Last Minute Recommendations/advice Anyone?

Alright!! The damage is done! Here’s what I ended up with…

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 +best CPU cooling package offered
Motherboard: Intel DG35ECB; 8GB DDR2 800MHz dual channel +mem.heat spreaders
(using onboard graphics, which look decent enough- no vid at all card-less noise and heat)
500GB SATA II U300 7200RPM Hard Drive (x2)
Samsung - 20x Lightscribe Double Layer DVD+/-RW
Echo Star 680 Watt Power Supply
iMicro 15 LCD Monitor - 1024 x 768
Firewire card
keyboard/mouse
Windows XP Pro 32bit
3 yr warranty
Yeah, it was around 1500, but was able to have them burn, build and test it into a generic case and ship it out within 3 buis.days. Not too bad…

Didn’t go with the RAID and didn’t get a better choice of Brand for power source because it was not only not offered through the deal I went for (although I did have a pretty decent selection of components to go with), I really wanted this thing built and tested-w/Windows XP pro installed and all for the price offered

Step 2, I went ahead with the cash I saved doing it this way and went with a super sexy 19"rack-mount case to put it all in- gonna mod it up a bit too. Also got nice small rack stand and an Echo Audiofire 8- (firewire) for sound… ahh extra quiet case fans, rubber mounting stuff/gaskets/etc, nicer cabling…

This machine should be rocking!! I only hope Renoise is able to work ok with it all…everything I’ve read seems to tell me so. Thanks all for the help!! I almost got stuck with a way more expensive computer with way less bells and whistles! Keith 303, thanks also for your offer…I thought LONG and hard about it but really wanted the all the warranty action, slightly different specs, built/tested, monitor…the extras…etc

Should be rocking R2.0 hopefully soon!! :)

hope you’re aware of the fact that a 32bit OS is merely capable to address 4GB, whereas about 0,5-1,0 GB of the address room are used for utilizing other hardware in your computer?
so you’ll end up with a usuable amount of 3,0 - 3,5 GB of RAM.

way too much power for way too little load.
the result is a low degree of efficiency, which again results in high power dissipation. but that’s only important if you care about such economical aspects.

buying a 15" display in 2008 is pretty unusual for a desktop system.
does the choice of size have a special reason?
it’s not that renoise won’t work on that resolution, but well… the interface will look pretty squeezed.

price/performance isn’t really better than with your initially posted system, but hey… it’s your money ;)

yeah, you really should be using 64-bit XP/Vista because 32-bit XP cannot use more than 3GB of RAM and for 32-bit Vista, 4GB.

You can always install Linux and give up on Windows? And all your plug-ins? And free time?

But for real, a lot of people are turning to Linux, both Renoise your ram would work with it.

Wow, taking the opportunity I should say that Abelcain’s “Pantheon Of Fiends” is one of my favourite records (despite I’m not a breakcore geek)! Truly a gem of genre and beyond, man, need more! :)

My 2 cents: I recently bought a PC setup specially for Renoise, and I chose a 20" wide-screen Acer monitor. Thanks for Renoise’s vertical timeline, it allowed me to see more tracks at a time! So helpful to creative process!

Don’t worry about performance, my setup has less RAM than yours, but I forgot about CPU load!

I want to put together a desktop, 100% dedicated to music production. This is the setup I made:

HPHI55 Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9550

TQXJ04 Cage MS-TECH LC-05

CEBN20 DVD-Burner Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200S

GPIG25 Motherboard GigaByte GA-EG43M-S2H

A9BU28 Harddisks (SATA) Samsung HD642JJ

ICIE86 Memory GeiL 4 GB DDR2-800 Kit

ICIE86 Memory GeiL 4 GB DDR2-800 Kit

Price: approx. 650 euros

I would like to try Windows Vista 64bit as OS. Most of the plugins I use seem to be working stable in 64 so I want to take the chance.

It would be much appreciated if you guys would like to weigh in your opinion about the setup I made.

Thanks in advance!