Loop Point Automation

I feel like a complete nonce,
I thought this was real! XD

Here i am looking through the devices wondering How in the F are you doing this… Then the realization comes. :blush:/>

Trouble is, we can actually already do this right now. I forgot how to do it though, but it’s available through the OSC/MIDI subsystem.

IT-Alien wrote the main code for doing it, then me under a different name added to it. Though I’ve forgotten where all of this is posted.

All the source code for doing it is here somewhere in the forum. But I’m not sure how to get to it. I think it’s in this account: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?/user/886-choice/
but it may be in this one: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?/user/8106-moonriders/

Forum software isn’t letting me look through the posts.

really though, all that’s needed is someone with time and experience to write the plugin/addon dealy.

EDIT: oh yeah, the actual usage is for sample offset manipulation but it’ll work the same.

1 Like

similar idea here sample offset modulation and crossmixing , LFO controled loopoints would be welcome.

There’s a tool that does what you need.

Maybe it’s already been mentioned, but please be aware that this feature would ideally need the possibility to make a pitch-change in realtime for the note to stay in tune - at least when using it with short loops. Otherwise the pitch would become lower when the loop range becomes larger and synth like modulations will be very limited. I think the implementation of loop point automation needs careful consideration because of this.

I briefly alluded to this at the end of the video where it was mentioned to run at 48KHz, as this affects how things sound with really short loops (most notably at higher pitches). Personally I really like how it messes with the sound and is one of the things I’d like to make use of if this feature was implemented. But I can totally see how this wouldn’t be musically useful for many people.

brilliant!!!

When you move both loop points parallelly it usually stays in tune (depending on the sample of course), when you move only one it will change pitch, i think that is all i want from this feature, not a pitch correction effect on top of it.

1 Like

This sounds like a very great idea…
I’m just trying to puzzle out the damage when both start and end points are automated when the link button is active.
I just think that loop-offset point and loop-size like Afta’s tool already does would do a better job in that case. The loop offset then simply moves the whole section. In case the end-point should remain, the loop-size should be enlarged in the automation frames.
I’m not sure if could be done with link option without introducing stuff like “locking” automation parameters. (Would not hurt to have that feature, but i’m not sure if people would use the locking mechanism a lot outside your proposed DSP)

I understand. This will limit its synthesizing capabilities when it comes to waveform modulation.

I can’t see why, am i missing something here?
To me it sounds like you want some kind of autotune effect on top of the loop point modulation, maybe i misunderstood something?

Nope. I’m saying it should be capable of adjusting the pitch (speed of sample playback, not FFT stuff) to keep the original note pitch when changing loop size. Otherwise it will be possible to “scroll” the loop window, but it wouldn’t be very usable to change the size of the loop (with a pitch slide as a side effect). Talking about short looping waveforms here…

Ok, a function that compensates the time, slows down when shrinking the loop and goes faster when enlarging the loop. I want to be able to turn it off though, but couldn’t hurt to add this feature. A manual workaround could be to automate a pitch slider at the same time as you move the loop point, but not as convenient.

tres cool!

very well thought out implementation strategy too.

if this were implemented it might blow up the whole braindance genre.

+1

Here is a vst that works in this way but with LIMITATION compared with renoise
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jez.price/players.htm

With moving loop points togheter finally you can create wavetable sounds…PPG…Wavestation…Vector…WONDERFULLLLLL!!!

There’s a tool that does what you need.
https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-loop-control/41463

Thanks! smile.gif finaly something smile.gifbut i thing it will not be as smooth as it would be with faded loop points…

hm. installed it, but its not showing in the doepfer list…

I’m just trying to puzzle out the damage when both start and end points are automated when the link button is active.
I just think that loop-offset point and loop-size like Afta’s tool already does would do a better job in that case. The loop offset then simply moves the whole section. In case the end-point should remain, the loop-size should be enlarged in the automation frames.
I’m not sure if could be done with link option without introducing stuff like “locking” automation parameters. (Would not hurt to have that feature, but i’m not sure if people would use the locking mechanism a lot outside your proposed DSP)

Excellent point, I never considered that people would move both the Start and End parameters while linked; that could certainly cause issues. The point of the Link mode was to allow you to move the whole loop around in real-time with a single hardware mod-wheel/slider/dial, though I guess we could just use the Hydra for that.

just wanted to add that having realtime crossfade looping would also be great in the sampler. Combining loop point automation with this could be super cool.

WOW YES. Thinking about some of the sounds I could get out of this concept and I’m really feeling it.

I’ve seen a few tools that can do this but they’re kind of unstable to work with so a native implementation would be really great.

With moving loop points togheter finally you can create wavetable sounds…PPG…Wavestation…Vector…WONDERFULLLLLL!!!

didnt trackers have that back in the atari days?