Live Playlist

in OctaMED we had a more complex sequencer system … a octamed file had the possibility to contain different Songs, different pattern sequences, and of course single patterns … the future was yesterday. :D

i think it wouldn’t be worth the trouble to implement loading and fading in/out of .rns modules on the fly. you’d have to keep all the old VSTis, effects and samples loaded separately while you load and initialize the new ones, then kill the old ones once the new track has faded in. i don’t think that would be feasible with any but the most powerful CPUs.

i disagree with the sentiment however that renoise should not be explored as a live tool. i like to sequence on the fly, which is not so easy to do with other performance tools. i think a good live set with one instance of renoise would be achievable if there were simply capacity for more instruments. if i want to be able to play samples at any pitch, they each have to occupy their own “instrument” space. if i’m trying to assemble enough sample material for a whole liveset that way, 0x80 slots for instruments is a pretty low ceiling.

i shudder at the idea of taking static loops from renoise patches and importing them into ableton live. my own work doesn’t lend itself well to loop based performance.

-anti

oh shit taktik, that’s awesome.

I’m going to try that out … that’s going to be super helpful if it works like I think it does. :)

Ableton seems to be pretty useful, but a bit pricy. And I didn’t like the look of the GUI. I want to use a tracker live. Renoise already have a lot of the functions I’m looking for in a live setup, and I plan to use it.

A drag&drop playlist might be really nice if it could be made to work smoothly.

just noticed this thread for the first time from bantai’s link in a different thread - I cant seem to get this to work (in the 1.9 beta)
sorry to be annoying, but could you be more specific about how to get this to work with an example other than in the default renoise song directory (which is many layers removed, all my songs are on a different hard drive altogether to program files)