Lfo Start Value

i´m satisfied with the LFO, too.
but i can understand that in some situations a synced lfo speed would be nice, also for use it live on stage.

I also think the LFO system is brilliant. Nesting LFOs as dBlue described, and coupled with hydra can create some really awesome possibilities. The one thing I found handy was to set 8 evenly spaced points in the first LFO using a custom envelope as 1,2,4,8,16 (or other multiples if you fancy). Set this LFO speed to the slowest value, and you can then just call the points using pattern commands. My only niggle is that the custom envelope editor is tiny which makes this a very fiddly job, or am I missing something that would make life any easier? I remember being able to cut & paste from the old instrument envelope…

Still can but remember 1 line now equates to 256 points in the LFO.

nice one - shame it’s still a little fiddly though…

Not sure if this is correct behaviour or not, but I’m not sure if LFO is actually resetting properly… I’ll try to explain:

Load a bass sample (around 3-4 seconds long)

Insert LFOdevice, and assign it to something like a Distortion drive, or filter cutoff. Increase the LFO’s amplitude too and set frequency to 1 LPC…(just to hear it easily).

Now on track one, first insert a note instance and put two pattern commands 1f00 on line 00, and 1f01 on the 4th line to switch the LFO on/off.

Insert a LFO reset on line 00 too (after adding another effect column)

If you play back the first few lines so the LFO starts off, then on the LFO doesn’t go back to the reset position once replayed from the start. I know that the LFO is switched off at the same time the reset command is sent, but should the reset still function? At the moment it stays in the position it was in when previously stopped… would be handy if this was implemented and I like switching LFOs off/on :)

Your instructions are quite clear, but it would be better to simply upload an example .XRNS
Please do so :)

Well clicking in the GUI with LFO Off does not Reset it either.

Turning it Off appears to Reset Custom Waveforms to Start but any of the default shapes (Sine etc) it pauses.

As all other automation seems to work with the LFO Off it makes sense the Reset should too (and I guess also Custom pauses rather than resets on an Off/On)…

The problem with pattern commands and LFO frequencies is that there are no commands for a clean 2.000 LPC, 4.00 LPC, 8.00 LPC and so on.
It’s pretty close though so it’n not likely to become a problem.

Yeah, I remember bringing that up in another topic, would be handy, but in order to be absolutely correct, it had to be slightly off those values. Like I say, making a ‘permanently paused’ LFO custom envelope of those values in points assigned to the next LFO’s LPC is one workaround as you can call the reset value to any point in that envelope.
As for the reset functionality - would be very useful if this could be implememnted :)

No, there are two ways around that.

1. Use Automation Ponts.

2. Set up a second LFO with very low rate, have it so it triggers the primary level to be the desired number of cycles then use Reset commands to access correct portion of this LFO.

Yes i saw that in dblue’s file, but it would have been nice if you could do that with one LFO and pattern commands, though i know i’m beeing picky and it will probably have some side effects or something anyway. :D

The LFO does actually get reset, even though the GUI does not reflect the change until you turn the LFO back on again.

Turning the LFO off will pause it, and turning it back on again will resume from the last known position, regardless of which mode you’re in. The exception to the rule is if you reset the LFO before you turn it back on again, where it will of course start from the new position you reset it to.

When using a custom envelope, turning the LFO off will cause the envelope position marker in the GUI to reset back to the first point, but this is purely a visual quirk. When you turn the LFO back on you’ll see that the position marker immediately jumps back to the correct position.

Here’s an example which demonstrates the pause behaviour working in sine and custom mode: (2.7 RC1 .XRNS)
renoise-lfo-on-off.xrns

You can automate the reset all you want, but it simply won’t take effect until you turn the LFO back on anyway, so I don’t think the behaviour would change at all. Perhaps it could be nice to see the reset reflected in the LFO’s GUI, though, just so you know that something actually happened.

As usual dBlue is correct on all accounts and after taking the GUI quirks into account the x700 command while the LFO is Off appears to Reset correctly too. Can The Bellows show illustration of it not actually working, taking dBlues points above into consideration?

There is still what I consider strange behaviour with the One Shot Custom mode, where it freezes at the last point and does not allow you to change the parameter it is assigned to after finishing its single cycle without turning the LFO Off. But that is a separate point and has already been requested changed as a feature…

Hi, thanks for the reply dBlue. I kind of mis-wrote what I meant to you :s

What I meant was when actually resetting the LFO whilst it is off (with x7xx), it doesn’t start at the desired position.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JISKNKM4

This links to a xrns which I hope will explain what I’m getting at (sorry can’t attach it for some reason). Play it past line 04, then space, space to start it again, and you’ll notice the LFO doesn’t start at the beginning, just from where it was previously paused even though 1700 is there…

[s]
“The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.”

If you prefer, you can send the file to support at renoise dot com and I’ll get it there.[/s]

Edit: Link is working now.

It most definitely is Resetting when Off here! WinXP SP3 2.7RC1.

Even if you Reset on a different Line while it is Off. As it’s Off it will be Paused though, so when you turn it On it will start from your Reset position, not wherever it would of got to in the time while it was Off.

Have checked with Reset position 00 and 40 and both work as expected.

Downloading your example now.

(Sorry I looked at my wrong reply and asked from person for an example.)

OK in your emaple if I use F9 to jump to first line it always sounds the same. Resetting is correct.

If I Stop and Start with Space Bar it sound different. I think this is more related to the Skipping First Line bug Renoise has had some problems with but I may be wrong…

See dBlue’s and my lower post explaining why (minus the fact F9 behaves different. Stop/Start is what I would think is expected behaviour.)

Ok, yeah, I see what you’re getting at, but the LFO is actually doing its job normally here.

When you reset the LFO and turn it off at the exact same moment, then the LFO simply doesn’t get a chance to send a new value to the parameter it’s controlling. It will remain at whatever value was being output at the moment you turned if off.

In your example, when you restart the pattern by hand your timing is never going to be 100% perfect every time, so sometimes you might restart it when the Drive parameter was last LFO’d to a high value, other times you might restart when it was last LFO’d to a low value. This is why you’re experiencing some variation in the sound when you restart the pattern. (The same will be true if your LFO frequency does not wrap precisely at pattern boundaries)

When you do turn the LFO back on again at line 04, you’ll notice that the output after that point is actually identical every time.

So all you have to do here is set your Drive parameter to a desired base value on the first pattern line.

Here’s a quick updated example:
LFOResetQuery-edit.xrns

Even though I’m setting the Drive parameter to different values each time the LFO is turned off, you’ll notice that the output is always the same once the LFO has been turned back on again. The LFO takes over at that point and produces the same modulations each time.

EDIT: (Not as dBlue got in inbetween.)

Your first command is a LFO Off, which freezes it at current position. This is going to be different every time you stop the song!!

No bug here! Try using a low LFO speed and look at what actually happens :P

Can’t explain why using F9 doesn’t also keep last value the LFO was at though…

Ok, thanks for taking the time to explain I can see what you’re getting at now and the behaviour makes perfect sense. Sorry for the kerfuffle and derailing this topic! I’ll use the method you explained ;)

p.s. F9 does behave how I expected which is kind of handy but possibly inconsistent?

Thanks for the replies folks. I used reset at the start of each pattern and it seems to have worked!

Think I’ve solved the F9 quandary.

You have LPC set to 1. Seems F9 always operates at the change of a Line, therefore the value is always the same as it is the end of a complete cycle.

Set LPC to something larger like 8 or 16 and you will see you can get different values at start when pressing F9.

Stop using Space Bar must try up an instant Stop message, whether it’s the end of a Line or not, thus always getting different values.