Linux: How To Use Native Windows Vsts

Exactly like with closed source then, for example take a look at all those other closed source trackers that nowadays are abandoned (Aodix, Buzz, Octamed, MadTracker, Skale, FastTracker etc). If they where released under open source before they where abandoned they would have maybe lived on… but now most of them are dead forever as long as the developers doesn’t choose to do anything radical. Well, to be honest, it time to break this silly myth, together with the myth that you can not earn money on open source software…

dssi-vsti released a new update as soon as a month ago with native VST-compatible headers, which makes it possible to distribute it without the official VST SDK and under a pure GPL-license. So the best thing would be if renoise gets dssi-support in a later version (which sounds like something that maybe will come if you read this thread). Then you maybe can run Windows VSTi:s directly from Renoise for Linux just like any other plugin ;)

Amen.

And back to topic: +1 for DSSI support to simplify using native Windows VSTs in Renoise :)

yup, dssi-support++ :]

How-to to install FST on Ubuntu Studio (you need this since the documentation of the original fst and lash supplies you nothing but a nervous breakdown but no results):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=557466

Lash can be installed by using the default package manager (add/remove applications)

The “#Line-In Device” way is (imho) a far better way, it gives you complete control over the vst’s sound/volume/pan/effects (with automation :dribble: !!) etc… just like any plugin. By connecting the VST directly into the soundcard it will sound “outside the mix” :( and if you want to add (for example) some “nice&slight-delay” to your VST, what are you going to do ? Launch Jack-Rack ? :P

So : “Actually you should use the mixer…” ;)

Anyway, thanks for this How-To, it is clear and simple. applause :)

(Sorry for language mistakes, I live in the country of frogs&fries.)

Got it to work! :D
kind of extra useless since it doesn’t integrate the same way as native vsts D;

I’m subscribed to a announcment mailing list and saw this:

dssi-vst is an adapter that allows users of Linux audio software to take VST and VSTi audio effects and instrument plugins compiled for Windows, and load them into native LADSPA or DSSI plugin hosts.

http://www.breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

I’ve just updated the initial post with some additional info about dssi-vst and rendering/freezing tracks.

Thank you all for your nice comments and for pointing out alternatives.
Highly appreciated. :)

MarvelousMarvin

Hello I tried your tutorial and I have a problem. I have done everything step by step. Now I execure my dll and see a screen of a vsti as I can see it on Windows. But the point is that I can’t see my plugin in Jack controls in Readable Clients / Output ports. Don’t know how to configure MIDI in Renoise, so I configured it like this: In Device A: My plugin dll (was Renoise MIDI Input Port A). Audio settings in Renoise is Jack. Can you recognize where is my problem ? Or do you need more informations ? I have the latest wine and the latest fst, Linux version is Ubuntu 9.04.

Thank you very much.

I got some errors executing through fst : cannot lock down memory for RT thread (cannot allocate memory) and jack_client_thread zombified. Maybe this is that problem, I have. I have read about zombifiing but can’t remember where.

@syner:
This is most propably a jack problem. Try starting the jack server without the realtime option. To be able to run jack in realtime mode, you have to jump through some hoops.
But let’s just try if this really is the problem before we do anything else. :)

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I disabled realtime mode and switched on no memory lock. Now my plugin called SUPERWAVE P8 started to play in renoise. But delay in that plugin is confused, no midi sync, long delay time. That’s a pitty, that now I can’t use renoise native plugin - I know the reason, that it is through midi and it doesn’t run through renoise audio system. I look forward for a tutorial for dssi-vst wrapper. I tried it a little bit and for now I have problem with make install it. Compiled, but when I typed make install I got some errors, which I posted on a dssi-vst developer’s forum. After all I am glad, that I can run Win vst mostly native on Linux Renoise.

Have a good time !

But how can you use it in Renoise ? Renoise can’t recognize LADSPA header - if is it an effect plugin or an instrument, all effect plugins and instruments are in effect section. How can you use dssi, if Renoise Linux version doesn’t have dssi support ?

I found a system how to use native renoise effect plugins with fst loaded vsti. You just have to connect your dll plugin in jack not to system audio but to a renoise. First make a settings in preferences in renoise 4 channels or more. Then choose a line in device in renoise and choose Input 02 L+R. In jack connect a source output of your plugin dll to a renoise’s new source input channels. In renoise just set a midi instrument - your dll plugin and you can add a variety of renoise native effect plugin on that track. Works fine.

2nd thing is that if I use lash_panel and save a project, I don’t know how it works, when I try to load a saved project, it does nothing…

Yeah. That’s what I meant when writing

Did you try to run a persistent wine server?

Greetings,
Marv

ahhh i need a .deb package for linux mint 6,i cant get my internet working on linux.so does anyone have it?

i went to the jack website,but you need to use the linux distributions package manager to get the .deb files.

and i dont have a glue how you compile it yourself

could someone help me out??

yaay i managed to get this to “work” :)

thanks marvin !

That’s great. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Maybe it was said earlier in the topic, but with routing audio trough JACK, you can always open a Renoise executable for Windows in Wine. Use it as a Windows-VST host, and connect the audio output of it to audio input of Renoise for Linux.

This way you can launch some plugins that may not open with FST (Festige). Maybe some of them won’t work even this way, but it’s pretty useful.

Also using Wine when running for example NI Massive as a stand-alone application is not that bad. It pickups great my MIDI-keyboard, and it can be BPM-synchronized through Renoise MIDI Sync. Not that bad for an emulation hehe.

Hello, I’m new to Renoise but I already know that I’m going to spend loads of time with it :)

I’m trying to use a Windows VST with Festige but can’t figure out how to load it in Renoise, I can simply don’t understand how to make it appear in the instruments list.
The VST is correctly launched with Festige though.

Can someone please help me?

Cheers
Ben