool is just what I was looking for; only, it doesn’t seem to work on the newest renoise :frowning:
Are there any other options / maybe I’m using the tool wrong?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the quick response!

I appreciate your suggestion, and I think that tool is just what I was looking for; only, it doesn’t seem to work on the newest renoise :frowning:
Are there any other options / maybe I’m using the tool wrong?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Nevermind! I figured out how to get it to work; you need to be in record mode, and you have to set the pattern to loop.

Still, the “Delete unused clones on record stop” option doesn’t seem to be working at all, which sucks as it would’ve been quite useful for my purposes. But this will certainly work for jam sessions without resetting the internal sequencer; thanks for your help :smiley: Maybe in the future a “Jam” mode like this could be implemented into vanilla renoise? Just a thought ^.^