'live' Pattern-change Behaviour

We’ll come up with something :slight_smile:

Edit: how about this - when the magic button/shortcut is pressed, the thick outline that highlights the current position becomes dotted.
Once it’s dotted, we can freely move back and fourth within the pattern sequence without causing changes to the playback position.
It will stay dotted, until the currently playing pattern reach it’s end, and then, the position at which our dotted outline is at, will start playing, and normal behaviour resumes.

So, instead of being a permanent toggle/switch, it could be thought of as a ‘temporary mode’…

BAM! Beauty.

I intend to use graphics as means of persuation as well :slight_smile:

Well make sure it’s simple, like the original poster stated. A live mode can be worked on for later versions, but for 2.0 something simple can be done.

In Bantai’s example, i would even change underline to yellow. So you have

• Green: Playing
  • Yellow: Next
  • Red (Orange): Not in queue.

Like traffic lights.

And if you need to loop stuff you can use the little “loop boxes” to the left of it.

Furthermore, i’d leave it on in follow mode too. If you’re not changing the yellow box on your own, then it will just move automatically, so it won’t affect anything, and look a bit like a “gradient fade” (green → yellow → orange)

+1 from me, as this would allow “offline editing” while playing

Well, I’m very much opposed to using colors, for a number of reasons:

• Colors could indicate different parts of a song in a future version of Renoise
  • Shades are already being used (check out “seq.highlights” in song settings)

So instead, I came up with the following (sry for the dark color-scheme)

Note that insert/clone icons are getting dangerously close, and might need a rework.

You guys, you guys! All great elaborations; Bantai/danoise, that seems like a great visual indicator of what’s going on. Milkytracker currently doesn’t reflect anything in the sequence list (although it was proposed, by means of some flashing gifs I drew up) so it’s a little haphazard…although fine for me. The pattern changes to the target pattern, without follow, until it starts playing/following…if that makes sense.

This dotted-line thing is great. I’d envisaged this being a keyshortcut-operated thing, but yeah - mouse-operated is cool too. Even if you make a mistake with the mouse, you can probably rectify it before the pattern-change :)

+1 Holds back live use at the moment.

I like Bantai’s idea. The picture really shows how simple the overview will be.
danoise however, said the coloring is a bad idea for very good reasons.

So I would like to point out again on Bantai’s suggestion of pulsating.
The number in the patternbox that comes next can pulsate.
looks more elegant than an underline, and easy to see which track should be ready because it looks alarming.

Bantai said:

Having the status of Follow controlling the playback type (which I think is what you suggest) means you can’t retain your follow mode preference while using the ‘live’ behaviour… Milkytracker works the other way around - Follow status is dictated by the behaviour, i.e. the currently playing pattern (as long as it’s currently being displayed on screen) follows, if Follow Mode is enabled overall, but when a non-playing pattern is being viewed, Follow Mode is obviously disabled.

Bantai - please forgive me if I’ve misinterpreted, stated the obvious or just picked up on a semantic issue where none exists! I can’t actually remember how Modplug does it, because once Milky appeared, I never had to open up Modplug again :P

I think we largely agree, though. And yes, I like the pulsating patternbox idea - it’s very in keeping with the concept of a ‘live’ mode. Keep up the constructive input, guys!

+1 that would be a great feature!

Yeah, let’s clarify.

Lightbomb: you mean that follow mode is equal to the current pattern sequence behavior, and having it disabled will allow free movement through patterns (without affecting playback position). If so, we’re talking about the same thing.

Bantai, you want to be able to “schedule” a specific pattern (by means of alt-clicking)? I see this as an additional feature, the 2, 4 and 5 order kind of confused me.

So, if all of these ideas were rolled into one, we would have follow mode turned on by default. Alt-clicking a pattern in the sequence would make it flash, to indicate that it had been scheduled for playback.
Turning follow mode off would cause the dotted line thing to appear, allowing free pattern roaming/editing, until it got turned back on again, at which point the flashing would start (instead of the crawling outline thingy) for the currently active pattern.

+1 for some kind of simple and temporary live solution, yes!!
will soon be playing live, this would be perfect for me as well.

and what i’d REALLY like is if triggering patterns back and forth could be done also without
using a mouse, gives a better feel while playing live and looks better too, imho :) customable
shortcuts would be superior.

I like the idea. Actually I dont really care about the live mode, but I would love to be able to edit one pattern while playing back another.

+1 solid concept

please, together with:

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?s=&…st&p=134358

(Option D)

green or whatever, asynchronous pattern edit rules!!!

Have really not thought about the actual implementation but how about (ability) to separate patterns and playlist/play queue all together? So it would be possible to queue patterns/pattern sequences into playlist and scroll through and edit others? Maybe some way to group pattern sequences and queue them as an unit? With ability to use separate outputs? Wouldn’t this be really good for live usage?

Just a throw in the air, needs much more thinking, but as an idea appeals to me.

Decoupled play/edit cursor is a different feature than the subject of this topic. It will have massive development impact and since it is not a beta related idea/suggestion/question, perhaps we should discuss it further in http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…hl=asynchronous @ the ideas and suggestions forum.

Yes, sorry didn’t mean to spam. Seems just like a workaround for bigger conceptual problem.

I agree: we all look forward to the revolutionary sequence-related concepts/implementations that are surely just around the corner ( ;) ) but the aim of my having resurrected this minor request is that live-performing Renoise users might have something to whet their appetite in the meantime.

I also think it would be a good way to kickstart debate about a fully-fleged live mode - all sorts of things will occur to people on stage, using a this small feature, that might never have occurred to them in the studio and while posting on this forum :)

Denim - I use a mouse only when absolutely necessary, so I had keyboard shortcuts in mind when I made the original post. In Milky, when live mode is enabled, patterns are browsed with shift+left/right, so in Renoise I’d assume it would be ctrl+up/down. But I think that sort of functionality is implicit and would be inherited from current behaviour, since all this feature would practically do is arrange the playback order and postpone the pattern-switch.