Little Glitch At The Beginning Of This MIDI file

Renoise plays the attached midi file with a glitch at the very beginning of the music (3rd and 4th track rows, when a rapid interchange of notes takes place). The rest of the music plays nice. Its easier to spot the glitch using piano samples than using standard soundcard wavesynth. I have tested it in Winamp, Sonar and Finale too, where it is played perfectly from the beginning.

*I could not attach the midi file, so heres an external link to it: http://rapidshare.com/files/80267277/bach.mid.html

This is hard to avoid. How good the MIDI import works, depends on the Pattern Line resolution (Speed) that is used for the import. Try changing the import Speed from 6 to 3 in Renoises Import/Export MIDI preferences pane and it will sound much better.

We could also create a lot more note columns to get the import more detailed, but more note columns at the same speed will result in lost velocity commands (as the note delay/cuts are placed on top of them).

I didn’t understand this. Could you elucidate better?

More notecolumns means that you will have a higher note-integrity and smaller timing steps between notes on the same row. (C-4 01 D1 F2 D-4 D3 F4 F-4 D5 F6 means that C, D and F would be rapidly arpeggiated on the same row without playing at the same time)
But because this is performed by delay commands in the vol/pan column and cut commands in the same columns, this means that the volume for the note gets discarded specially when a note-delay and a note-cut gets applied on the same note.

C-4 01 D2 F4 would wait 1 tick before it starts (being started on tick 2) but only lasts 2 ticks before it ends (being cut on tick 4). If the note would have a velocity or volume of 40, this value gets lost because both effect columns are occupied with an effect.