It's Getting Harder To Impress Me With

I think we’ve almost reached a saturation point in graphics. When you look, even in movies you can still see things that just don’t look real, mainly because they’re still using a simple bitmap overlay on top of a vector-based item, being able to add more shininess to it, even a second or third luma layer can be added to look textured when close, but it’s still bitmap overlays on top of a vector/raytraced-based graphic to make the texture of something. The amount that goes into making each vector-based item/person/thing becomes more each time, every year.

Then there’s lens properties and the imperfections of lenses that never gets emulated. It’s always a impossibly perfect lens, and usually things that are close and things that are far are always in focus, unlike a real camera in real life. That’s even a giveaway of something being computer animated in a movie–the focus points between the real things and the computer generated things don’t quite match up–the computer part always looks either clearer or blurrier. I bet as soon as they get that down for moviemaking, it will start to be applied in games as well and will become a part of all new graphics engines.

Did anyone ever see “The Gate to the Mind’s Eye”? It was a compilation of several animators, most of them somewhat clipped together but some were fully intact, with Thomas Dolby doing the soundtrack. There was one in the last 1/4 of it (I had the laserdisc of it) that consisted mostly of animations of space stations (ones that create gravity through rotation), giant rotating space greenhouses, and a number of other things–graphics that could be done easily in a game now.

The more time goes on the more it becomes apparant that the reason why nothing seems impressive is because we’re actually doing the same things with graphics, over and over again. Yeay, we can do it just a little bit better every year… but it’s still doing the same thing with them.

In the 80’s, video games were new, and some really abstract game concepts were being put out left and right. (some of the best music was on a C64 simply because they had all these physical limits and they wanted to push those limits as much as they could) Well in gaming, people have lost that desire to make something new because they have no reason to push the limits except in “realism”. People have gotten George Lucas syndrome! They’ll say things like, “If we had the technology we have now back in the 80’s, we would have made much better games. They were so archaic.” instead of looking at them for some of the strange quirky abstract elements that they had. People don’t do that sort of thing with games anymore.

Most games used to be based on “Hey, we found this cool-looking thingy when we do THIS in assembler. I wonder if we can make it do this. Cool. Hey, what if we do THIS. Hey, we could probably make a game from that, wouldn’t it be cool, we could…etc.etc…”

Now it’s all “been there, done that.”

But we haven’t been there, we haven’t done that. There are many ways we can use the limitations of gaming engines to make a game from. There are many things we can do with the graphics engines we already have that could seem like something completely different.

Why aren’t games messing with alternate gravity fields? Alternate surfaces and alternate densities of air/water/gasses/materials? Games where you’re trying to do something before serious warpage occurrs. Physics that are not possible in this reality. More games that feature places that are bigger on the inside than the outside, and even might lead you back to the place where you entered the place that was bigger than it was on the outside (like the game Foresaken)–figuring out 3d mazes that have a lot of that type of phenomenon going on. There are just so many things we could be doing with the graphics engines we have. It makes me want to learn programming so much–I have so many ideas for game concepts that would probably blow people’s minds, and most aren’t even violent, though some of course are.

I guess I’m complaining about the gaming industry the way I complain about the music industry–but I guess what I complain about has happened with ALL of the entertainment industry, games, music, movies, even live theater.

There has to be an explosion coming soon–an explosion of ideas from all around. I think it’s people feeling less and less able to be expressive, and it’s showing in everything we’re doing. I don’t know, maybe it’s something different entirely, but something has to be causing it–it’s like a blockage, and when something dislodges the scenario it’s going to be messy free-flying creation everywhere. :) :)

Half Life 2 already has the technology for distance blur. In fact, you can play around with the exact distance in Garry’s Mod.

Man, the technology behind HL2 was really well developed.

“prey” touches several of your gravity and other assorted world physics warps and has some different spins on the norm…though at the end of the day still a first person shooter…

The C64 had mistakes that could be exploited in a way the designers at commodore never even expected this would be possible.
Because the C64 had even such surprises for it’s designers, it made the commy a very desired object to work with… unknown fields for exploration.

