Linux Pulseaudio Support

Ubuntu 9.10 seems to be a good version…
Didn’t try it with a RT-Kernel.

I’m still on 7.10 too… ;)
And on 64studio based Debian/Etch…

I have just installed a fresh new AVLinux2-rc2 based on Debian/Lenny, removed LXDE and GDM , installed ICWM window manager, put my own compiled 2.6.26-rt11 kernel…tweaked my IRQ…desactived ACPI and many services, changed my fan, and now it runs so good!!!

:walkman:

Does it work when routing pulseaudio through jack, following the suggestions from Johan Ekenberg above? That wouldn’t work for me on 9.10 without RT kernel.

I’m sorry for bringing such an oldie back to life but I was wondering if there’s still no plans for PA support?

I’ve been running Renoise for about 2 years now and I love it. However my computer recently crashed and I brought my old laptop back online, thinking I would use it in the meantime until I get another more stable build. On my old computer I’ve been running a pretty tight jack-build, however since it took quite a while to get it configured right I thought that maybe I would scrap the whole thing. Then I noticed that Renoise doesn’t have support for the native sound server(Pulse Audio) in Ubuntu(which I use) and that kinda messes everything up.

My computer isn’t built for running several sound servers at once and basically the only thing I’d use jack for is Renoise which I have to have. Besides, I think PA’s getting a lot of bashing for nothing, It’s been working out of the box for me on every other computer I’ve tried it on since Ubuntu 9.04 or something(only problem I’ve had with it was on my last computer when I tried to remove it in order to get jack working properly).

As someone’s already mentioned, since PA comes with the system, is practically built in and a lot of people here seem to use Ubuntu I’d think there would be a pretty good reason for including support for it in Renoise, or is it very much of a trouble?

Don’t use Linux myself, but I wonder how long Pulse Audio will last before the next thing will surface. I remember hearing about Jack years ago, and now it is already obsolete?

I wouldn’t say it’s obsolete, many still use jack and there’s definitively a purpose for jack but for some reason Ubuntu’s been moving forward with Pulse audio and it’s not a bad thing, PA’s been around for a long time to and I think it’s pretty good. The problem is that Ubuntu’s been incorporating PA in the system, kinda like Windows and OS X works and although I wouldn’t say that it’s a bad thing, it’s just that it poses some problems.

When you for instance want to use another sound server it can be a bit tricky to get it to ignore PA’s ins and outs and route the sound to where you want it. However, since there’s no real problem with using PA, since almost everything supports it, the only problem for me and I suppose others is that Renoise doesn’t.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good that there’s support for jack but with PA support Renoise would work from the start in a standard Ubuntu build(which I think is what most Linux users use) and that would simplify things a lot. Imo there’s not a lot of good DAWs on Linux yet besides from Renoise, if there’s not too much trouble adding PA support I think the Renoise community would grow from it.

+1 for pulseaudio renoise linux support.

+1 as an addition

pulse audio sucks donkey balls for audio. Jack is more or less the defacto standard for linux pro-audio application developers and there’s good reason for it. re-read the first sentence.

The fact that the various linux use pulse for it’s system sounds are all the more reason why you should use JACK for your pro-audio applications.

Still, if you want “pulse audio support” whatever that means to you – look into KXStudio - falkTX has done an amazing job integrating both pulse and jack for simultaneous interplay and routing. you can put kx ontop of arch, debian, ubuntu, whatever your heart desires. It’s very easy for instance to open a youtube video, route the youtube video’s pulse process ID to your jack inputs using patchage, or any other ladish frontend (I prefer falkTX’s claudia) and sample (or monitor, or route in anyway) anything coming out of pulse. I do this within renoise to grab movie samples etc from youtube etc.

JACK vs. PulseAudio is like ASIO vs DirectSound in Windows. ASIO is obsolete for typical user in the same way as JACK is. For audio user it is not.