Linux + Renoise Session Are Just Fantastic

:w00t: :drummer:
Man, what I want to say is I can’t catch my breath since I found out that Linux can actually give Renoise TOTAL RESOURCE POWER of my computer, enabling a stand-alone session! It’s literally the old dream of having Renoise as an operating system came true.
(I could never dream of something like this in my winXP days. )

Man, this stuff rocks. Ubuntu Studio changed my life. First the liberation from viruses, malware and crapware, and now this. Simply awesome, man. Way to go Renoise team, and Linux community. :yeah:

Thanks to the ultra-hot Linux FAQ for the info.

Cheers everybody.

Welcome to the wonderful world of linux. Enjoy your freedom. You’ll never look back. :guitar:

Been using linux for many-many years. And I often look back. VST plugins is one thing which makes me look back. But looking the rest of it (been using windows for over a year as secondary OS), I don’t want it. It only makes me wonder how to get this stuff working in my OS. And it’s all possible, just needs some work, and IMHO it’s worth it. :)

Yea, VST are cool and stuff, but that thing - the Renoise standalone session - is something seriously cool.

I was always ready to give all my VST’s away for a feature like this. It’s like when you devote ALL your system resource to one app! Incredible.

Besides, I’m kinda tired of VST’s. I try to stick to minimum synth, maximum hand-playing instuments and some crazy random samples.

I’m thinking of going Linux on this old computer, but I have a little question before making the switch :
This computer doesn’t have a regular sound card, I use an M-Audio Fasttrack pro for audio in/out and midi in/out. Will this be compatible with Linux?

I want to convert an old computer as well, but wonder what the absolute minimal pc specs are to run linux (& renoise :slight_smile: ).

Could I install a linux version on a PIII 667hz with something like 512 mb ram ???

grts

Rico

as long as your CPU supports SSE instructions, and P3 should, I think it’s fine to do it, as I’ve used Renoise1.5 on my old laptop, a P2 Celeron 766 with 192MB RAM under both Windows 98 and 2000. on Linux could just be better.

Gaeel: Check the ALSA main page to see if that sound card is supported.
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

jonas the plugexpert: Eh, the processor would be a bit low for Ubuntu - it would run, but it wouldn’t do well. Xubuntu would be happy on it. Xubuntu doesn’t have a lot of the autoconfig Ubuntu does, but you can always google “Xubuntu 8.xx (problem here)” and get a commandline to copy and paste into terminal window.

Of course Puppy Linux would be blazing fast on that computer. :P

You can install fluxbox as the window manager and stuff. Gnome takes quite some resources.

0l3ks4 is talking about bypassing gnome or fluxbox or any other window manager, by creating a X session with only Renoise running. You can do this with any distro. Quoting http://tutorials.renoise.com/Renoise/SettingUpLinux:

Well, if you need VST’s that badly, attach a Windows PC with VST plugins to your lan and then use MIDI2Net to attach your VST plugins to your Liunx Renoise session.

hmm… makes me think. This should work with a windows instance running in a virtual machine on the same system. Not that I’d need that (I never used a lot VSTs… ), but this tickles my nerdy “I have to try this” nerve. ^^

get rid of the Linux hassle by running two Windows virtual machines through Wine and connect them together via MIDI2Net :)