Why aren’t games messing with alternative gravity fields?
You want a new challenge in gaming? You might wanna try this game:
http://www.stalker-videogame.com/

30 square kilometres of The Zone (Chernobyl, Ukraine) with various surprising anomalies and landscapes that change all the time, strange zone monsters that do strange things to you or objects.

I liked Far-cry more due to its better AI design.
And because playing a 1st person shooter on an exotic island has this more attractive idea of actually enjoying the game’s surroundings rather than being afraid of it.

Because great game are about havin fun, not about great graphics :

http://www.konjak.org/chalk.htm

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

With regards to the depth of field issue, it’s been in several games already, but is really only effective in first person games where the player can control the focal point. Games such as the past two Tomb Raiders employ it, but it’s never worth turning on because it works so badly with the perspective the game uses. I’m pretty sure the distance blur in Garry’s mod is a simplistic effect put in by Garry himself and isn’t actually a feature of the official engine. Valve seem to have incorporated their own proper depth of field into the engine for the new batch of titles (TF2, HL2:EP2 & Portal) and that will no doubt be used in Gmod in the future.

Portal then brings us on to the physics thing. It was originally a game called Narbacular Drop, developed by some college kids as part of their course. If you’ve not seen Portal in action then you need to check it out, since it does a lot of what you’re talking about. The most obvious being the ‘infinite drop’, where a portal on the floor and another on the ceiling = you fall forever. Prey was already mentioned and it did some cool stuff with gravity, but I feel it didn’t built on it properly. It was merely brief sections between the shooting. Shame.

So I think it’s the indie/modding scene which will be giving us the most intersting stuff in the future, since, like the movie industry, the big software houses can’t afford to take risks with so much money invested in their products. There was a recent awards program showing off the best new indie talent, but unfortunately I can’t remember the name of it or the site, but there was a lot of nice concepts in there. One game which I do remember is Drawn To Be Alive, where you take control of a (literally) paper-boy and the gameplay fully exploits what it means to be a 2d character made of paper in a 3d world. Another which I played just yesterday was Flipside, where you take control of an escaped mental patient in a 2d/3d world and you can instantly switch between good/evil sides. There’s only one level built at the moment, but it’s a fun twist on the platformer theme. If you have Half Life 2 installed, you can play it by downloading from here: http://flipside.thegame.googlepages.com/download

As for the graphical realism race, I’d just say wait a while. Watching the trailer for Colin McRae’s Dirt, I can honestly say there are times when I can’t tell wether it’s real or a game, and that’s never happened before. I know it’s easier to make convincing cars than people, but I think we’re reaching a certain point where imagination and style will become more visually important. You can already see it in Team Fortress 2, where Valve have intentionally warped and exaggerated not only the characters, but the new features of their engine, in order to create something stylistically different. So if arguably the most successful PC game maufacturer of the moment is willing to take these risks visually, I think it’s safe to say more will follow.

Portal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWzmL05OlYA
Drawn To Be Alive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjozSRDeOws
Flipside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdFCVk1UX7M
Dirt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQgja0Vc70
Team Fortress 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaF638MBSAE

hahaha… my friend is playing this hardcore… hes getting very leet now… it looks so hard… which level did you reach?

It’s very easy to complete this game with some characters if you know what you are doing. I was like addicted to this game once. Never been addicted to fps game. Conclusion is pretty clear: they don’t have enough content.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=if3Qv2tHyfA

Also, i’m suprised no one has mentiones SPORE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA

I also recommend Stalker heavily. They got the atmosphere in that game perfect. Well, almost. Characters will keep repeating one line over and over in the Bar which gets annoying but that’s only a small detail :) There are some pretty scary monsters [that one who makes you zoom into his face] and sometimes you can see a Stalker with a guitar :D There’s a lot of details in this game that made me enjoy it very much.

A whole bunch of those games people linked to look pretty cool :)

That Stalker game looks interesting.

Spore also looks particularly interesting.

The kinds of things I’m talking about are—

Imagine an FPS taking place on a rotating space station (you have to be careful when shooting in the greenhouse due to the vacuum of space) and the gravity acts accordingly. Fighting in that area would be weird, you may have to shoot almost straight up to hit someone that’s also standing on the opposite side of the room. If the hull is breached you have to switch to a spacesuit and fight wearing that or perish.

