Key tracker: possible to trigger note off?

I need to trigger a LFO reset on note off, is it possible with the key tracker, or combination of meta devices?

cheers

I don’t think there’s a way to directly track a note-off - definitely a nice idea for the key-tracker.

But I can think of a workaround: you could always sequence a “dummy instrument” and track that as well. So every time you need the LFO to do something, enter a dummynote. If you need both note-on/note-off tracking, you could combine their signals using a meta-mixer which in turn is connected to the LFO device.

That approach will work fine when composing, although for realtime/live playback it won’t help you so much.

That’s a good work around, true.

Fyi I was looking to setup pseudo modulation in the sampler effects lane - to create a series modulation chain - by mimicking an ADSR env with two custom lfos, so that when the key was released, I could trigger the ‘release’ lfo that controlled the cutoff for an end chain filter. I would have to do this polyphonically for each sample, i.e. have a chain dedicated for each sample, which would get quite expensive quickly.

To be honest I think it’s not such a problem to just use one LFO in one shot mode for now. Hopefully we have something like sample groups in the pipeline that will do this quite neatly :wink:

I would have to do this polyphonically for each sample, i.e. have a chain dedicated for each sample, which would get quite expensive quickly.

Yes, but not that expensive. Renoise DSPs are pretty light on the CPU. It’s an interesting idea, but I’m not sure how to make each sample actually process independently.

For example, imagine the simple case where you hit the same note multiple times? The only way I could see this triggering the same sample would be by cycling through a bunch of stacked samples. Even then, as you cycle through them, with a bit of a release stage, the first one might still be playing as you’ve gone full circle (cycle?). Perhaps useful in very specific cases but otherwise not.

Still, I often use both polyphonic modulation and monophonic sample effects in my instruments. And I think regular effects are great - they often do a better job at encapsulating, framing the sound somehow…

I was just trying to do this same thing, and came across this thread. I figured out something with the signal follower to do what I want. I don’t know if it will help you or not, because maybe you’re trying to trigger it on a specific note off. Me, I’m just trying to toggle an LFO – enable the LFO while the note is on, and disable it when it’s off. I haven’t seen this technique before. Here’s what I did:

1. Make a “trigger” sample – use “create sample”, set the length to 1, and draw something above the line. Set it to loop forward
  2. Add a Signal Follower with Attack / Release / Sensitivity to 0, and route it to the LFO’s Active / Bypassed
  3. Add a “mute” Gainer to the end of this chain, setting gain to -Inf
  4. Route the “trigger” sample through this chain

The trigger sample now acts as a toggle for the LFO.

I’ve attached an example project that shows this technique. It sets up two triggered filter envelopes in a single instrument. That’s something that I’ve wanted to do for a long time, have a sample-based instrument with multiple key-based filter envelopes.

7833 signal-follower-toggle.xrns

I am definitely going to explore this technique more. I wanted to see Renoise’s limit with number of samples and chains. I added over 300 of each before giving up. If you reserve a single octave for trigger samples, you can have 1524 triggers!!! (12 notes * 127 velocity levels)