A game where the areas consist of giant rotating rooms that the doors meet up differently at different times, and the gravity is dependent on what is below your character’s feet–so because of the way the rooms turn, what was the floor when you were in the room before could now be the wall. So you might end up shooting someone who is standing on a wall or the ceiling.

Games where the terrain is based on a 3d implemenation of a Mandelbrot or other similar fractal.

Games that try to simulate the strangeness of dreams–where the entire place you are standing could morph into somewhere completely different before your eyes, and just trying to figure out how the reality works is the object of the game. Items that you have to figure out what they do on your own–they don’t say what they are but do weird things like open walls like a zipper and such.

Games that use lots of hyperspace–areas that loop into themselves, infinite looping hallways, mazes that are almost impossible.

That flipside game looks pretty trippy. I’d love to play it, but I can’t seem to find a way to get the Source Engine without buying Half-Life–I’ve contacted Valve to see if there’s a way to just purchase a copy of the engine, but it’s doubtful…

It may work if you can download the content with a guestpass.
You can legally download a half-life game and play it for one day. At least you then have the source engine.
If you want one i can sent you one for Counter-strike source.

Watch Jurassic Park again, you’ll be surprised how good film effects really are, just remember how old that film is. In terms of film, they have technology to emulate any type of lens, including lens effects, flares, glow and dof. Lighting can be perfectly matched up with HDRI. In terms of film special effects there are almost no limits on what’s possible now.

I work in the games industry and make games for a living. Games are still far behind because of hardware limitations but a few dev studio’s are making some nice progress, take a look at the Unreal or Crysis engines for example. They simply don’t have to processing power to achieve film like results because they couldn’t render frames fast enough (Even at smaller HD or PAL/NTSC resolutions). Massive renderfarms could spend hours per frame for some film special effects. It’s only a matter of time I guess.

There are millions of other factors that come into this discussion though, like the man hours that are required to make assets for next generation hardware, much more complicated and high res models have to be produced for games now so that data can be ripped from them (normal maps/occlusion data)… it’s a much more time consuming and expensive process now.

“Imagine an FPS taking place on a rotating space station (you have to be careful when shooting in the greenhouse due to the vacuum of space) and the gravity acts accordingly. Fighting in that area would be weird, you may have to shoot almost straight up to hit someone that’s also standing on the opposite side of the room. If the hull is breached you have to switch to a spacesuit and fight wearing that or perish.”

A game where the areas consist of giant rotating rooms that the doors meet up differently at different times, and the gravity is dependent on what is below your character’s feet–so because of the way the rooms turn, what was the floor when you were in the room before could now be the wall. So you might end up shooting someone who is standing on a wall or the ceiling."

Yes that would be cool and very similar things has been done in Prey.

“Games where the terrain is based on a 3d implemenation of a Mandelbrot or other similar fractal.”

How? Do you mean that no matter how close you get it still looks good.
The idea has been here for a long time but it has not yet been implemented in a nice way in games as far as I know. Perhaps its to demanding on cpu.

“Games that try to simulate the strangeness of dreams–where the entire place you are standing could morph into somewhere completely different before your eyes, and just trying to figure out how the reality works is the object of the game. Items that you have to figure out what they do on your own–they don’t say what they are but do weird things like open walls like a zipper and such.”

What you are talking of could become frustrating like some adventure game puzzles to which there are no logic. Ofcourse if you created logic it could work but othervise there could ne a risc of players only getting frustrated by constantly running into to hard stuff.

Btw there is puzzle games in which you don’t know what to do.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/253435

The second level is really cool, but you have to have sound on to solve it.

man. have you seen the dev videos for Project Offset?
it really looks brilliant…
i dont get into the fantasy type games, (i like the sci fi stuff) but that game is going to be very beautiful!
http://www.projectoffset.com/

how about the transformer film, i saw some breathtaking cg in a relatively long preview

I really enjoy Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell series.

That’s right, and I’m not defending bad adventure puzzles, but, and that’s a big but: trying to avoid frustration and catering to the biggest audiences possible to me seems to be what destroyed gaming.

To me, gaming kinda died with ETF (so I’m forced to do more productive things, which isn’t so bad after all…)

Amiga FTW :yeah:

Never heard of that one before, but it’s looking great!